FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vics in Emeryville, Emeryville, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Trader Vics in Emeryville, Emeryville, CA (restaurant)
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-18 9:28 pm   Permalink

Name:Trader Vics in Emeryville
Type:restaurant
Street:9 Anchor Drive
City:Emeryville
State:CA
Zip:94608
Phone:(510) 653-3400

Description:
If going to Trader Vic's i would suguest that you make reservations, which unfortunately i didn't make. the front of the reseruant has three tiki's (hawaiian) in an island in front of the building. there is also a Marquesan tiki that is turned the wrong way in the bushes to the right of the door. the entry has carved doors. in the entry there are tiki poles carved, which are also all over the reseruant. the wait isn't bad as you can spend time in the bar and watch the sun set over the little harbor. the bar is a little bright and not as tiki as i would like. the walls are white and there are a few tikis (including a large marquesan and a Hawaiian pole) , a couple wallrus skulls, and some weapons. the drinks are good, and are around 8-10 dollars for single drinks to up to $20.00 four a four person drink. i had a "San Fransico" Mai Tai, and a Signapore sling or Trader Vic's Sling as they call it.

Once you get shown into the dining room the mood changes. the dining rooms are darker and they have three or four more of the big Marquesan poles that were in the Bar. there are some fake Palm trees in there as well. the tiki's in the whole building are nice but repetive as all the tiki's are almost the exact same. the food is very good, i had the Hawaiian Mahi Mahi and my family had the chinese smoked Pork Chops that were excellent.

Over all there were alot of tiki's (that i will show in my pictures) and other artifcats. the food was great, no maybe excellent. the drinks were good, though i was with my familay and i didn't get to have too many, only two. it is a great place for dinner and has some good carvings, pictures and artifacts. i hope to go back.

the three tiki's in the island

the door

some pole in the entries and around the place

there are more but mostly just of the same tikis i showed.

[ This Message was edited by: Octane on 2003-08-18 21:49 ]

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 09:37 am   Permalink

I finally made it to Trader Vics in Emeryville (Early June 2008). The food? Fantastic! The Mai Tais? Excellent, of course! Here's some pictures:

Fabulous Rum collection:

Of course, a picture of their Mai Tai:

a poorly-stitched-together panorama of the Yacht Club at TV's:

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2008-07-10 09:38 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-13 11:30 am   Permalink

Mahalo for all the nice pics!

Much appreciated!

Looks inviting!

Cheers!

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-10 8:30 pm   Permalink

And they are having a nice deal on tuesday! Woo-hoo!

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroTiki 2009-03-11 19:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroTiki 2009-09-19 09:59 ]

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-27 1:47 pm   Permalink

I've been enjoying Trader Vic's Emeryville location for some time now, both before and after their 2010 remodel. I'm really glad the remodel didn't change the character of the place. Pure vintage Trader Vic. It's like traveling back in time to 1971 to visit the brand new Emeryville location when it took over the mantle of the original Trader Vic's on 6500 San Pedro Ave. It successfully walks the line of retaining the traditional classy atmosphere that Trader Vic's has been known for with the Tiki's and other Exotica elements. I hear some of the new Tiki's were adopted from the Dallas location. Being situated on the bay at the marina adds beauty and an air of authenticity to the Polynesian experience.

This weekend my wife and I attended one of their occasional Luaus and had a great time. There was live Polynesian entertainment and dinner served "family style".

Since the 2010 remodel the drink prices have gone down to where I consider them inexpensive compared to other Trader Vic's locations. On the down side they removed a number of the classic cocktails from the menu. I'm encouraging them to bring them back but in the mean time I can always visit the Palo Alto Trader Vic's to get some of my old favorites. So lucky to have two Trader Vic's within 35 minutes of home!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-09 11:34 pm   Permalink

I found this cool artist's rendering from a newspaper ad:

- Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 10:36 am   Permalink

Here's a nice article on Claudette Lum, TV Emeryville's current maitre d, and longest employee Trader Vic's ever had. She was originally hired by the Trader himself, for the Cosmo Place location:

"I hadn't ever heard of Trader Vic's and was very nervous," she said. "I wore a Chinese dress. Trader told me to take my coat off and walk from here to there. After I did, he interviewed me a little more. He called everybody 'kid.' And he said, 'Kid, you can start working here.' "

Claudette is a very nice lady who still works on Fridays and Saturdays - bravo to her for her 51 years at Vic's!

Here's the fixed link DC

-Trad'r Bill

[ This Message was edited by: trad'r bill 2011-07-16 09:37 ]

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-16 07:35 am   Permalink

Trad'r Bill,

That link didn't work for me?

Here is an old postcard from the Trader Vic's in Emeryville.

The walls look bare compared to today's view.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-16 09:42 am   Permalink

Cool PC DC - I agree, the place looks much different nowadays. ...I fixed the link above (hopefully)

Tiare
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-04 11:48 am   Permalink

I was looking at the menu online for TV Emeryville and saw they are serving Senor Pico items. It also says Senor Picos is opening in the fall.

Anyone have any news?

http://tradervics.com/locations/6.12.12%20pico.pdf

http://tradervicsemeryville.com/

Looks like they are going classier with their new branding. Guess that the little guy with the sombrero will not be part of the "new" Senor Pico.

http://www.tradervics.com/senorpico/senorpico.html

http://alohatiki.blogspot.com
A sporadically updated blog about tiki, food and stuff.

View Profile of Tiare Send a personal message to Tiare  Goto the website of Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-05 12:00 pm   Permalink

I missed DC's postcard post here. It's noteworthy that they covered up the Tikis' "members" with Tapa cloth - wonder if it was done for the postcard only, or if they were skirted all the time:

(Example of free Marquesan manhoods at Munich Trader Vic's)

This modesty was not necessarily missionary Puritanism, but part of Polynesian tradition:

(photographed in Kona yesterday)

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-08-06 01:27 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-09-15 12:19 pm   Permalink

I nudged my dad to rummage through his matchbook collection for any PolyPop artifacts. He came up mostly empty, save a number of Trader Vic's matchbooks from the lengthy era when the Cosmo San Francisco location was open at the same time as the Emeryville location. If I had to guess, this would probably be from between the late 60s and mid 70s.

kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-10-19 11:57 am   Permalink

From the Emeryville, CA restaurant, printed by Mike Roberts Color Productions in Oakland (circa unknown).

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 9:53 pm   Permalink

Here are some professional photos of Trader Vic's Emeryville that I downloaded from their web site. They were taken after the 2010 remodel and capture the beauty and the majesty of the Emeryville location. As you can see the location is spectacular, with the restaurant and lounge being situated right on the bay. Dining there in the evening as the sun is setting with that special someone is very romantic. As you linger into the night, with the assistance of two or three drinks, the tiki atmosphere envelops you as you begin to appreciate the history and heart of this very special place.

The Ovens:

The Outrigger Room:

Back view of the bar:

Front view of the bar/lounge. Notice the authentic Leeteg black velvet paintings:

The Captain Cook Room:

The main dining room (or the Tiki Temple as I like to call it):

Another view of the lounge:

Another view of the main dining room:

The Captain's Cabin:

A booth in the main dining room:

Back lit masks:

The Trader's Office (where you will find precious memorabilia from the Trader's career such as letters of thanks from a Saudi prince and accolades from Disney animators):

If you're ever in the bay area be sure to treat yourself to the full Trader Vic experience, drinks and cuisine. By the way, these twelve photos make a great calendar!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-15 06:10 am   Permalink

Nice eye candy! Thank You...I never get up there anymore, I really should.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation