FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The recipe for Trader Sam's Gorilla Grog?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The recipe for Trader Sam's Gorilla Grog?
jj69

Posted: 2017-01-24 8:17 pm   Permalink

I know it's officially a closely guarded secret, but I've seen some discussion of reverse-engineered recipes online. Just wondering what people here consider the recipe that is closest to the original?

Here's the one I'm working with at the moment, which I found somewhere online:

1 oz Passion Fruit juice
1 oz Orange juice (no pulp)
1 oz Guava juice
1 oz Pineapple juice
1 oz Lemon juice
.5 oz. B.G. Reynolds Orgeat
.5 oz. B.G. Reynolds Falernum

I'm told Trader Sam's does use the B.G. Reynolds brand syrups, and I think I have the other ingredients correct. Just not sure about the proportions.

Anyone know more?

[ This Message was edited by: jj69 2017-01-24 20:18 ]

View Profile of jj69 Send a personal message to jj69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-25 01:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-01-24 20:17, jj69 wrote:
I know it's officially a closely guarded secret, but I've seen some discussion of reverse-engineered recipes online. Just wondering what people here consider the recipe that is closest to the original?

Anyone know more?
JJ, I know it needs rum. : ^)
Please post more
Mahalo
Btw, might be a bit too much Lemon juice, Im gonna mess with your recipe-should be fun.

[ This Message was edited by: jj69 2017-01-24 20:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-01-25 01:04 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jj69

Posted: 2017-01-25 5:40 pm   Permalink

> JJ, I know it needs rum. : ^)
> Please post more
> Mahalo
> Btw, might be a bit too much Lemon juice, Im gonna mess with your recipe-should be fun.

I've actually been trying to recreate Sam's "Shrunken Zombie Head" drink. The recipe I have (which I believe is from one of the recipe cards given out at the "Behind the Scenes" events last fall) is as follows:

- 3 oz Gorilla Grog
- .75 oz Bacardi 8 Year rum
- .75 oz Appleton Reserve rum
- .5 oz Gosling 151 rum

The Bacardi 8 Year was technically discontinued late last year, so if you like it, grab it while you still can.

View Profile of jj69 Send a personal message to jj69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jj69

Posted: 2017-01-25 5:43 pm   Permalink

One thing I don't understand (and keep in mind I'm new to Tiki) is that the recipe I posted above makes a drink of just 5 oz! Is that considered a full sized drink? These tiki mugs are big - maybe 16 oz, and I realize there is a LOT of ice in each drink, but how could 5 oz of liquid possibly fill the whole glass? Do the bartenders add extra Grog to complete the drink, or am I missing something?

HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-26 10:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

The Bacardi 8 Year was technically discontinued late last year, so if you like it, grab it while you still can.

Holy crap - I had no idea. Gonna clear out the local tonight, then.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-26 2:08 pm   Permalink

This is the second time I've heard Bacardi 8 being discontinued but haven't seen anything in Google search results. Can anybody confirm?

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jj69

Posted: 2017-01-26 7:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-01-26 14:08, kkocka wrote:
This is the second time I've heard Bacardi 8 being discontinued but haven't seen anything in Google search results. Can anybody confirm?

Perhaps it's regional? I'm in the northeast.

heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-01-26 9:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-01-26 14:08, kkocka wrote:

If it's been discontinued, no one told the Bacardi marketing team. It's still listed on their website, unlike the maligned Bacardi 151. I know that you can't simply rely on a corporate site for completely accurate information, but I haven't seen evidence that Bacardi 8 had been discontinued.

Kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-26 11:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-01-25 17:40, jj69 wrote:
> JJ, I know it needs rum. : ^)
> Please post more
> Mahalo
> Btw, might be a bit too much Lemon juice, Im gonna mess with your recipe-should be fun.

I've actually been trying to recreate Sam's "Shrunken Zombie Head" drink. The recipe I have (which I believe is from one of the recipe cards given out at the "Behind the Scenes" events last fall) is as follows:

Mahalo JJ..

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-02 01:43 am   Permalink

I visited in November and the bartender told me they use B.G. Reynolds syrups.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacksheep uncle

Posted: 2018-01-24 3:37 pm   Permalink

When I came up with that Gorilla Grog recipe I had a hard time with the lemon juice quantity too, I went up and down with it until a Krakatoa tasted about right, 1oz of lemon seemed do the trick for me, but 1/2oz seems to work too.

View Profile of blacksheep uncle Send a personal message to blacksheep uncle  Goto the website of blacksheep uncle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-04 11:00 pm   Permalink

Since the official recipe apparently hasn't been leaked we may never know for sure but here's what I have used in my Krakatoa Punch. Like you JJ, I found it somewhere on line and I'm not sure where
1 oz Passion Fruit juice
1 oz Orange juice
1 oz Guava juice
1 oz Pineapple juice
2 oz Lemon juice
.25 oz. Orgeat
.25 oz. Falernum

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacksheep uncle

Posted: 2018-04-12 3:06 pm   Permalink

I think that was my reverse engineering.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=45752&forum=10

And I think that if you use good, fresh lemon juice 2.oz may be a bit too much, when I was doing the initial work I had crummy dried-up lemons.

(I need to be more active here, been reading for years and years and not contributing...)

View Profile of blacksheep uncle Send a personal message to blacksheep uncle  Goto the website of blacksheep uncle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-13 09:51 am   Permalink

Reminder there's no sign of orgeat in Gorilla Grog - falernum, yes, but no orgeat.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-07 07:36 am   Permalink

Thanks for sharing this! I'll have to gather the juices and give it a shot.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation