FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Cap'n Crafty McGrim's Crimson Cutlass Tavern and World's Inn
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Cap'n Crafty McGrim's Crimson Cutlass Tavern and World's Inn
Donovan
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 06:43 am   Permalink

Super fun place. Me timbers be a shiverin'!

View Profile of Donovan Send a personal message to Donovan  Email Donovan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 23 days ago; 10:40 am   Permalink

Just ordered knobs for the cabinetry.

View Profile of Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II Send a personal message to Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 23 days ago; 10:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-12-29 05:25, tikiskip wrote:
Your "tiki bar" has very little tiki.

Wonder if Tiki Central needs a Pirate bar thread?

Is there a Pirate Central out there on the net?

And I like Pirate stuff FYI, But this is full blown Pirate bar.

Considering I have nothing built yet except a few odds and ends like the Treasure chest. Not even a bar yet, I find your comment totally out of wack with what I have done so far.

So I will take my cue from Mr Pupu Pants to Quote him when he was dealing with someone similar:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=28247&forum=20&start=135
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 5:42 pm Permalink

"Ah, Tikimyniki, I'm not even sure what that 'compliment' means and I don't care. You are the reason I stopped posting on Tiki Central for a little while.
Since no one has the courage to remove you, I'll make you a deal-- I'll ask that you don't leave any messages on this post and I won't acknowledge your existence here. Please don't even reply. I'll take your silence as the answer. Thank you."

Tikiskip finally how much Tiki is in my final design is not your call -it's mine. Personally, I plan to have a blend of both pirate and tiki, not that I care what you think.

- But Tikiskip I'll make you a deal-- I'll ask that you don't leave any messages on this post and I won't acknowledge your existence here. Please don't even reply. I'll take your silence as the answer. Thank you."

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-29 11:45 ]

View Profile of Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II Send a personal message to Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 12:00 pm   Permalink

"I'll ask that you don't leave any messages on this post and I won't acknowledge your existence here. Please don't even reply. I'll take your silence as the answer. Thank you."

That's not how it works, this is a public forum and people are free to post as they wish but there are guidelines to posting.
See below (tiki centrals guidelines not mine)
Now I did not say your bars sucks, all I said was "Your "tiki bar" has very little tiki"
At this point in time that is true right?

IMHO Mr. Pupu Pants bar is very tiki for the record.

So this will be my last post to your thread as you ask,UNLESS a comment is directed at me and then I must respond.

Er, good luck.

tiki centrals guidelines
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/about.php
"The Tiki that Tiki Central focuses on is a mid-century American invention that is Polynesia-inspired. We’re here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isn’t generic, watered down, or misguided. The definitive guide is The Book Of Tiki, and we highly recommend that everyone on Tiki Central get the book and read up."

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-12-29 12:09 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 23 days ago; 12:23 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-29 12:25 ]

Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 23 days ago; 12:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-12-29 12:00, tikiskip wrote:
"I'll ask that you don't leave any messages on this post and I won't acknowledge your existence here. Please don't even reply. I'll take your silence as the answer. Thank you."

That's not how it works, this is a public forum and people are free to post as they wish but there are guidelines to posting.
See below (tiki centrals guidelines not mine)
Now I did not say your bars sucks, all I said was "Your "tiki bar" has very little tiki"
At this point in time that is true right?

IMHO Mr. Pupu Pants bar is very tiki for the record.

So I this will be my last post to your thread as you ask,UNLESS a comment is directed at me and then I must respond.

Er, good luck.

tiki centrals guidelines
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/about.php
"The Tiki that Tiki Central focuses on is a mid-century American invention that is Polynesia-inspired. We’re here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isn’t generic, watered down, or misguided. The definitive guide is The Book Of Tiki, and we highly recommend that everyone on Tiki Central get the book and read up."

Quote you "Your "tiki bar" has very little tiki"
At this point in time that is true right?"

Incorrect. Where you get the idea it's a full blown anything let alone pirate sort of points to the fact that...well I have no idea where you get your "facts"

Currently it's more a tiki room. But hey, I will leave you to count up how much Tiki is in there for your Tiki Quota.

The Deck where I want to build the first of the bars. Slowly repairing the supporting joists then will replace the deck. The second one will be on the currently nonexistent 2nd level of the dock.
First though, I need to have the dock repaired so I can bring my 60ft Chinese junk finally in to dock. It's in South America currently.

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-29 12:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-29 12:34 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 12:34 pm   Permalink

Ok good luck.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 6:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-12-28 16:40, Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II wrote:
Ok preparing to carve the first of several Tiki.
Usually they use a chainsaw to carve them. My experience with chainsaws is limited.
So I decided to get an angle grinder with a chainsaw attachment.
Smaller, easier to control and hopefully less dangerous, since I am just making this up as I go

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Before you try carving with that set-up, read this...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18018&forum=7&vpost=211737
Taken from this thread...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18018&forum=7

And maybe find something a little easier to work with than what looks like a queen palm. That type is very hard and unless it's from an older tree and close to the base, it will probably crack and split as per this example from Buzzy...
Quote:

On 2006-08-26 11:11, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Problems I've had with queen palms:
I noticed that the centers split and crack extensively, while the outer inch or two is very hard. I thought I would hollow one out. It warped into a figure 8 after I removed the soft center

It warped until it actually split into two

Also, the cracks sometimes go all of the way to the edge in several places

They also get bugs and beetles in all of the cracks

I'd stop trying with these before you waste too much time. It will not be worth the effort, if you actually get one to work. They look tempting, but rarely work. I tried with about 6 different queen palm logs and finally just gave up. Mexican fan palms are the way to go

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 9:32 pm   Permalink

Unless I'm mistaken, I've got the same angle grinder at the Captain. There's a spring-coil lever one must press down to activate the thing, and as soon as pressure is released, it stops. Not the most quality of power tools, but it gets the job done.

I've been eyeing the blade attachment for about a year now. I was heartened to learn Tiki Tony uses this for his rough sculpting these days. And yes, it'd dangerous, but I've got two regular chainsaws and they're seriously dangerous as well if not handled properly. I've yet to see any indication that the OP is one to cut corners or take chances when it comes to carpentry or woodworking.

By the by, awesome find on those cabinet handles! They're going to look great!
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 22 days ago; 07:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-12-29 18:01, Heath wrote:
Quote:

On 2018-12-28 16:40, Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II wrote:
Ok preparing to carve the first of several Tiki.
Usually they use a chainsaw to carve them. My experience with chainsaws is limited.
So I decided to get an angle grinder with a chainsaw attachment.
Smaller, easier to control and hopefully less dangerous, since I am just making this up as I go

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Before you try carving with that set-up, read this...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18018&forum=7&vpost=211737
Taken from this thread...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18018&forum=7

And maybe find something a little easier to work with than what looks like a queen palm. That type is very hard and unless it's from an older tree and close to the base, it will probably crack and split as per this example from Buzzy...
Quote:

On 2006-08-26 11:11, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Problems I've had with queen palms:
I noticed that the centers split and crack extensively, while the outer inch or two is very hard. I thought I would hollow one out. It warped into a figure 8 after I removed the soft center

It warped until it actually split into two

Also, the cracks sometimes go all of the way to the edge in several places

They also get bugs and beetles in all of the cracks

I'd stop trying with these before you waste too much time. It will not be worth the effort, if you actually get one to work. They look tempting, but rarely work. I tried with about 6 different queen palm logs and finally just gave up. Mexican fan palms are the way to go

Thanks! I will read everything you posted before I try this. Really wary of making these Tikis.

Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 22 days ago; 07:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-12-29 21:32, Prikli Pear wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken, I've got the same angle grinder at the Captain. There's a spring-coil lever one must press down to activate the thing, and as soon as pressure is released, it stops. Not the most quality of power tools, but it gets the job done.

I've been eyeing the blade attachment for about a year now. I was heartened to learn Tiki Tony uses this for his rough sculpting these days. And yes, it'd dangerous, but I've got two regular chainsaws and they're seriously dangerous as well if not handled properly. I've yet to see any indication that the OP is one to cut corners or take chances when it comes to carpentry or woodworking.

By the by, awesome find on those cabinet handles! They're going to look great!

Thanks! I found the Knobs on Esty.
I will also see how Tiki Tony does it. I also found a sheild for the angle grinder which I pan on getting along with a face shield. A friend suggested that since they "spit" he said.

Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 22 days ago; 07:32 am   Permalink

Had breakfast out on the dock and took Measurements.
Very Foggy Morning Almost "Silent Hill". Several neighbor's Boats/Yachts passed by on the way to Lake Pontchartrain or the Gulf while I ate and you didn't see them until the very last moment.

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2018-12-30 07:33 ]

Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 22 days ago; 07:50 am   Permalink

On a side note finished up a bookcase for my wife for her library. She wants a steampunk style library.
It's Kind of ok for a first try. Needs more LED lights in it though.

Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 12 days ago; 10:09 am   Permalink

Having take everyone's advice to heart about the Palm log I got for free, have dug up a better one I think.
This is some sort of regular wood I found in a nearby bayou.
Will try carving that after I read up about how to carve from above posts.

Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 12 days ago; 10:09 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2019-01-09 10:10 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation