FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Events Ľ Ľ California Events Ľ Ľ "Tiki In Orange County" exhibit - Opening reception March 4, 2017
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
"Tiki In Orange County" exhibit - Opening reception March 4, 2017
SpaceAgeCity
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-02-10 8:57 pm   Permalink

I'm "guest curating" an exhibit, "Tiki in Orange County," at the Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections & Archives in the Leatherby Libraries (4th Floor) at Chapman University in Orange. It's open to the public Monday through Friday 10am to 5pm, January 23 - August 25, 2017.

The big opening reception/exhibit will be on March 4th, at 4:30pm. (The Same day as the Tiki Marketplace in Garden Grove.) You're welcome to attend, but please click through and RSVP, so we know how many little paper umbrellas we're gonna need:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1890812404488105/

Otherwise, come by and see the exhibit whenever you can. Since it will be open through August, some of you out-of-towners will hopefully have the chance to see it on your way to or from nearby San Diego.

I've incorporated materials from the South Pacific, from WWII, from the pre-Tiki (think bamboo bar) era, the "golden age" of Tiki, and the Tiki Revival. Along with material from my own collection, the exhibit also includes some wonderful Tiki stuff on loan from Bamboo Ben (and Mrs. Boo), Oceanic Arts, bigbrotiki, dustycajun, Kevin and Jody, Jason Schultz, the American Legacy Museum, the Anaheim Heritage Center, the Orange County Archives, Chapman University, and more.

It's a labor of love. I hope you like it.

Chris

Chris Jepsen
Local Historian

View Profile of SpaceAgeCity Send a personal message to SpaceAgeCity  Goto the website of SpaceAgeCity     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-10 11:14 pm   Permalink

Chris, My wife CeCe and I will be there. Iím too old for Facebook.
David
Btw, Hatch is less then a half hour south, just off the 405. Tiki lite but ono grindz and very tasty tiki drinks

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-02-12 20:20 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-16 05:43 am   Permalink

We'll be fresh of the boat from Kansas City!

Tiki Cat that is......

Hope to see many of you there!

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Tiki No,etc....

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-18 12:28 pm   Permalink

March 4th I am interested .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SpaceAgeCity
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-02-18 1:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-02-18 12:28, 1961surf wrote:
March 4th I am interested .

Swell! Thanks! Please RSVP on the event FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1890812404488105/

View Profile of SpaceAgeCity Send a personal message to SpaceAgeCity  Goto the website of SpaceAgeCity     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
headpaneer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-02-21 09:53 am   Permalink

I donít do the Facebook either. I really enjoyed your presentation in Garden Grove last year and look forward to seeing this exhibit! In addition to myself, Iíll be bringing my two daughters.

View Profile of headpaneer Send a personal message to headpaneer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SpaceAgeCity
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-02-21 11:49 pm   Permalink

That's great! Glad you enjoyed the program in Garden Grove! See you on March 4th!

CJ

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-27 11:14 pm   Permalink

Good luck dis Saturday Chris. Weíre looking forward to seeing you and the exhibit.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-03 6:52 pm   Permalink

See Ya'll tomorrow!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-04 08:49 am   Permalink

Would love to see this but can't get out there. Chris, is there going to be a brochure or booklet about the display that is available?

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-04 10:43 pm   Permalink

My wife and I had a wonderful tiki day. Started off at the Original Tiki MarketPlace at the Elkís. Next we we went to Chapman U. to see and hear Charles (SpaceAgeCity) at the Exhibit . The large room was packed and the line into the exhibit was long. Lotsa tiki peeps there. GoTiki, BigToe, Kinny Ruzic, Sven, DustyCajun, and many others.Scotty (SkooTiki) gave a demo on tiki carving. Food was ono and the wine and Mai Taiís flowed. We finished up with drinks ar Hatch in Tustin. Having trouble loading pix-will try again tomorrow.

Mahalo Chris to you and the great staff at Chapman.

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-03-04 22:46 ]

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-04 10:43 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-03-04 22:43 ]

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-05 5:34 pm   Permalink

Great presentation
great exhibition
and great Aloha there!
Thanks Chapman U and Chris!
will be visiting the exhibit again with sketchbook at the ready!
the room with the Miguel Covarrubias maps took up most of my time there...
and they're on display permanently!

Awesome!
mahalo to all who made this happen
staff and visitors alike!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SpaceAgeCity
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-03-05 8:04 pm   Permalink

You're quite welcome! Thank you ALL so much for attending last night. I saw so many friends and made so many new ones!

To anyone who missed the program/opening, please know that the exhibit will be open Monday through Friday all the way through August 25th.

If anyone thought to take photos, I'd love to see them. Post them here and/or send me some full resoultion stuff at
cjepsen@socal.rr.com. I really wanted to be EVERYWHERE at once last night and say hello to everyone, but I just physically couldn't. (Stupid physics!)

Mahalo!

Chris

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-05 10:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-04 22:43, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:Having trouble loading pix-will try again tomorrow.

Room was filled well before Chris made his appearance at the podium

Chris in action

Long line into the exhibit.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation