FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Lagoon of Mystery
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Lagoon of Mystery
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-09 06:36 am   Permalink

Your thread is whats so unique about Tiki Central's' "Home Tiki Bar" section. Everyone gets to benefit watching the process you go through to create what you like. FYI, you can also cut the bamboo board with a heavy pair of scissors.

Looking forward to see what you make next.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-25 09:50 am   Permalink

Of course I started on the last page but ended up looking at every page. Fun ideas and done so well. This upcoming summer you'll be ready for a party or your own tiki crawl. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-30 8:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words, MaukaHale! I learned so much my reading everyone else's bar-build threads that I thought it only fitting to share my trial-and-error flailings as well. If someone can take inspiration from what I cobble together--of better yet, avoid some of my missteps--then I'll be happy.

Always a pleasure to have you comment on my thread, Wendy! If it's any consolation, more than once I've checked in on your thread and found myself going down the rabbit hole of previous postings--but this thread is only up to 7 pages, whereas YOURS is at 595!

A brief, tangential update for Christmas. The Wife's favorite movie is "Joe vs. the Volcano," so after reading Absolute60's
Hula Lamp thread earlier this year, I knew I would have to make one for her. Here's the result:

Rather than cannibalize an existing lamp, I made the base out of scrap oak from my porthole project (the oak worked a lot better as a lamp base than as a porhole) and a lamp kit from Lowe's. I had an interesting length of bamboo that would work as the vertical body of the lamp. That was all pretty straightforward. I routered out a cavity for a music box movement that plays "Lovely Hula Hands."

The shade was a royal pain. I reworked the artwork for the shade, originally done by a poster going by the handle of Jintosh on the RPF boards. Then the shade I ordered from Zazzle turned out to be the uno type, rather than the harp-and-filial type fitting that my lamp kit was designed for. Very disappointed by Zazzle's lack of responsiveness on this, and lack of clarity on the lamp shade page. Nevertheless, I managed to cobble together an adapter, then added manila rope trim to the top and raffia skirting to the bottom.

More photos (and detail) than you could possibly want may be found on my blog writeup.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-31 6:18 pm   Permalink

One project forced upon me recently was building a new gate for our dog kennel. The original fencing and gate were put up hastily 3 years ago and never meant to be permanent. Recently, one of our beagles has become a Houdini (Houndini?) of sorts and escapes over the gate. So I built a 5' bamboo gate to confound his efforts and blend with out future plans for the area on the other side of the pool. I harvested, cut and torched all the bamboo by hand, because rolls of 6' bamboo fencing runs $90 and it's not like I'm made of money. The frame was built using a hinge/frame kit from Lowes and scrap 2x4s I had in the garage, coated with weather sealant.

Because of the urgency of the build, the bamboo didn't dry as long as it normally should have, so I expect shrinkage and cracking. To aid its longevity, I filled the cavities along the top and bottom with "Good Stuff" foam. Once it finished expanding (it expands a LOT) and cured, I trimmed it back and capped the ends with outdoor wood putty. Once that cured, and I sanded it down, I finished sealing the ends with a coat of spar urethane. At least now the bamboo won't pool water and rot from the inside out.

And this is the gate in place. Post holes, steel posts and concrete not photographed, but I assure you it was a pain, as was ripping out the decorative rusting steel garden arbor the previous owners had placed there. Yuck. The gate's currently secured with a simple chain and hook, but that'll be upgraded as I install the permanent bamboo fencing at some point--hopefully this spring?

Alas, my efforts haven't been completely successful. Houndini has escaped twice, but those have been traced back to my failing to secure the fence to gate posts properly, rather than any fault with the gate itself. Time will tell.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-31 7:50 pm   Permalink

Next up is a project I began back in the spring--a rum shelf for the back bar. I built the frame from scrap wood handy, but I wanted it clad with bamboo segments. That meant harvesting, burning, cutting and drying all the bamboo. That proved somewhat time-consuming. But, with the holiday break upon me, I had time to finish the project. I marked a reference line on the shelf frame, and a matching line on the bamboo segments. I drilled holes in the bamboo and matching holes in the plywood of the frame. I threaded 22 gauge jewelry wire through the holes in the bamboo, which involved a bit of trial-and-error before I got the knack of it.

I then threaded the wires through the corresponding holes in the plywood frame. Simply tying them didn't give enough stability, so I cut a wooden dowel to length and inserted this before tying. This made the tie much tighter (although 22 gauge wire was still too thin to tie very tight lest it snap.

If you're thinking this looks like too much work, you'd be correct. Once I got all the bamboo tied on, I ran a bead of Titebond II glue where the bamboo met the wood, just of a little added stability. It won't take any kind of stress, but stabilized the whole setup a bit. For the open ends of the bamboo segments, I repeated the process I used on the bamboo gate above--fill the cavities with Good Stuff foam, trim the excess and fill with wood putty, finishing up with a spar urethane seal.

I attached the shelf to the back bar using a couple of galvanized mending plates. Simple and effective. See those routered grooves in the cross-supports? My initial intent was to run LED lighting through there, so as to illuminate the bottles from below, through a translucent plexiglass shelf, not entirely dissimilar to what
ProgrockTV has done with his home bar. Alas, the appropriate plexiglass is not cheap and not lying around my garage in sufficient scrap quantities to make this happen at the moment. Rather than wait until I had sufficient surplus funds, I cut out a piece of the same laminate flooring I've used for the bar top to serve as the shelf. It actually looks pretty good, blending in with the existing bar for now.

Once everything was back in place, I gave it a test drive, so to speak, with a variety of liquors and liqueurs handy. I think it turned out pretty well. Now, all that remains to do is install the sink and faucet (and plumbing, duh) and the back bar will be completed. I look back at the first page of this thread and amazed at how far I've come in less than a year. Crazy!

As always, I have a more detailed writeup posted on my blog for those who just can't get enough build-along!

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-07 12:21 pm   Permalink

Looking good! I love the details for your projects. They will be helpful for those trying something similar.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki  Email LoriLovesTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-18 08:11 am   Permalink

For some unfathomable reason, this year winter in Texas has decided to act like winter in other parts of the world and actually be cold. We've had snow. Twice. Sleet. Freezing rain. For comparison, last winter we had a total of 390 chill hours (ie, the total number of hours spent below 45F, a number closely watched by fruit tree growers). This winter we topped 500 hours before the end of December. So that's driven me indoors, where I started work on a sign for the Lagoon, among other things.

After noodling around on the computer and coming up with an acceptable graphic design, I printed it out on paper, the transferred that design onto a board using my good old Xacto knife and a pencil. Once that was done, I used my trim router to carve out the big area and my Dremel to get the details. I always include too much detail work. I'm dumb that way. I have to confess that this would've been a perfect job to use the nice, German wood-carving set my brother gifted me with a decade ago, but last summer I boxed them up and put them away because of a different project, and have since been unable to find them. Like I said, I'm dumb that way.

So instead of using nice German wood carving chisels, I was left to cut in the texture of the water with the Dremel. Time consuming? Oh, yes.

After that, I torched the sign to get that textured Witco look. This is always fun, and makes pretty pictures. I then scrubbed it down with a wire brush to remove all the carbonized (ie burnt) wood. Guess what? That removed most of the texture to the water I'd spent all that time adding. sigh

Next up, a coat of Minwax Special Walnut for the "framing" section. I thought I could get away with just the Special Walnut, but I ended up adding a topcoat of Dark Walnut just because it looks so much nicer, and give so much more visual depth. Once that dried, I attacked the rest of the sign with paint. For the most part, I used what I already had on hand--the blue with the glitter in it that I used on the ceiling, the green and black for my directional sign. I ended up spending $4 for some cheap, exterior acrylic in yellow and red for the hibiscus, because I had no yellow or red. When am I going to learn with this hibiscus design? Apparently never. Super-detailed and a huge time sink, but I continue adding it to every wood carving project I come up with.

I drilled pilot holes 4.5" from either end of the sign then added eyehooks. This is how the sign will be hung (duh). I did the same for matching companion hooks in the ceiling beam, which kinda goes without saying, but I say it anyway because, as The Wife says, I'm anal like that.

As if this update wasn't exciting enough, this is the application of water-based spar urethane! I know I've deprived you of witnessing this joy on previous updates, but no more! A couple of technical points: I have both water- and oil-based spar urethane on hand, but went with the water type because it dries clear and I didn't want the paint colors muddled. The oil type dries with a kind of sepia tone to it, which looks great on natural-looking stained wood, but I didn't trust it with the colored paint. Also, urethanes are notorious for capturing bubbles when applied, and then drying that way, marring the finish. I have to confess I've not seen water-bases spar urethane do that. I goes on easy, and any bubbles vanish before it dries. Very forgiving.

And here is the finished sign, in situ. I'm happy with it, although looking back, there are all manner of things I'd have done differently. Also, it's double-sided, so it's visible from either direction. Double the workload, double the fun, right?

As always, there are more photos and detailed step-by-step descriptions
on my blog for those who are gluttons for punishment.

[ This Message was edited by: Prikli Pear 2018-01-25 13:04 ]

mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-01-18 1:15 pm   Permalink

Truly appreciate the attention to detail you put into all your projects and the effort you put into each post.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hami-The-Tiki-Torch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-01-19 08:52 am   Permalink

Great stuff! Love all the pics.

Enjoyed your appearance on Marooned! Super informative. Keep on keepin' on!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/marooned-a-texas-tiki-podcast/id1257608123

View Profile of Hami-The-Tiki-Torch Send a personal message to Hami-The-Tiki-Torch  Email Hami-The-Tiki-Torch Goto the website of Hami-The-Tiki-Torch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-19 12:33 pm   Permalink

Appreciate the compliments, Mike! I've always figured that if I'm going to do it, might as well do it-- well, not "right" exactly, but maybe less half-assed than normal!

Hami, appreciate your listening in! I was a whole lot of fun, and David and Jennifer made fantastic guests.

For anyone else interested, David Phantomatic dropped by the Lagoon of Mystery last week during a much-welcome break in the cold weather we've been having this winter to record an episode of
Marooned: A Texas Tiki Podcast. Looking back, I'm kicking myself for drawing a blank when trying to remember Mr. Pupu Pants and Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway, where I got the idea to use glitter crystals in my ceiling paint for a shimmering effect. Also, the actress from It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is Barrie Chase, who I could not remember for the life of me at the time.

Break out the Barbancourt 5-Star! Port Au Princes all around!

David and Jennifer saying "Man, what is taking him so long with those drinks?"

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2018-01-19 2:21 pm   Permalink

Nice job on the bamboo work! If you have some extra bamboo you could add two more pieces to the gate like below. If you had wider pieces to add, that would be even better.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-20 8:07 pm   Permalink

Honestly, that had not occurred to me, Hakalugi. A split clum would go nicely over those screws. Thanks for the suggestion!

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-25 1:14 pm   Permalink

I have realized that despite an over-abundance of build-along photos on this thread, I have not shared any "glamour shots" of the Lagoon of Mystery as it looks in operation. Here is my effort to correct that. The build is far from finished, and I've yet to figure out what I'm going to do with those white doors, but this should give a good indication of the vibe I've got going.

I think the ceiling is the most striking feature of the whole bar. The sea life silhouettes (which are more visible in person than in photos) coupled with the LED ripple projector does an impressive job of selling the illusion of being under water. The glitter crystals I added to the blue paint also lends a subtle shimmering effect that contributes. I'm ready for the weather to warm up so I can finish all the silhouette details.

[ This Message was edited by: Prikli Pear 2018-01-25 13:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Prikli Pear 2018-01-25 13:27 ]

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-26 10:58 am   Permalink

Looks great already, best of luck with the rest.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-27 2:07 pm   Permalink

I haven't cruised TC for awhile so it was really fun to find your thread and to see your projects in the backyard. You have some creative ideas. I'm going to have to remember to come back and to check up on you. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation