FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Rum recommendations while traveling in the UK and Iceland
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Rum recommendations while traveling in the UK and Iceland
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-31 12:26 pm   Permalink

Are there any special rums that I should smuggle home in my suitcase? I live very close to Ontario, Canada, so I can already get Cuban Havana Club. Anything special though, that isn't available here in the US?

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbeyer68
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-10-31 2:08 pm   Permalink

When I traveled to the UK and Ireland last Spring, I was amazed at the number of Demerara rums available. I am not sure what is available in Canada but in the United States there are few options. I brought home O.V.D. and Woods Old Navy.

The same can be said about Martinique rums. There are a ton of options available in the UK that may not be available in North America.

Rick in Texas

View Profile of rbeyer68 Send a personal message to rbeyer68  Goto the website of rbeyer68     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uk_chris123

Posted: 2016-11-01 10:13 am   Permalink

Hi all the way from the sunny UK. (not) I think most Rums here are readily available in the USA. You should look in any large supermarket as they all stock a varied array of alcohol and you may find something a bit different. Some of the supermarkets 'own' brand Rums are not too bad. I am lucky enough to have a really good 'wine shop' nearby (Cambridgeshire) and they stock a really good range of all types of spirits and wines. See the link below. Go to 'take a tour' and have a good look around. It should give you an idea of whats available. You can zoom in on each bottle but takes a bit of getting used to.

http://www.wadsworthwines.co.uk/

Apart from this then it is just a case of looking on the internet. I assume you will be visiting London. Then many places to look at and see what you can find. I assume you will also be calling into Trader Vics. Not been there before but going in two weeks time, and trying to visit a couple of other bars as well.

Hope you enjoy your visit here and let me know if I can help in any other way. Chris

View Profile of uk_chris123 Send a personal message to uk_chris123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-11-01 12:53 pm   Permalink

I agree that Woods is a great one to grab. Lambs is another you never see in the US. I would personally stock up on Agricole rums as well.

You know your stuff so I am sure you will find some quality rums to bring home.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Swizzler

Posted: 2016-11-01 1:05 pm   Permalink

I agree with Rick; Wood's 100 (57% navy proof) and OVD (40%) are excellent rich dark demeraras that have no equivalents in North America as far as I know. They are great for mixing but a bit harsh for sipping. Wood's is English, OVD is Scottish and stands for Old Vatted Demerara. Well obviously they're Guyanan, but they are aged in the UK.

Recipe:
Shrunken Heid (based on Shrunken Skull)
1oz lime juice
1oz home-made grenadine
1oz Havana Club Anejo (or another dry gold rum)
1oz OVD (Wood's 100 is good too)

Shake with crushed ice

Enjoy.

View Profile of The Swizzler Send a personal message to The Swizzler      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbeyer68
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-02 08:33 am   Permalink

I see a Shrunken Head in my future.

Rick in Texas

View Profile of rbeyer68 Send a personal message to rbeyer68  Goto the website of rbeyer68     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-11-02 2:34 pm   Permalink

First up, if you're coming to the UK Gerrys is a must - it's a shop in London with a great selection. As an FYI it's walking distance from Trader Vics.

Demerara rum wise:

OVD is a strongly flavoured, think like Myers (if it was Guyanese). Lambs is actually surprisingly good considering it's a mainstay in lots of pubs. Woods is good, more overproof flavour & mixable in your Zombies etc.

It's been a while since I've had any of 3 - I discovered El Dorado 8 or Lemon Hart 151 so use them.

Out of the three, for the variety from El Dorado 5 or 8, I'd recommend Woods but if you've got the space try all three.

If you've got the cash, the
MountainOfCrushedIce website might give you a few ideas. There have also been a few recent releases of cask aged El Dorado 15 I'm not sure if you have seen but they cost more than the 21 year old.

Agricoles is another option - I prefer Saint James Rhum Vieux for tiki drinks (it's still freely available here) or Trois Riveras Blanc / La Mauny Blanc for ti punch (55°). But there definitely a few types in the UK to check out. I've seen the old teardrop shaped Clement XO available too.

England has a strong gin scene at the moment - not for me but Cotswolds Dry Gin or Caorunn Scottish Gin are both recommended by gin drinking friends.

We also have a range of English bitters that you might not have seen & other European bitters available (like limited edition Bitter Truth, the Spainish firm Droplets or German Ferdinands).

If you are a beer fan, British companies do some cracking modern style IPAs, porters & stouts - Brewdog are the arguably the market leader but my favourite is a company called Beavertown, I rate all their beers really highly & they've got some seasonal ranges that are even better.

I would definitely say there's a few things to whet your appetite! Gerrys in London is the place for a one stop shop & a quick visit to Trader Vics

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-11-02 2:42 pm   Permalink

St James is my favorite, and it is no longer distributed in the US. Hors De Age or any of the more expensive versions are what I would be smuggling!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbeyer68
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-03 05:57 am   Permalink

I second the comment about Gerry's. A very friendly staff and a HUGE inventory in a small shop. You could easily spend an hour just looking around.

Another rum that I bought that I forgot to mention was The Duppy Share. I have not opened it as I am stuck between the "I really want to try it" vs "I doubt I will get another bottle."

Rick in Texas

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-11-03 08:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-11-02 08:33, rbeyer68 wrote:
I see a Shrunken Head in my future.

Rick in Texas

That comes with getting older.
All of us have a Shrunken Head in our future.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbeyer68
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-03 10:40 am   Permalink

[/quote]

That comes with getting older.
All of us have a Shrunken Head in our future.

[/quote]

ba-dum-TSH. Nice.

Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-11-03 11:35 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone! I'm actually going to be in Cornwall, then northern Wales, then finally in Iceland. I'll have to find a good liquor store and bring home a few goodies.

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-11-04 06:25 am   Permalink

When in Rome don’t look for Chinese food.
So it looks like you need to get at least a bottle of this in Iceland…

Brennivín A distilled brand of schnapps that is considered Iceland’s signature liquor. It is sometimes called Svarti dauđi, meaning Black Death. It is made from fermented potato mash and is flavored with caraway seeds.

Brennivín is only produced in Iceland and only by one distillery. It is a novelty drink not consumed regularly by locals. It is however the traditional drink for the mid-winter feast, Ţorrablót, especially after eating putrefied shark flesh or hákarl. Some say it helps to mask the taste of the fish. Brennivín can count musician Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters among its fans and its claim to fame is being mentioned in their song Skin and Bones, the line being “brennivín and cigarettes”.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-11-04 06:46 am   Permalink

Ok here is a rum found online “Cornwall drinks and spirits”
BUT after seeing the other stuff rum don’t look like top choice.

I would want booze that I could whip out and go “I got this while visiting” “place you went to“
“it is a rare booze found only in place you went to”

Good Luck!!

LA HECHICERA RUM
70cl / 40%
La Hechicera Rum
A Colombian rum sourced and selected by the Riascos. blended from spirit matured for between 12 and 21 years in white oak. Pronounced 'etch-ee-seh-rah', the name means 'enchantress' in Spanish.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Reyka Vodka: Many would claim this Icelandic vodka is the best in the world. The water used to make Reyka comes from a 4,000 year old lava field. You will taste a smooth warmth with just a touch of vanilla flavoring. This vodka is brewed in one of the coldest places on Earth.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adnams Morello Cherry Liqueur
Adnams First Rate Gin is described by the Guardian as “really classy with bags of fresh juniper and orange”—but the company also produces this: a deep red morello cherry liqueur with punchy fruity layers of ripe cherry, made from its own vodka. “I love it because of the freshness of the fruit,” says Susanna Forbes.

You can drink it solo as a digestif; with sparkling wine as a Kir; or as an ingredient in cocktails. Oh yes, and Adnams also distils a Winter Spiced Liqueur—beautifully warming at this time of year
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sipsmith Gin
The company also makes a sloe gin that, according to Susanna Forbes of the website Drink Britain, has a complexity of flavours with notes of cherry, plums, and Seville orange. Better still, at this time of year it can be drunk mulled with apple juice and spices. Yum.

Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-11-04 06:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-11-04 06:25, tikiskip wrote:
Brennivín A distilled brand of schnapps that is considered Iceland’s signature liquor. It is sometimes called Svarti dauđi, meaning Black Death. It is made from fermented potato mash and is flavored with caraway seeds.

Definitely going to have to smuggle in some bennivin! And some hakarl too if I can.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation