FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Exotica night every 1st Thursday @ the Yachtsman, Philadelphia Pa
Exotica night every 1st Thursday @ the Yachtsman, Philadelphia Pa
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-08 08:10 am   Permalink

My friend Djs a monthly exotica night at the Yachtsman now. Every 1st Thursday 9-midnight. No cover. Get $5 off your first drink if you bring your own mug.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
okoolihau

Posted: 2017-04-18 09:36 am   Permalink

Is it a good crowd? I've avoided the Yachtsman as it's been mediocre the times I've been there, but if there's a chance of actual exotica being played (instead the soundtrack to Paul Simon's The Capeman, which was seriously playing the when I was there), and a few other tiki fans to rub elbows with, I'm down.

View Profile of okoolihau Send a personal message to okoolihau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-18 7:33 pm   Permalink

The Djs only spin exotica on vinyl until 12 or 1 depending on the crowd. Its cool that people came out and brought their own mugs.

Greenrock Tavern just started doing a monthly tiki night, with drinks served in mugs, but unfortunately they were playing yacht rock, and there were only a couple people ordering drinks.

Quote:

On 2017-04-18 09:36, okoolihau wrote:
Is it a good crowd? I've avoided the Yachtsman as it's been mediocre the times I've been there, but if there's a chance of actual exotica being played (instead the soundtrack to Paul Simon's The Capeman, which was seriously playing the when I was there), and a few other tiki fans to rub elbows with, I'm down.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-25 08:54 am   Permalink

Very cool development. On the couple of occasions that we brought a bunch of Tiki people to the bar, they played Exotica for us - until the 7 o'clock crowd came in, who wanted anything but Exotica on. I hope this takes root. If it does, we'll bring a bunch of the DC Tikiphiles up to Philly again.

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-28 5:22 pm   Permalink

what on earth is "yacht rock"? It sounds frightening, like frat rock. And They played the soundtrack to Capeman? I'm sure Paul Simon's family didn't even want a copy of that.
ok after posting this Mr. Tikigoddess filled me in on yacht rock. Ye gads yuck, do the hipster youth think its cool in an ironic sense?

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGoddess 2017-04-29 12:21 ]

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-07 12:26 am   Permalink

In a not so shocking turn of events the Yactsman is closed for good. Exotica night has been moved to Ortlieb's where they are still doing a tiki mug discount.

http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/2017/05/05/tommy-up-yachtsman-bankruptcy/

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation