FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Cap City Tiki Crawl (October 6,7,8 for 2017) Addresses UPDATES just sent by Evite
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Cap City Tiki Crawl (October 6,7,8 for 2017) Addresses UPDATES just sent by Evite
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-06 07:11 am   Permalink

More of the mugs are drying and

Some have made it to the kiln for firing.

Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-07 08:31 am   Permalink

These photos were taken between 12/13/16 and 12/22/16. Working constantly on the Sacramento Crawl mug along with the Wish List #7.

I really enjoy making the mugs for the crawl. The idea to use this

came from Duane Orzol aka Psycho Tiki D. I went here growing up and it was a treat. I remember lots of nets and nautical decorations. I was too young to recognize tikis but they did have them a block up at Southgate Shopping center.

Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-08 07:00 am   Permalink

More steps in making the Sacramento Crawl mug 2017. These photos were taken between 12/22/16 and 1/16/17.

Because it is so cold outside all the mugs had to be scrubbed in a big pot in the house.

After sanding and dusting another load is in the kiln.

The boxes for the mugs have arrived.

Sanding and

loading the kiln.

Dan is a wonderful help.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-09 06:53 am   Permalink

These photos of the Crawl mug production were taken between 1/28/17 and 2/24/17.

I really did work. I re-carved every mug we cast and I did all the sanding. I'm just a wreck when working and Dan always looks good so I like to take the photos of him.

So these show the sanding, firing and washing of the mugs as they are made. Dan is my right arm and left hand. I'm dealing with carpal tunnel now after too many extra long days so he is doing all of the washing.

Cheers, Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-12 07:37 am   Permalink

Glazing begins with the Sacramento Crawl mugs. These photos were taken between 2/26/17 and 3/5/17.

I do Artist Proofs so Dan can be paid, he works for tikis, and to have some as first come first serve specials at the crawl. Any left over go up for sale. My AP's cost the same as the crawl mug run $85.

I have already decided that the mug will be a light stone grey with purple undertones and a purple interior and purple Tahiti on the back.

I started by using the purple glaze on the bottom. I covered the bottom and then decided to

wipe it off around the edges to highlight Sacramento, CA.

I glazed the inside of one and then decided that this wasn't working well and changed my technique.

I did three with the purple interiors and the purple bottoms.

I put one inside this box and while wearing a face mask I sprayed the three mugs with the grey glaze.

I let the three mugs dry.

Then two of the mugs went back in the box. One I sprayed the purple from the top down. The second one I sprayed from the bottom up. This will tell me which way works best. The third one I left plain grey on the outside.

Now it was time to make the AP's for the crawl and Dan. I decided to use brown bottoms for most of the AP's. I got smarter and didn't cover the entire bottom.

Now I only had to wipe off the extra glaze over the words.

With that done they are ready to glaze. Since I'm using glazes with crystals they have to be done by hand.

I also glazed the accidental lamp for Dan. I put black on the mug and then wiped it off and then I covered it with a crackle glaze to see if I could get those cracked lines to show up.

My poor kitchen. Glazing is a mess and I seem to do my best to make it worse.

Done and drying. I'm working towards a kiln load so I can fire.

All fun and games in the tiki factory as the best part begins. Cheers, Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-13 7:49 pm   Permalink

Here is the final on the Sacramento Crawl mug for 2017.

$85 at the crawl and $85 plus shipping after the crawl. If you are on the list from last year found on page one of this thread you don't need to sign up. If you don't want a mug letting me know you are cancelling would help me out.

Thank you all so much, Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-14 7:55 pm   Permalink

More work on the Sacramento Crawl mug for October 2017. These photos were taken 3/9/17 to 3/12/17.

To start all the mugs in the hallway and this is only the first table, must be moved to the kitchen and the nook. Along the shelf are the AP's just out of the kiln. Dan snagged his share but there will be a dozen at the crawl that can be bought as an extra or instead of the regular crawl mug. First come first serve.

Here they are surrounding the stove. You can see why I don't cook.

Here are some in the nook.

I had Dan spray water into a batch of the mugs so I could start glazing.

This is as close as I got to having a photo of all the mugs together. I should have had Dan leave the room as he is blocking some.

I got out all of the supplies that I would need for glazing the inside and bottom of each mug.

See that hand? It's mine I really do work it's that Dan is so much cuter in photos. I poured the glaze to the top and waited 30 seconds and poured it out into a pitcher.

Then I put the mug upside down into a heavy duty vase to finish draining. If too much glaze is on the bottom of the inside it can bubble or crack the mug.

While the mug is upside down I glazed the bottoms.

Then I go back and remove the excess revealing the Sacramento, CA.

While I'm glazing I had Dan put boxes together and also number them them. Gosh I just noticed he matches the couch.

I'm getting tired looking at these photos. Or maybe it's because I did my 8 hours of glazing Wish List projects today.

Cheers, Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-15 08:12 am   Permalink

Dan finished his assigned chore and left to play records.

I used up all this glaze for the insides of the mugs.

I scrapped out the glaze from each vase into a pitcher and saved it for the next day when this would begin again.

The next day.

Each time I take one out of the vase I clean up the top and if the glaze isn't thick enough I add some around the rim.

One by one the go on a tray until Dan can remove them from the kitchen.

A couple of days later they are dry and the weather is right for spraying. I need no more than a light breeze. Wind will carry too much glaze away from what I am spraying. I don't use the box when I have so many to do.

Mugs get carried all over the place during production. From when they are cast, cleaned, dried, sanded, bisque fired, glazed and fired again and touch ups as needed and fired another time. It's like lifting weights. So from the house they went outside and to the

kiln shed. Now I'm ready to glaze them all.

Most photos are of Dan so I thought I would show myself for a change.

The first time I used a spray gun everything I sprayed stuck to the turn table. I had to keep washing the turn table then I thought why not use the spikes.

I can spray all day long without the glaze building up to reach the mugs.

When I start I wonder if I can get them done, then one by one they are.

Each time I finish a tray of mugs Dan carries it to the shed or into the house.

I put tape between my eyebrows so that I don't frown all day long and make those lines. I iron them out with tape.

I pushed to get this first part done. They all must be sprayed again, I'll show that next time. Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-16 07:36 am   Permalink

Continuing to work on the Sacramento Crawl mug for October 2017.

These photos were taken from 3/14/17 to 3/26/17.

The grey glaze on all the mugs dried and now I took each mug and putting the sprayer down below the mug I sprayed on some purple glaze. It is so subtle that I don't know why I did it. But I liked the shading.

Once this dried it was time to load and fire and

load and fire and

load and fire and

load and fire. I did 7 two layers in the kiln loads.

The fun part is unloading the kiln.

Dan's job was to carry them into the house and then to inspect them to see if any needed touch up.

Dan is a good inspector. It only takes one spec of dust to cause a defect that needs work.

Overall there were not that many that did.

It's fun to see them lined up with a few of the AP's.

They are not done. There is still one more step to go.

Cheers, Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-17 08:35 am   Permalink

Finishing the Sacramento Crawl mug for October 2017. These photos were taken 4/2/17 to 4/8/17.

I wanted to highlight the name Tahiti on the back. I bought a can of pin stripping paint at a car detailing shop. $25! I hoped it would last for the 65 mugs I've made. I did not use it for the AP's. This is durable enamel.

I uniformly applied the paint to this sponge. I save all my plastic lids to use as disposable easels.

I then applied it by blotting on the raised letters.

The name of the glaze I used for the interior was Purple. The pin stripping paint name was Purple.

I hoped when it dried that they would match. Nope, not that lucky.

Dan said it didn't bother him so, OK I did them all.

I printed 65 signature cards and autographed and numbered them.

Dan got ready. I matched a box, mug and card and gave them to him to box.

The crawl mug is DONE. Now I will just work on the Wish List #7.

This feels so good. I will try to accomplish the next crawl mug ahead of schedule too. I've already got an idea and a place that I found by going through all the phone books at the state library from 1912 on.

Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-05 7:35 pm   Permalink

One more Artist Proofs to fire. I'll have them at each stop on the crawl. You can get one as a second mug or as your only mug. Either way they are both $85 each. See you there! Wendy

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-05 5:24 pm   Permalink

Working on my email list and the venue for our weekend. You can send me a message with your email. I do have a list from last year also.

CRAWL CRAWL CRAWL

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-25 1:43 pm   Permalink

If your name is on the list of crawlers or on my list from last year I have a mug for you if you want one. Also there will be 10 AP's at the same price of $85, first at my truck the first to grab one. It can be your crawl mug or an extra.

Thank you all, Wendy

rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-01 8:29 pm   Permalink

Count me in!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-09-06 6:27 pm   Permalink

The SACRAMENTO CRAWL 2017 is coming up soon. I have made the crawl mug.

This is the list of those who wanted one last year. If you want to stay on or get off the list please let me know.

I am accepting payment NOW for the mug via Paypal as long as the money to family option is used.
My account is my email address. If you need my email addess let me know. This is for those attending.

I will ship and collect payment including shipping costs from those who miss the event after the crawl ends.

The crawl is October 6th - 8th. Run by VampiressRN. She updates page one here if there are changes.

The mug is $85. I hand-carved the detail into every mug because my mold wasn't good enough. I hope you can tell.

11 VampiressRN PAID
#13 Laura Lee Riley 2017 PAID
#20 TikiTNT aka Tom Colman PAID
#22 Debbie Whitaker Moretton PAID
#25 Matt Hull PAID

#42 Heather Hart Evers PAID (AquaAloha aka Heather Evers)PAID
#47 Choptop PAID
#60 Dancin' Lizard aka Debbie Eyman-Whitehead PAID
Annette Kerns PAID
Andrew Bornhoeft PAID aka Dru

Bill Beierle PAID
Brenda Ray PAID
Brian Martin PAID
Bullet Roberts PAID
Brigitte Crawford PAID

Daniel Cromm PAID
Cathi Wartelle PAID
Chris Martin PAID
Cecily Dewing PAID
Cole Unger PAID

Denise Marie Hopkins PAID
Duane Orzol PAID
Donovan Goble cancel for this year
Dannelle Ddr Abellera cancel for this year
ebtiki PAID

Erik Danielles cancel for this year
Gabrial Baldwin PAID
Gregory Ramirez PAID
JJMaiTai aka Jeremy and Stephanie PAID
Joanne Kelly PAID

John Kuckowicz PAID
John O'Neill PAID
John Kuckowicz PAID
Karen Stuetz-Garland cancel for this year
Kristin Beierle PAID

Kurt Biddle PAID
Lauren Lundstun PAID
Mike Mac PAID
Mike Mac's sister PAID
Mary Parker PAID

Mahalo Tiki PAID
Melissa Schmitt-Barletta PAID
Moai Mike PAID
Mitch Cichella PAID
Monty PAID (via Debbie Hurley)

mondo-by-the-bay PAID
Miss Monk-ii aka Maggie PAID
Nelson Osorio PAID
Robyn Lednock-Hass PAID by Jason T. Smith gift
Stephen Holt cancel for this year

Savage Tiki Eric PAID
Scott Taylor PAID PU by friend at JB Natalie Cortez or Carol Graven done
slowhandtikiman Rob Wagner PAID to be picked up by Jeremy done
Scott Shapiro ... and friend (2) Paid and Paid
Terry Patton PAID

Tonie Iriarte Jenkins PAID (PU 2016 pineapple mug PAID)
Todd Sieber PAID
Trace Stark PAID
Vance Klinke PAID
Woody Miller PAID

Whylee Raven aka Dr. Tiki Mojo PAID and PAID

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2017-10-24 08:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2017-10-24 14:24 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation