FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki GOOD Movie Remakes (?)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
GOOD Movie Remakes (?)
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-21 1:39 pm   Permalink

AquaZombie,

I'm my humble opinion Mel Gibson's "Payback"
pales in comparison to "Point Blank". "Payback" would not even rate as a "Kojack" episode.

Mel's made some real stinkers lately.

Hey, Would not the "Patriot" qualify as a remake of "Braveheart"?

I think "Stalingrad" is a pretty good remake of "Italiano Brava Gente" with Peter Falk.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-22 11:39 am   Permalink

You have to understand that if a modern film doesn't make me completely nauseous, I give it a shaky thumbs up, only because my expectations are so low and I'm grateful and relieved no vomit was induced by the viewing. I book a movie theater for a living and aside from the classic cult stuff I host in "Thrilville" (including "Point Blank" a few years ago - of course that's the vastly superior version) I am forced to book contemporary crap as our bread and butter, since it is primarily a second run theater (where you can sit on couches and eat and drink beer and wine, which helps the movie go down, too.) "Payback" was a better remake than, say, the dreadful "Get Carter" with Stallone. But that doesn't mean it surpasses or even equals its predecessor, not even close. But it didn't make me throw up my pizza, either. That's the standard I go by. It's all relative. Hope I made that clear now.

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-22 12:03 pm   Permalink

Here are two of my favs...

Flesh Gordon

and

Shaving Ryan's Privates

dats some goooooood actin'

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-23 1:15 pm   Permalink

"...my expectations are so low and I'm grateful and relieved no vomit was induced by the viewing..."

I agree with ya there!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2003-08-23 5:06 pm   Permalink

There are a ton of bad remakes as hollywood runs out of ideas. My favorite Good remakes would be:
"Alien"-Update of "It!Terror From Beyond Space"And while I like the original "The Thing" ,John Carpenter's remake was true to the original short story "Who Goes There?"

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-25 11:43 am   Permalink

Kudos to you for recognizing that "Alien" is an uncredited remake of "It!The Terror From Beyond Space"! You know your stuff.

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation