FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Lagoon of Mystery
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Lagoon of Mystery
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-18 09:22 am   Permalink

Thanks for the link, Skip! How powerful is that one? I got one of the common, cup-shaped ones on Amazon and while the caustic ripple effect looks good, *any* light source no matter how subdued overwhelms it. If this type is pretty bright, it could be the ticket!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-18 10:03 am   Permalink

Well they make ones that are 500.00 bucks as well.
You can bet the more you pay the better, most of the time at least.

look at the reviews via Amazon for better info on specific light brands.

Good luck!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-18 10:24 am   Permalink

Looks like you can get this one at Wal-Mart. ($150.00)

The American DJ H2O simulates a water flowing effect on walls,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdpfh8lfSoM

https://www.walmart.com/ip/American-DJ-H2O-LED-IR-12W-Led-Multi-Color-Water-Simulated-Effect-Light-Fixture-Factory-Certified-Refurbished/605936646?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=8959&adid=22222222222073613371&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=83975202599163&wl4=kwd-4587574829349549&wl12=605936646_10000009387&wl14=American%20DJ%20H2O%20LED&veh=sem

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-18 10:31 am   Permalink

Yeah the ones that are about $25.00 bucks have a 6-10W led light.
But the $150.00. one has a 50 watt led light.

So look for more wattage.

mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-18 6:20 pm   Permalink

We have something similar to this for a water ripple effect on our underwater ceiling:

http://amzn.to/2tEHBvk

LED is nice, it burns cool, last long, and best of all it made such a difference. You really feel like you're underwater!

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-18 8:04 pm   Permalink

That's cool. Looks like the one I have is the lowest power available--essentially a night light. I suppose I'll just have to try different types until I find one that works for my particular needs. Thanks for the links!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-19 10:19 am   Permalink

Love that name, and looking forward to more progression pictures, and great job.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-08-08 12:21 pm   Permalink

LOVE the ceiling!! I had seen your pix before that, but this totally encompasses the theme of your build name. And I'm a sucker for themes. Keep up the great work, and stay cool!

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-13 6:17 pm   Permalink

Hi Prikli Pear!

LOVE LOVE LOVE everything! I just went through your entire thread and am quite impressed! Everything looks great so far. I think Skip's light suggestion is fab. That would completely kick it up a notch. Can't wait for more progress pics come fall!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-14 07:01 am   Permalink

Thanks for the continued kind words, folks! That kind of egoboo never gets old.

Just a quick update on the lighting situation--I ordered one of the lamp/projectors Skip suggested and the answer is YES! It is indeed bright enough to overcome the ambient light in the bar. In fact, it comes with a fade knob on the back, so you can turn the intensity up or down depending on need. It seems to work best in the Lagoon at about half power. Even better, the unit has an aluminum (not plastic) housing that is easily disassembled. The power cord is a simple two-prong thing, so the wire can easily be switched out. Once I put the wooden cladding on the vertical columns (probably a December project, but that may change) I intend to mount a projector on each one and run the wire up behind the cladding into the ceiling, where I'll tie them all together to one switch. Each projector's only 9 watts max, so that makes it easy. Now, I need to get about five more...

So, in case there was any doubt, TikiSkip's da man, especially when it comes to tiki lighting!

Edut: Okay, my faulty memory's at work again. The projector Skip suggested is still on order. The one I tested successfully is the one linked by Mike & Marie. That one's not so much as a caustic water ripple pattern as a light-reflecting-off-water pattern. The effect is similar, but distinct. Regardless, either approach will work for my needs. I may even alternate projectors to mix things up. Fun!

[ This Message was edited by: Prikli Pear 2017-08-14 07:05 ]

tikitube

Posted: 23 days ago; 8:18 pm   Permalink

Hey, was just thinking about you...hope you are weathering the storm okay down there in TX.

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 22 days ago; 09:25 am   Permalink

We've been very fortunate here. We received at least 15" of rain Saturday-Sunday, but it was evenly spread out. It was mid-afternoon Saturday before we even began to see any runoff. The ground was so dry it soaked it up. The ditches and drainages started to fill after that, and we were worried how that would turn out. The heavy runoff subsided by mid-Sunday, so no flooded garage this time around. The wind was pretty rough, but I don't believe it ever got as high as forecast. We had 30 mph pretty steadily through Saturday night, but I'd say it only reached the predicted 40-plus during occasional gusts. A neighbor's cedar elm lost some big limbs. There were downed oak branches all around. Smaller trees, like crape myrtles and mountain laurels, were flattened here and there. Our big gate to the back yard essentially ripped off its hinges, and I had to cobble together a fix yesterday. But there's no doubt that we were extremely lucky.

Along the Colorado River (not the Grand Canyon one) there's major evacuations. My hometown of Columbus is almost completely evacuated. A flood of this magnitude hasn't hit since at least the 1920s, before the flood control dams in the Hill Country above Austin were constructed. And Houston is completely underwater. The amount of rain dumped on that area this week is simply incomprehensible. It's insane.

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 2:27 pm   Permalink

I've posted quite a few of these build-alongs thus far, but have not yet spoken about bamboo in any great length. In light of that, you may consider this something of an interlude. I don't actually build anything here, but I do show some of the prep work that goes into preparing bamboo for use in tik bar construction. Bamboo Ben, TikiSkip and others are far more experienced than I, so if you need advice, go to them. This is just a process I've developed via trial-and-error for my limited needs.

There are two things about torching bamboo that I did not expect. First, the green culms, when toasted, smell wonderful. Dried ones smell charred and nasty, but semi-fresh, green bamboo emits this savory odor that reminds me of hot dogs and spring baseball. How's that for weirdly specific imagery? Secondly, I find torching bamboo oddly relaxing. I can sort of zone out and let inertial take over, shutting down my higher brain functions. It's almost like meditation, I suppose. I wouldn't have expected that, but there it is.

Most of the bamboo I have access to is, I think, the Golden Bamboo variety. Which is a runner and invasive, but it's contained by geography to a tight thicket. The largest culms I've found are just over 2" wide, which is good for my use--no big timbers here. I'll let them dry a little for a few weeks before applying flame. If I'm busy, it takes longer to get to them. Either way, they're usually still some kind of green. Torching fully dried bamboo that's turned a pale yellow is a pain.

When you apply flame to fresh(ish) bamboo, the natural resins boil up to the surface. You can see that here, in the white droplets. Rub this down with a rag to spread the resin evenly over the bamboo surface to get a polished, shiny appearance that has some degree of weather resistance. It'll wear off with exposure to the elements, but it's a good, natural protectant.

Torching green bamboo is almost fool-proof. The color change is dramatic and striking. As the resin boils up, the bamboo will go from bright green to drab olive. When the final heat change happens, it goes from olive to tan instantly. What's more, it changes is abrupt sections. It's crazy--it looks almost pixellated, like an obscure Atari game from the early 80s. It's impossible not to notice.

Once all of the culm has changed color, I'll go back over the nodes to apply a bit more flame. That results in deeper contrast. When torching bamboo, I use just a simple butane torch from the hardware store. Nothing fancy. I do a segment at a time, rotating the culm as I brush the flame back and forth with deliberate strokes. Note that the nodes are solid and the internal segments are air-tight, so if you're torching smaller bamboo pieces, the water in the wood will steam, build up pressure and burst the culm. This is startling if you don't expect it. I either knock the nodes out with a long piece of rebar for the larger culms, or use a tiny drill bit to punch a hole near the nodes. Either way, a hot air/steam mix may blow out, so watch that you don't accidentally burn yourself.

Once heated, the bamboo hardens and loses any flex it once had, so if you plan to bend it into shapes for lamps, furniture or other creative uses, best be sure to bend it into that position before applying flame. Personally, I need straight pieces now for wall trim, etc., so I'm torching them as-is.

Of course, 8' bamboo poles take up a lot of room and can get in the way. Even after torching, they need to dry out and lose that extra water. I solved my storage problem with a few pieces of PVC pipe I hung from the garage roof. I've got a dehumidifier I run if the weather gets too wet and the garage too damp. Most of the time, however, the climate in there's pretty favorable for the bamboo. Up out of the way, it sits there minding its own business until I need it. And I've needed quite a bit lately.

For anyone who's interested in such things, I've a longer writeup
on my blog.

mikehooker

Posted: 14 days ago; 12:33 pm   Permalink

Great post. Looking forward to seeing more progress shots.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube

Posted: 14 days ago; 7:33 pm   Permalink

Great insights, thanks again for sharing!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation