advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Clement Sirop de Canne
Clement Sirop de Canne
arbeck

Posted: 2017-01-06 07:45 am   Permalink

I tried to search for this, and didn't see much in the way of discussion of this product.

I noticed that one recipe in Smuggler's Cove (The Swizzle Francais) uses it. I was at my local store yesterday and noticed that they actually carry that product. It's about $10. I don't mind paying $10 for the passion fruit, falernum, or orgeat syrups as they actually aren't that cheap to make. But this seems like quite a bit to spend on basically a simple syrup.

The website and the bottle are a little lacking about what flavors are actually in it (I believe the ingredient list is natural aromas). The website implies clove, vanilla, and cinnamon. Given that I have cinnamon syrup and vanilla syrup, I wonder if just mixing those would be close. Of course it is made from the sugar cane in a different way so it might have some other flavors.

Has anyone bought this? Is it worth keeping around?

[ This Message was edited by: arbeck 2017-01-06 11:44 ]

View Profile of arbeck Send a personal message to arbeck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-01-06 11:31 am   Permalink

I've contemplated buying this as well but still haven't. I imagine it has an earthier flavor to it like agricole rums that are similarly made directly from the sugar cane. Hope some folks can chime in.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-06 11:53 am   Permalink

I have not tried the Clement, though I have gone through a couple of bottles of the one from Rhum J.M. and really like it. I believe it's called Sirop J.M. and from what I understand it's not too dissimilar to the Clement. I bought it to make 'Ti Punch but it is excellent to experiment with in other drinks. I am actually using it right now in a drink I'm trying to create instead of simple syrup or honey because of its unique flavour.

While it certainly has those notes of cinnamon and vanilla, it's not a syrup where those flavours are the top-heavy main flavours. If you took half an ounce of cinnamon syrup and half an ounce of vanilla you'd have an ounce of cinnamon-vanilla syrup, which is amazing, but you certainly wouldn't have Sirop de Canne, if you know what I mean. It's more subtle than that and there are other elements / flavours at work in there as well.

I will admit to initially being a bit underwhelmed, in the sense that I was buying something that I was going to use for only one cocktail and, as you said, it's only a simple syrup. However, one happy accident and several experiments later I find it to be a more complex ingredient than I initially sussed it to be. Obviously YMMV.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JeffCleveland

Posted: 2017-01-06 1:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-01-06 11:53, HopeChest wrote:

While it certainly has those notes of cinnamon and vanilla, it's not a syrup where those flavours are the top-heavy main flavours. If you took half an ounce of cinnamon syrup and half an ounce of vanilla you'd have an ounce of cinnamon-vanilla syrup, which is amazing, but you certainly wouldn't have Sirop de Canne, if you know what I mean. It's more subtle than that and there are other elements / flavours at work in there as well.

I will admit to initially being a bit underwhelmed, in the sense that I was buying something that I was going to use for only one cocktail and, as you said, it's only a simple syrup. However, one happy accident and several experiments later I find it to be a more complex ingredient than I initially sussed it to be. Obviously YMMV.

I agree with HopeChest! I have used my bottle exclusively for making Ti' Punch and those cinnamon, vanilla and clove flavors are extremely subtle. One difference that I would point out is that is more viscous that simple syrup. It's more like a 2:1 syrup.

I don't think you "have" to use it for this recipe but it will be a different drink if you simply combine cinnamon and vanilla. But for only $10, I say try it. And then take HopeChest's advice and try in in other drinks. It would make a delicious daiquiri and an amazing Old Fashioned. And while you're deciding what to do after that, you'll be able to enjoy that Ti' Punch I was talking about...

View Profile of JeffCleveland Send a personal message to JeffCleveland      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-11 12:25 am   Permalink

I use Trois Riveras Sirop de Canne for old fashioneds - IMO it is worth paying for a simple syrup if it's better than you make at home!

I decant it into smaller bottles & add a little Bacardi 151 float to help preserve it. I think Trois Riveras is unspiced but Clement, Rhum Jm etc are spiced.

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arbeck

Posted: 2017-01-11 07:08 am   Permalink

I went ahead and purchased it. As for preserving it, this post explains my preservation methods for syrups.

I used it in a daiquiri, a ti' punch, and a mai tai. I'm not sure any of the extra flavors came out in the mai tai or daiquiri vs. my normal demerara syrup. However, I felt like the ti' punch was probably a little better.

View Profile of arbeck Send a personal message to arbeck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 8:45 pm   Permalink

Recipe on bottle says:

Way to sweet

Will have to mess around with it or use a lot less

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2017-01-25 20:55 ]

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arbeck

Posted: 26 days ago; 07:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-01-25 20:45, hang10tiki wrote:
Recipe on bottle says:

Way to sweet

Will have to mess around with it or use a lot less

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2017-01-25 20:55 ]

I boost the rum to 2oz and use about 1/4oz of syrup. I believe in the Smugglers Cove book they only use a teaspoon of syrup, but I found that a little tart with the lime.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation