FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Lagoon of Mystery
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Lagoon of Mystery
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-14 08:11 am   Permalink

I've been a member here for several months now, and while I don't have anything to share that comes close to the magnificent spaces I've seen, I figure it's time to take the plunge. Until maybe six months ago, I had no idea tiki culture existed outside of the '50s and '60s. We moved into a new home a little more than two years ago, and it came with a pool surrounded by palm trees. This past summer my Wahini came home with some kitschy tikis from the local big box stores, at which point I realized I needed a tiki bar for the pool. Not knowing Tiki Central existed, I poked around the interwebz looking for home bar plans, and eventually settled on this 6-foot bar plan as my template. Obviously, I modified it significantly for my build. The bar top and drawer fronts are laminate flooring from my office, which I'm remodelling, and I'll probably use some more for backing on the inside of the bar once I pull more up. The moso bamboo around the bar top came from Bamboo Branch in Austin. The wood's all coated with semi-transparent UV/water protective stain, followed by several coats of polyurethane topped with several more coats of spar urethane. We've got so many palm trees around the house that the bar thatching can be completely replaced at any time. I also built the bar on casters so it can be moved easily.

My tiki mug collection and rum stocks are paltry compared to what I see here, but I'm working on rectifying that situation as fast as my bank account can sustain.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-03-14 08:26 am   Permalink

Off to a good start. Looking forward to seeing the progress and the rum collection growing.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-14 08:28 am   Permalink

So, the name "Lagoon of Mystery" seems apt, considering the view from the bar, below. I'm a big science fiction fan, and always got a kick out of Carrie Fisher's sense of humor. We have lots of plans to bring the vision forth, finding lots of inspiration on this site. Consider these the "before" shots, the blank foundation upon which we'll more fully build my tiki paradise.

The synthetic umbrella isn't permanent. Like everyone else here, we're doing this on a budget and progress will come in fits and starts. Eventually we'll replace it with authentic thatch.

Already Tiki Central has placed Ideas in my head. I'm happy with my tiki bar, but browsing here I've realized it's merely a dry bar. To enjoy the full tiki experience, I need a wet bar. So I plan on relocating the bar to where the dark wicker furniture currently is. Behind that solid door to the garage is a utility sink. It will be fairly straightforward to extend the water and drainage through the wall to have a working sink on the patio. Of course, I'll have to build a back bar for the sink, along with shelving for mugs and liquors. There are electric outlets in the area as well, so I wouldn't have to run extension cords for the bar fridge.

I'm currently putting up a garden shed in another part of the yard, so the lawn mower and wood chipper at the far end of the covered patio will have a new home in the next week or so. The total covered patio area I have to work with is 64' long by 10' wide. That's not an insignificant amount of space, and we had other plans for the space around and beyond the palm trees that are being tweaked to conform to the tiki aesthetic. It will be years before the vision is realized, but then again, tiki bars are never really finished, are they?

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-14 08:40 am   Permalink

Speaking of budgets, the sconce lights on the wall were the first challenge I tackled when we decided to go full tiki. It's design is a western star motif. Pretty much every light fixture in the house follows this design aesthetic, which is all fine and dandy, but it's just not us. And the house isn't really rustic enough to carry it, you know? Since we moved in we've talked about changing them out, and on the back patio they really clashed with the tiki vibe. Looking online, however, I quickly learned there was not much commercially available that could pass as tikiesque, and what little there was cost way beyond what I was willing to spend.

To make matters worse, the previous owners had an unhealthy obsession with Tanglefoot. If you're unfamiliar with it, this is a very, very sticky substance used to ring the trunks of trees to keep leafcutter ants from climbing the trunk, things like that. For some reason, they seemed to think the stickiness acted as a [ital]repellent[/ital], that if they slathered the stuff on things they didn't want insects, reptiles, spiders, etc. on, it would keep them away. They slathered that stuff on all the outdoor speakers, the patio columns and worst of all, the tops of the wall sconces. Until I took a closer look, I'd assumed the tops were opaque. Not even close. So many dead bugs, spiders, geckos, dust, dirt, twigs and unidentifiable gunk had built up over the past decade that it completely blocked out the light from the bulb below. I can assure you, it's nasty. And every light had this mess slathered over the top of it. You should see the outside speakers.

Fortunately, Tanglefoot cleans up with mineral spirits. That's not to say it cleans up easily. It doesn't. But after far too much time and effort, this is the result. Quite dramatic, no?

Now the sconces were clean, but not any more tiki than before. What to do? For that, I turned to the tikiphile's do-everything solution--reed fencing. The sconces were roughly 10" high, so I cut sections of the reed fencing 12" wide and long enough to wrap around three sides of the sconce, twice. Turns out the fencing isn't terribly tight, so the western star was painfully obvious through a single layer. Two layers, though, that worked nicely. The wire ties were loose, though, so the reeds slipped out easily. Too keep it held together, I applied a flexible glue to the wire ties. Also, I slathered the reeds in spar urethane to protect them from UV and moisture. They'll be protected from the elements under the patio overhang, but reed's not the most durable substance on Earth. I figure a little insurance wouldn't hurt.

The sconces had a perforated hole pattern above and below the star. This turned out to be perfectly situated to thread a thin, black craft wire through to anchor the reed. Once I got both ends of the wire through the holes (which sounds simple enough, but in practice was maddening) I simply tied them off.

Voila! Instant tiki wall sconce. Most of these are on a dimmer switch, which makes it all the better--I can turn them down when necessary to get that coveted, dimly-lit tiki atmosphere.

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-14 08:41 am   Permalink

Thanks, Mike! I'm looking forward to that as well!

pwest71
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-03-14 11:05 am   Permalink

Loving the start, as far as replacing those sconces check out leimanu.com. Leilehua is a member here and makes beautiful lights in Hilo, Hawai'i.

Aloha

Paul

View Profile of pwest71 Send a personal message to pwest71      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HaleTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-03-15 1:53 pm   Permalink

That's some great work and tiki imagination on the wall sconces there. I cannot wait to see this thing develop. You've got a lot of untapped potential.

View Profile of HaleTiki Send a personal message to HaleTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-15 2:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-15 13:53, HaleTiki wrote:
You've got a lot of untapped potential.

Thanks! I shudder at the thought of how much lauhala matting I'm going to need before this is even sorta done. The siding wall, ceiling and columns are all begging for attention, because they all scream "Not tiki!" It's almost overwhelming. Almost.

MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-15 6:10 pm   Permalink

Have you considered using bamboo board instead of lauhala matting? I think it's more durable and easier to work with.

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-16 7:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-15 18:10, MaukaHale wrote:
Have you considered using bamboo board instead of lauhala matting? I think it's more durable and easier to work with.

Bamboo board? Interesting. Do you mean this?
http://www.safarithatch.com/double-sided-bamboo-board/ Or this? http://www.amazuluinc.com/products/wide-weave-bamboo-board/ Or something else entirely?

I have not given it that much thought, to be honest. I know I'm inclined to go half-and-half on the wall, a vertical bamboo wainscotting-type look with matting above. That's a pretty common look from what I've seen and I think would present well in this space. Since it is an exterior space, albeit protected, durability and cleanability are going to factor heavily into the decision-making process. Obviously, I don't want to have to replace lauhala or bacbac matting on a regular basis. Fortunately, I don't have to make a decision on that soon, so I can keep researching and getting advice from those who've done this before.

Before I tackle that looooong wall, I plan to do the ceiling (which will be a departure from traditional tiki, but I think will be pretty cool). The patio surface is part rough concrete and part pebble texture, and the rough concrete is in desperate need of resurfacing, so that's next. And all of those white stucco columns are due to be clad in routered red cedar. I'm going to weatherproof everything to increase its lifespan, but fortunately I don't have to worry about harsh winters here. Heat, humidity and lots of UV are the primary concerns.

MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-16 8:06 pm   Permalink

#847 on this page.

http://www.oceanicarts.net/oa_cat-tropical-matting.htm

You can see how it looks on one of my walls:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=42941&forum=20&start=120

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2017-03-16 20:09 ]

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-16 8:34 pm   Permalink

Hey, that looks nice! Your neou palm panels are pretty spiffy as well! Woven bamboo boards may well work better for me given the conditions of the patio. How was the price in comparison to lauhala?

MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-17 10:55 am   Permalink

I can't remember the price but if you call Oceanic Arts they can tell you the price. I think it was a little bit more. If you are going to use this material outside I really think the bamboo would survive the elements better than lauhala. When lauhala dries out it becomes very brittle.

finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-17 9:44 pm   Permalink

Looks like you're off to a good start, Bruddah Pear! Nice job cleaning up and "converting" those sconces.
I couldn't help but notice those Drafthouse Gremlin mugs behind the bar, too! Very nice

Keep the updates coming as you make progress. I wish I had that kind of outdoor area at my house to tikify!

Cheers!

Finky

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-20 07:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-17 21:44, finky099 wrote:
I couldn't help but notice those Drafthouse Gremlin mugs behind the bar, too! Very nice

Man, it was an ORDEAL to get those. The Wahini surprised me with tickets to a screening of Gremlins (love that movie and its sequel) at the Drafthouse, where the mugs were promoted as an exclusive to that screening. Well, when we got there, we were told they'd sold out weeks ago. Turns out that was the original plan, but there were complications, so they scrapped the promotion and just sold them out of the box office without telling anyone (there were others at our screening looking for mugs as well). I ended up braving Austin traffic the next week to get a pair at the Lamar Drafthouse, which had dozens still, and bitched about the whole SNAFU online. Well, Tim League heard about it, sent me an apology and then sent another pair to make up for the hassle. Pretty cool.

I'm hoping I can get those new Alien Xenomorph tiki mugs without quite so much hassle this time around.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation