Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Sign Painting Newbie questions
Sign Painting Newbie questions
Tele295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-16 11:42 am   Permalink

I found a nice piece of untreated wood for a tiki sign. I stained it with Miniwax special walnut and it's beautiful.

QUESTION 1: Do I have to seal it before I paint words on it? I like the rough look, but I don't want the paint to be absorbed by the wood and look washed out.

QUESTION 2: If unsealed, what kind of paint should I use for the words? I presume if it's sealed that any paint will work.

Please help, ohana!

View Profile of Tele295 Send a personal message to Tele295  Goto the website of Tele295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-10-16 1:41 pm   Permalink

I wish I could answer these questions. At least I'll look forward to reading any posts that come up. Sometimes it's best to just experiment before using your best piece of wood. Good Luck, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-16 1:58 pm   Permalink

That was good advice Wendy just gave you.
I give my frond pendents a stain bath
then I spray clear to seal them.
Then I use a black faux glaze I can wipe off.
I clear it so it doesn't soak in &
I can wipe it off.
Then I clear it again to seal it & it's done.

[ This Message was edited by: Will carve 2016-10-16 14:00 ]

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor Pineapple
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-10-17 12:00 pm   Permalink

One Shot lettering enamel would be best. A cheaper alternative would be to letter your copy with a good acrylic latex primer, then use acrylics over that. Have fun!

View Profile of Professor Pineapple Send a personal message to Professor Pineapple  Goto the website of Professor Pineapple     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-12-12 04:19 am   Permalink

The Minwax should seal it, but if it is going outside I would use extra sealer. I use 1 Shot as well and it is weather proof pretty much. If you don't want to spend a lot of cash, Testor's modeling enamel is pretty much the same as 1 Shot and you can get it in flat or glossy. If you want it to look like it has been around for a while and are keeping it inside, cheap acrylics don't usually cover so well and have a nice faded look if you dry brush them.

Have fun!

View Profile of TU Send a personal message to TU      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-12-16 03:29 am   Permalink

I usually get feedback from the paint team at the hardware store. I use One Shot for sign writing, but for a one off like this an exterior grade paint should be fine, just get one that's compatible with the base coat.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-12-16 05:29 am   Permalink

"then I spray clear to seal them."
Willcarve

When I do touch up on things with paint I also do a satin coat, I do it to
even out the brush strokes and make the different coats of paints/stains look
better together.

And it seals too, win, win.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation