FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Lagoon of Mystery
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Lagoon of Mystery
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-04 8:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-07-03 21:28, creativenative wrote:
Yes, great stuff. One suggestion to do rear projection and your projector is safely inside.

Interesting idea! I confess I had not even considered rear projection. The downside is that I'd have to get an actual screen--right now I'm just using a cheap canvas dropcloth! First class all the way!
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo stu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-08-24 7:49 pm   Permalink

I can't think of anything better than watching a campy old movie with friends while floating in a pool drinking a mai-tai.

View Profile of bamboo stu Send a personal message to bamboo stu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-08-27 9:24 pm   Permalink

Indeed, Stu! It's great fun. We had our last showing of the summer two weeks back--Gidget was on tap. Boy, that Moondoggie sure is a scamp!
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-10-03 9:07 pm   Permalink

Who's ready for an update? I am! The Wife gifted me with this beauty for my birthday, which spurred me into completing the next section of the Lagoon:

I wanted to have a bursting-through-the-wall effect, so after putting up the bamboo weave panel, I cut some leftover scrap to suit. I painted the center black and stapled to the furring strip beneath the panel. I then drilled in two hooks to anchor the Gill-Man to the wall.

The Gill-Man is molded polystyrene. It's pretty dense, but there's no natural way to mount it hanging. I set two eye screws into the hollow back side, securing them with epoxy. Then I ran galvanized wire between the two screws.

Because the Lagoon of Mystery is an outdoor bar, even though it's sheltered, I've learned from experience reflected UV is still a concern, and it would chew up the polystyrene. Also, I wasn't sure what the wild humidity swings would do to the Gill-Man, so I applied several coats of water-based spar urethane. Why water? 1) because it is thinner and easier to apply to the detailed surface (seriously, look at that detail!) and 2) it dries clear, whereas oil-based urethane has an ambering effect. So now he's protected from the elements as best I can manage.

Unfortunately, he came with a section of paint peeling away from the crown of his head. Rather than send him back and eat the shipping cost, I thought I could repair it on my own.

I cut away the damaged paint with a razor, then epoxied a fish hook over the vacant space. Using several different shades of acrylic paint, I replicated as best I could the mottled skin texture. It's not a perfect job, but the colors blend better than they appear in this photo. When he's mounted on the wall with mixed lighting, the repair is nigh invisible.

Mounting the Gill-Man spurred me to complete this section of the wall. I'd started on this trim piece last year, but set it aside for other projects. A section needed a cut-out to fit around the built-in stereo cabinet. The jig saw cut I made wasn't perfect, so I smoothed it out with a belt sander.

Then I torched, wire brushed, stained and sealed the trim with spar urethane--the oil based type this time.

After mounting the vertical tambour panel, I used a Dremel cutting disc to open up a space for the light switches in the wall.

And this is how it looks with everything in place. I've since replaced the white switch plates with dark brown ones.

www.JaymeBlaschke.com

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-10-03 9:20 pm   Permalink

The Lagoon of Mystery is primarily occupying a 65' covered patio. Thus far, we've tikified about half of that covered space. The farthest end, below, remains mostly untouched. I use it for my work area and it's normally somewhat cluttered. When we have gatherings, nobody goes there, because there's no reason to. My grand vision, however, was to have this as the "cool spot" to hang out. I call it "Mermaid Cove" because of the silhouette painted on the ceiling. I wanted to install a circular restaurant booth here as a sort of physical statement "This is the end of the tiki bar." The only trouble was that new booths are crazy expensive. I'd resigned myself to build one, but I couldn't find any plans online that matched what I envisioned. Even with plans, the build would tax my modest carpentry and upholstery skills.

By sheer, dumb luck, I discovered a recently-closed Fuddrucker's in Houston (I love their burgers, so a location closing is kind of bittersweet) was selling off their restaurant booths. What's more, their asking price was less than the cost of lumber to build my own. Wow. So last Saturday I drove shuttle run, borrowing my brother's trailer and heading to Houston and back, having logged approximately 500 miles. I ached. But I had my booth. Totally worth it!

This is how it looks in situ. I am currently building a table in the style of my previous cocktail tables for the booth, which will look spectacular once in place. I've decided to build a (modestly) raised deck for the booth to rest on to enhance the sense that Mermaid Cove is a distinct location unto itself. What to do with the opening to the yard beyond is starting to come together in my mind, involving a combination of bamboo poles, thatch and Chinese jade breezeway tiles. All of that lies in the future, however. Currently I am weatherproofing all the wood surfaces with my go-to sealant, Flood CWF-UV (natural clear). Those open areas around the back of the booth? I plan to close those in and turn into storage cabinets through the strategic use of hinges and magnet locks. I've done some measurements and sketches, and am convinced I can thoroughly tikify this booth before I even think of replacing the vinyl with tapa pattern (which, initially, I thought I would have to do first thing).

The downside is that this was a restaurant booth. There was all sorts of foodstuffs, grease and grime embedded in every nook and cranny. I will spare you the photos of that. A pressure washer and several hours of scrubbing with 409 removed the vast majority of gunk, and the booth is now cleaner than it has been for 20 years. As always, more photos and a detailed, step-by-step writeup
may be found on my blog.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-10-03 10:29 pm   Permalink

I love the Creature! That's a great piece!

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-10-04 11:25 am   Permalink

Thanks, EnchantedTikiGoth! As a kid who grew up with crappy, cheap Halloween decorations in the 70s and 80s, I'm just blown away by how well done this sculpt is. The details is simply amazing. My only complaint is that the arms and shoulder sockets simply don't match up very well. I had to glue them in place lest they fall out. Other than that, this is a bust to rival the original costume in realism.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

uk_chris123
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-10-06 01:55 am   Permalink

Hi, I don't usually respond to postings although I do read every day after my morning walk with a cup of coffee. I just had to say that I love your bar area and what you are doing to it. The booth seat is also outstanding. If only I had the space. My modest bar and the lack of 'Tiki' in the UK makes it just a dream. Keep showing your pics, they are appreciated even if not replied to all the time. Chris

View Profile of uk_chris123 Send a personal message to uk_chris123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-10-07 9:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the comments, Chris! I can sympathize with lack of space--although I hadn't discovered tiki yet, our previous house was too small for me to do many projects I'd hoped to. Making the most of what we have available, within the existing constraints, is the best anyone can do. I know I'm very fortunate to have lucked into this house with its outdoor space custom-made for entertaining. We were literally two weeks away from being homeless when it fell into our lap (had to walk away from a house we had under contract because of serious problems discovered during inspection--and our old home had already sold!).

The Wife and I were discussing just this last month, how this house directly led us to tiki. Had the previous house under contract not proven to be a disaster in the making, or we ended up in one of the many other places we considered, it's doubtful we would've discovered tiki. Which would be a shame, since we enjoy it, and the people we've met through it, so much. Life is strange sometime!
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-11-13 12:28 pm   Permalink

The first real cold front of the season blew through last night, so I set about protecting the tropical landscaping that is so much a part of the Lagoon. Mostly, I try to plant hardy tropicals or their temperate relatives (I'm looking at you, hibiscus and passiflora!) but the in-ground Bird of Paradise and my bananas got covered with frost cloth. I've learned from experience that fruit is much less durable than the banana plants themselves, so I harvested a mostly-mature bunch from my dwarf Orinoco:

Dwarf Orinoco is a plantain hybrid. It can be cooked as any other plantain, but if allowed to get fully ripe--we're talking black peel that looks almost rotten--then the fruit inside softens and gets very sweet. It makes a flavorful dessert banana. Here's the bunch with a store-bought Cavendish type for comparison.

And then my potted citrus and frost-tender tropicals all migrated to the garage. Our freezing spells don't normally last longer than a few days here. Friday I'll move them back out onto the south-facing lanai where they'll soak up the sun for the next few weeks. Long-range forecast doesn't hold anything lower than the mid-40s through the end of November. It's not as much moving as it looks, but as an incentive, I found a few limes I'd missed when I picked them a few weeks ago. Score!

www.JaymeBlaschke.com

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-11-13 12:57 pm   Permalink

Looking good.

I would wrap that booth in plastic and throw a bug bomb or two in there and let it sit for a long time.

Then I would wait a good month or two and do it again to kill any eggs that may hatch in the mean time.

Only then would I take it inside, or outside for that matter.

They also make roach baits that will work some too.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-11-13 4:42 pm   Permalink

The fish hook fix is hilarious. Great job.

Awesome booth, too! I once picked up 20 working par fixtures from a shuttered Fuddruckers for like $25 on eBay. The seller was apparently upset that they sold for so little, so he just rammed them into a water heater box sans any padding and with very minimal packing tape. By the time they arrived, there were wires falling out the bottom of the box and you could hear everything just rattling around. The UPS guy looked worried, but I just had to laugh.

You're right, though...they always had good burgers. Can't wait to watch the rest of your tiki space expansion.

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-11-15 08:26 am   Permalink

Skip, good advice! But it's not going inside. The Lagoon is strictly an outdoor operation, and that's where this booth stays. I've taken it apart to weatherize it and done some rebuilding. Most hitchhiking critters have fled to the surrounding vegetation. Those that haven't will make a nice snack for the scads of geckos and anoles we have living here. There were a bunch of geckos living here when we moved in, but my tiki build efforts have given them a lot more sheltering options. I their numbers have exploded so much that I jokingly refer to one original cocktail recipe I'm tinkering with as "Mind the Gecko."

Tikitube, yikes! Amazing those lights weren't smashed beyond all use! I wish there were a Fuddrucker's closer to me. Have to drive 45 minutes into San Antonio for the nearest one. I love their elk or bison burgers, but not all locations offer those exotic meats. Some used to offer ostrich, but that was a legacy of the short-lived ratite craze that swept Texas a couple decades ago. Talk about a bubble economy!

www.JaymeBlaschke.com

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-11-15 3:47 pm   Permalink

Having a restaurant in the past it's the first thing I think of.

Have been to parties that I did not want to sit anywhere as I might take something home with me.

One line lady at OSU said she found a bunk bed at the curb and took it home.
Oddly enough she said they have bed bugs at their house now, I think they may have always had bed bugs to tell the truth.

Hey one more thing now that you said you had Geckos.
We have chipmunk's and they like to build their homes in our hot tub like right under the lip that sticks out.

Man I wish I had put metal under there before we put that thing in it is a total war trying to keep them out.

Good luck, it's a very cool booth.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-11-15 6:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Skip. Man, I am always worried about bedbugs hitching a ride home whenever I stay in a hotel. I always keep the suitcases closed up and elevated. Yuck!

We don't have chipmunks in Texas, at least none of the parts I've spent time in. I've always wondered why. Plenty of grey squirrels and occasional ground squirrels around our part of the state, although our beagles and cats keep them at bay. Opossums and armadillos don't generally fare so well, either, come to think of it. The biggest critter problem I've encountered thus far are barn swallows trying to build their nests under the patio roof (cool birds, but too messy to coexist with a tiki bar) and paper wasps that want to build everywhere else. Gotta stay on top of those--I've learned the hard way that a nest can go from zero to sixty in just a few days. Ouch!

Oh! We had roof rats in our palm trees, and later, under the patio. The infestation developed while the house was vacant and on the market for an extended period. The landscaping was so overgrown it gave them tons of cover. We couldn't bait them because of our pets. Took two years of clearing out brush, trapping and cat predation to finally wipe 'em out. For a while, the cats' favorite game was "catch and release" in the house. Hilarity ensued, as I'm sure you can imagine.

www.JaymeBlaschke.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation