FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Cap'n Crafty McGrim's Crimson Cutlass Tavern and World's Inn
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Cap'n Crafty McGrim's Crimson Cutlass Tavern and World's Inn
Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-07-22 05:34 am   Permalink

Here is where Pirate Tiki Bar Protoype#1 will be built. You can see where we are starting to replace and stain planks.

Early morning, at my dock having breakfast and where I will build the "World's Inn & Crimson Cutlass" on the yet nonexsistant 2nd level.

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-07-22 07:49 ]

View Profile of Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II Send a personal message to Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-07-26 05:28 am   Permalink

Worked on getting the Woodworking shop more organized. Added a pegboard tool organizer, the first of several.
Before:

After

Some more staining and sanding of the deck.

In the corner here will be where Tiki Test Prototype Bar #1 will be.

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-08-06 15:02 ]

View Profile of Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II Send a personal message to Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-06 10:02 pm   Permalink

Looking forward to your build. Lot's of potential. CHEERS

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-13 6:37 pm   Permalink

I too will be eagerly following your build! Your location is killer. Can't wait to see how it develops.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-09-01 6:13 pm   Permalink

Well Hurricane Harvey gave us a slight pause. The Storm Surge was very apparent!

At the Beginning of the Storm in our area:

Then the rain stopped but the storm surge started:
The Boathouse deck and the entire dock then disappeared under water. Talk about making you nervous. :

Several Hours later the Surge subsided:

Well this settles the fact "The World's Inn" will be up on the 2nd level of the dock (Yet to be Built)

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-09-01 18:15 ]

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-05 2:00 pm   Permalink

Whew! Close call there! I know we were sweating Harvey as well--15" of rain in two days isn't something to take lightly--but the weather broke in our favor and we didn't suffer anything comparable to Houston, Corpus or Port Aransas did. Glad the storm surge only resulted in "helpful hints" for your future build-out!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-09-11 09:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-09-05 14:00, Prikli Pear wrote:
Whew! Close call there! I know we were sweating Harvey as well--15" of rain in two days isn't something to take lightly--but the weather broke in our favor and we didn't suffer anything comparable to Houston, Corpus or Port Aransas did. Glad the storm surge only resulted in "helpful hints" for your future build-out!

Thanks! Where are you located?

Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-09-20 05:47 am   Permalink

Been working on the workshop. Added more shelves, finished drill dremel drill stand.

Been raiding Spirit Halloween store got skulls for the bar's tiki torches...a pirate/tiki bar can never have enough skulls.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Skeleton-Tiki-Torch/

Picked up more wood chisels and a new wooden mallet added another pegboard tool organizer next to the first.

Next project is a mobile table for the sander I just got..

Will also try carving for the first time.

Planning on trying to make a Skyrim Dragon Priest mask for the bar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tRt0WVXBmc

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-09-20 05:52 ]

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-20 10:02 am   Permalink

Quote:
Thanks! Where are you located?

Central Texas. Harvey's eye was parked about 40 miles southeast of us for two days. Lots of wind, lots of rain, but not so much of either that had been expected.

Those skeletonized tiki torches are going to look great!

[ This Message was edited by: Prikli Pear 2017-09-20 10:03 ]

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-09-25 10:01 am   Permalink

That is some scary water!
Good luck with your build.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 21 days ago; 9:52 pm   Permalink

Started building props for the bar. Decided I needed a pirate chest complete with Skull on the front.

The top is made out of Zebra wood and walnut. First sanding it looks pretty clean. Planning to use the Japanese technique of Sho Shugi ban or wood burning the surface to bring out the grain and preserve the chest.

Sanding is coming along for the chest. Begun work on the skull

First cut on the skull.

This morning I am continuing to smooth the Pirate's Chest top using a brass/hardwood mini planer.
Will then sand the top after I get it to my liking.
Also bought some brass strips for the inlay

11/02 Worked on the Skull some more

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-11-02 09:22 ]

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 20 days ago; 08:17 am   Permalink

Looks like you're loaded for bear, Cap'n! I'm gobsmacked by your ambitious skull carve, and that chest is looking mighty impressive already. Mini-planers and inlays are out of my league and get me twitchy. Maybe someday I'll work up to those. Until then, I'll keep an eye on your build to see what techniques I can borrow!

Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 19 days ago; 06:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-30 08:17, Prikli Pear wrote:
Looks like you're loaded for bear, Cap'n! I'm gobsmacked by your ambitious skull carve, and that chest is looking mighty impressive already. Mini-planers and inlays are out of my league and get me twitchy. Maybe someday I'll work up to those. Until then, I'll keep an eye on your build to see what techniques I can borrow!

Thanks Pear! I hope I can show and learn some cool techniques!

Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 19 days ago; 06:47 am   Permalink

This week getting the stuff together to do the Japanese technique of preserving/antiquing wood "Shou-sugi-ban Yakisugi on the Pirate's Chest. Which is using fire to lightly scorch/char the wood to make the grain stand out.

I did it once before, sort of worried about the plywood will test first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvhvR8KwWhw

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-10-31 06:49 ]

stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 07:44 am   Permalink

i've been waiting for the right customer to come along to do a sign this way - can't wait to try it

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation