FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Lagoon of Mystery
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Lagoon of Mystery
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-30 10:22 pm   Permalink

The previous owners of our house had done two things in the garage that made the sink a straightforward addition. First, they'd installed a work sink in the garage on the opposite side of the patio wall. Secondly, they'd had a refrigerator in there with a copper ice maker line that tied into the sink's cold water valve. I drilled through the fibercement siding and ran the copper tubing through.

I added a pressure coupling to connect the back bar faucet's water line.

As a teenager, I worked summers installing underground sprinkler systems. I grew to appreciate pipe join compound's ability to seal threaded joints and prevent leaks. I used a good amount on this project.

I cut out a contour template of the underside of the shell using scrap cardboard. This was imperfect at best, but I couldn't figure out a better way to do this. I laid the template on the bar top, making sure to allow for the shell overhand, then used a Sharpie to trace the pattern onto the bar top.

I used a drill to make pilot holes, then a jig saw to cut out the pattern. The jig saw was imprecise, in part because I'd forgotten how damn thick I'd made the bar top. I also drilled out a hole for the faucet as well.

I spliced in a T joint into the garage sink's drain. Again, this made things much simpler than having to run a whole new drain line.

For some reason, all the plumbing pipes, etc. at Lowe's and Home Depot were a very thin, specialized PVC, as opposed to standard PVC. I'm not sure what was up with that, but the two didn't seem compatible. Which was frustrating, because I needed to run about 4 feet of drain line from the shell sink to the garage drain line. One piece of standard PVC could be cut to the perfect length. As it was, they only sold 12" extension pieces. I had to buy four and cut to fit, which was more costly and looks completely crappy. It gets the job done, but man, it's just ugly as sin.

This is how everything ties in together behind the sink--the drain line and the copper ice maker line repurposeed to supply water to the back bar.

When I connected the cold water to the faucet, water flowed perfectly. Unfortunately, because of the faucet design, water also spewed out the hot water inlet. I'd decided to not connect the hot water for a number of reasons, but now I had to cap the hot water inlet to stop that backflow leak. I used a brass coupling, brass cap and significant amounts of pipe join compound. Leak stopped.

Even with my grinding work, I couldn't get a flush seal with the drain insert. Water leaked through. So I resorted to silicone sealant. I pumped enough in to completely fill the drain cavity. I tightened the drain insert into place, then smoothed flush all the silicone extruded to make a watertight seal.

The underside of the drain. I didn't bother smoothing down the silicone on this side. Once it cured, I had no more problems with leaks of any sort.

The operational sink. The faucet is an antique brass finish, styled to look like bamboo. I found it online, and it fits the aesthetic nicely. Having enjoyed a working wet bar for several weeks now, I really have to recommend it if you can swing it for your personal home bar. The convenience of simply being able to rinse out glasses and barware on the spot is very nice. Sure, the kitchen isn't that far away, but on the whole, it's surprising how much I like not having to run to the kitchen for such mundane tasks. Heck, I rinse out jiggers not because I need to, but because I can!

As always, there are more images and more detailed writeup
available on my blog for those of you who are gluttons for punishment.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-31 06:40 am   Permalink

Oh that is just the coolest, and the fact that it's custom built makes it even better.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-05-31 10:27 am   Permalink

Looks great, and very professional as always, Jayme! Shame that the PVC was weird and you had to piece it together like that. But that shell is amazing as a sink!

Not to rain on your parade, but keep a close eye on that faucet. We installed one just like it a few years ago, and it developed an internal leak after only three months that was not repairable. The company that made it was based in China, with no support, and the seller was no longer valid on eBay when I discovered the leak.

Hopefully yours will not give you any trouble, but I figured I'd mention it just in case, since it's the exact same design. I love the look of it.

Jeff

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-31 10:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-05-31 10:27, tikitube wrote:
Not to rain on your parade, but keep a close eye on that faucet. We installed one just like it a few years ago, and it developed an internal leak after only three months that was not repairable. The company that made it was based in China, with no support, and the seller was no longer valid on eBay when I discovered the leak.

Does not surprise me, Jeff. This one was from China as well, a no-name seller. The price was cheap enough to be worth the risk. Not so cheap as to make them disposable, but hey, it's not like there's a huge selection of bamboo-style faucets out there.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-31 10:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-05-31 06:40, Bam Bam wrote:
Oh that is just the coolest, and the fact that it's custom built makes it even better.

Thanks for the kind words, Bam Bam. To be honest, I'd like to take off-the-shelf simplicity over custom-built specialness on occasion, but the universe does not seem to share those sentiments. Watch Walmart start carrying a line of custom-styled shell sinks next month!
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

tikitube

Posted: 2018-05-31 11:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-05-31 10:46, Prikli Pear wrote:
Quote:

On 2018-05-31 10:27, tikitube wrote:

Does not surprise me, Jeff. This one was from China as well, a no-name seller. The price was cheap enough to be worth the risk. Not so cheap as to make them disposable, but hey, it's not like there's a huge selection of bamboo-style faucets out there.

Yep, I caught it soon enough that it didn't cause too much damage. Figured I'd give you a heads up. Water damage sucks!

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-31 11:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-05-31 11:36, tikitube wrote:
Yep, I caught it soon enough that it didn't cause too much damage. Figured I'd give you a heads up. Water damage sucks!

I have the advantage of being outdoors. The floor is concrete, the bar wood is weather-treated and the backing wall is exterior fiber cement planking. A leak would be annoying, but fortunately it would not likely be anything more than that. I'll keep an eye on it, though--being somewhat exposed to the elements could cause it to deteriorate more quickly. If so, I'll know better for round two.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-25 11:26 am   Permalink

We had one of our Dive-In movies over the weekend. We showed Elvis' Blue Hawaii with the Blue Hawaii as the featured cocktail. A fun time was had by all. Highly recommended.

Also, the previous week, our friend Taylor came over to do an underwater mermaid photo shoot with The Wife. I took this image of them toward the end of the session:

They also did some shots out of the water. I think this one turned out quite nice.

www.JaymeBlaschke.com

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-26 07:34 am   Permalink

Great! Love the Dive-In movie and the pics.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-29 06:47 am   Permalink

That clam shell sink is over the top

Love the drive in

Cheers

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-03 08:43 am   Permalink

Work on the Lagoon of Mystery continues, but it's not terribly high-profile. These are projects that need to be done to enhance the experience. Like everything, they're all time-consuming projects, some moreso than others. I'm going to start with one that, surprisingly, wasn't a convoluted mess. As I posted above, we throw a series of Dive-In movies every summer. Trouble is, the projector is set up near the pool. All the electrical is safely out of the way so that stuff falling into the water isn't a concern, but the projector is within the splash zone. Sometimes our kids can get a bit rowdy even with warnings, and a blast of water woudn't be good for the projector. So I did what I intended to do last summer: Build a projector box/table to protect it from random splashes. I put it together in just a couple of hours, and scrap makes up 90 percent of the build. Once I put on the bamboo tambour paneling on the side, it took on a MCM vibe and blends in nicely with the bar. It's got plenty of airflow and works well. When not in use for movies, it makes a passable side table.

During the occasional shindigs we host, The Wife noticed guests will stand around, locked in deep discussion, but have no place to set their drinks whilst doing so. She's a professional photographer, and does a lot of weddings. "We need some upright cocktail tables," she said, noting that these are common at wedding venues and get a lot of use during the social hour. A quick search online revealed 1) that none of the commercially-available tables of this nature (which don't seem to have a uniform name--cocktail table is more likely to turn up old Ms. Pac-Man games than anything else) are tiki appropriate, and 2) are affordable. So I decided to make my own. How hard could it be? Not terribly hard, but very time consuming. I picked up a 4x4 post and cut it into two 38" lengths, with a 20" length left over. I stenciled that alternating triangle pattern on them, partly because that will link them aesthetically with the rest of the bar, and partly because I already had the stencil available.

I routered the pattern out on the post/pedestal. Then I cut four triangular buttresses from a 1x6 board. I'll use these (plus pocket holes-with-screws) to attach the table top. Then I flame-treated everything. I normally hit it with a wire brush afterward, but this time I chose to leave the scorched wood untouched. Let's see how that turns out.

The table top is a 24" circular pine piece from Lowe's. I took the grinder to it to distress the wood. Then I lightly flamed and applied the wire brush to create the illusion of age. All the wood them got a coat of Minwax Special Walnut, and the distressed table top got a second coat of Minwax Dark Walnut for added contrast and deeper color in the gouges and grooves.

The base is pretty solid. It's made from two layers of 2x4, cut to fit crosswise. Each main cross piece is glued and screwed to the pedestal, then smaller pieces are cut, glued and screwed to the cross pieces to even everything out. It's a little clunky, but super-solid. These being outside most of the time, I thought that an effective approach.

I attached the table top to the pedestal with glue and screws through pocket holes in the pillar. Then I reinforced that with the buttresses I'd cut earlier, attaching those with glue and screws. The buttresses cover up the pocket holes in the pedestal.

And the final product. I was quite surprised with how well it turned out. Even The Wife allowed that it was far nicer than she'd envisioned. I'm currently finishing up two more with the other wood pieces cut from the original 4x4 post. One will be identical to this, and the other, from the 20" piece, will be a short table for our rattan peacock chairs.

I didn't realize it until after I took the previous photo, but I forgot to apply the final piece of trim--Manila rope wrapped around the base. I think it's a nice accent.

One more project before I let you go. It's an overlooked fact that my bar had no barstools. That's not been a huge issue, but still. Most barstools I've seen are either too expensive, not tiki enough, or I just didn't like. A couple of months ago, two vintage Russell Woodard spun fiberglass barstools showed up on Facebook Marketplace for cheap. Real cheap. And they were in the town I live. I saw them, but was unfamiliar with Woodard pieces at the time. They were listed as wicker barstools. I took one look at them and dismissed them as being fragile and on their last legs. It was Mike Hooker who messaged me and suggested I take a closer look, that he suspected they weren't wicker, but rather fiberglass. That changed the calculus considerably. Turns out they were indeed spun fiberglass, and a tenth the price these usually go for. I snatched them up. They were filthy, though. Not sure what they were used for, or where they were stored. It took me quite a bit of effort to remove all the caked-on gum, paint and glue globs. They were so grimy even power-washing struggled to remove some of the crap.

Eventually, I got them clean. The dull gray paint was super-ugly, and not tiki approved. This was a job for amber shellac!

Amber shellac's not the easiest thing to work with, especially when it's super-hot out and the stuff dries on the brush as fast as you can apply it. But for giving something a tikified bamboo/rattan appearance, there's nothing better. The Wife sewed the cool tropical cushion with some outdoor fabric I picked up, and voila! we have a pair of MCM tiki barstools!

A more detailed writeup may be found
on my blog.

www.JaymeBlaschke.com

[ This Message was edited by: Prikli Pear 2018-07-03 08:46 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-03 7:45 pm   Permalink

You've got some good stuff going on here Jayme, I need to spend some time reading in here.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-03 9:28 pm   Permalink

Yes, great stuff. One suggestion to do rear projection and your projector is safely inside.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2018-07-04 10:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-07-03 19:45, MadDogMike wrote:
You've got some good stuff going on here Jayme, I need to spend some time reading in here.

Having read Jayme's comment on your page Mike, this made me LOL. Good one.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-04 8:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-07-03 19:45, MadDogMike wrote:

I accept deliveries on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays!
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation