FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Cap'n Crafty McGrim's Crimson Cutlass Tavern and World's Inn
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Cap'n Crafty McGrim's Crimson Cutlass Tavern and World's Inn
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-31 12:05 pm   Permalink

Very interesting. I've used the scorch-and-wire-brush technique on my routered trim. The secondary application of water(?) and another round of heat is interesting. That really evens out the tonal quality of the lumber. I've only done this with pine boards, so plywood may well react very differently.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-11-01 09:48 am   Permalink

Morning!

Well other than nerving myself up to burn the Treasure Chest for Sho Shugi ban and then do inlays I am waiting for chest hardware I ordered.

I need more props for the Pirate bar so I wanted something that's Tiki without being Tiki to start.

Settled on Legend of Zelda's Majora's Mask.

Take one image blown up to the right size...had to make a run to Office Depot to get that.

Add a Nicely planed piece of wood.

Carbon paper

Lots of tracing

TA DA! Image transferred.

What it's supposed to look like ( We will see how much I balls it up) :

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-11-01 10:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-11-01 10:51 ]

View Profile of Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II Send a personal message to Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 30 days ago; 4:44 pm   Permalink

Started making Pirate Tiki Torches.

Also made a sharpening Stone box for my sharpening stone.

Used Sho Shugi ban on the Pirate Chest then applied Tung Oil. Now waiting on the chest Hardware and finishing up the pirate Skull carving for the front.

View Profile of Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II Send a personal message to Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 28 days ago; 07:30 am   Permalink

Stained the Skull Tiki Torches with wood stain.
The glue has set so will cut away the cable ties.

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-11-19 07:31 ]

Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 26 days ago; 5:26 pm   Permalink

Did some more work on the Deck. Decided to Sho Shugi Ban the whole deck.
First couple of planks done. I think sho shugu ban looks better for the deck than just cedar staining.

Doing the fence too.

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-11-21 17:31 ]

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 25 days ago; 07:11 am   Permalink

Very nice! I agree that the sho shugu ban gives the wood a greater degree of color variation and visual texture. You're going to have the nicest deck in a hundred mile radius!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 25 days ago; 4:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-22 07:11, Prikli Pear wrote:
Very nice! I agree that the sho shugu ban gives the wood a greater degree of color variation and visual texture. You're going to have the nicest deck in a hundred mile radius!

Appreciate that!

Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 21 days ago; 1:41 pm   Permalink

More Sho Shugi Ban planking for the deck.

The Beckets came in for the Pirate Chest. Now to make a pair of Walnut Eyebolts and leather chafing sleeves for the beckets.

Also did some more work on the chest's brass inlay

Just sitting here now, carving the eyebolts and jamming to OK GO and Led Zeppelin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZB_rGFyeU

https://vimeo.com/4868843

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II 2017-11-26 14:09 ]

EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 20 days ago; 07:52 am   Permalink

I'm interested to see how Majora's Mask turns out there I've been toying with the idea of making a couple "Tiki masks" based on the face paint of a couple Samoan wrestlers in Japan... "Tiki" but not exactly

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 20 days ago; 8:55 pm   Permalink

The woodwork's coming along great. Progress may be slow, but you're going to be so happy that you stuck it out once it's finished.

OK Go and Zep are a heck of a combo. Can't say as I've ever thought to pair them, although I like both.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation