Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars My Tiki Bar & Home Theater build
My Tiki Bar & Home Theater build
progrocktv

Posted: 2017-05-16 11:32 am   Permalink

Hi all,
It's been in the planning stages for years, but I'm FINALLY getting around to building my bar! I bought a Mid Century house about 2 years ago with a finished basement. originally I was going to have the bar and a home theater separate from the bar, but decided just to Tiki the whole thing, so this will be a combination of a Tiki Bar and Tiki Home Theater. The Theater will be the last part of the project but the most important emphasis will be to retain the Tiki spirit such as hiding the projector & speakers, framing the projection screen in bamboo, and having the screen "default" in to a mural so it will just look like a giant picture when not in use.
Naturally this will be a multi year project, but figured this would be as good a place as any to document my progress. Naturally, any feedback is most welcome.

Here is the initial space before I start my build. When I was looking at the house, my real estate agent (who is also an MCM fan) discovered that on the other side of this wall (where the laundry room is) were exposed hot and cold water pipes as well as the drain pipe from the sink upstairs, so this would be the PERFECT place for the bar. I'm going to be adding a back bar and make it a wet bar.

Opposite view

And, turning to the right, the theater

I originally was going to build a bar, but found this in an indoor flea market and couldn't pass it up. I'm planning on replacing the Cane Weave with something more like Lauhala Matting to make it more "tikified"

I'll also be adding a thatch awning over the bar which will contain more shelving.

Now here's the kicker, when getting the home inspected, the chimney had 3 flues. There is a fireplace in the living room and I assumed the other 2 were sealed, however the inspector said only one was, another flue went deeper than the living room. We rushed down to the basement to the home theater section, took out his infrared gun and saw there was something behind the wall! Naturally I HAD to see what was behind it and hit the lottery!!!

Stay tuned, I have plans for this thing

Next up, prep the main wall for a mural my girlfriend will be painting and eradicate all of the white walls and ceiling, as well as tearing up the carpet in the bar section (I have plans for the floor

Cheers!

View Profile of progrocktv Send a personal message to progrocktv      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-16 1:23 pm   Permalink

Serendipity can be so much fun! I mean, really, who just throws sheetrock up over a perfectly good fireplace? Congratulations on the great find.

That looks like a fantastic space for tikification. The bar is a sweet find, and I'm currently a few steps ahead of you regarding the back bar/wet bar scenario. I connected the dots with the plumbing behind the wall, and am gearing up to hook up the sink and running water. We'll see if my plumbing skills can match my ambition. Can't wait to see your aesthetic take shape!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-16 2:58 pm   Permalink

I also have a home theater and tiki bar. I look forward to see how you put it all together. I noticed you have a low sealing, so hanging lights will be a challenge. My recommendation would be to figure out the electrical configuration before you put materials on the walls and ceiling.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
progrocktv

Posted: 2017-05-16 9:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-05-16 14:58, MaukaHale wrote:
I also have a home theater and tiki bar. I look forward to see how you put it all together. I noticed you have a low sealing, so hanging lights will be a challenge. My recommendation would be to figure out the electrical configuration before you put materials on the walls and ceiling.

Ceilings are 8 feet so I have a LITTLE room to play with, but I'll keep most lighting over to the corners. I have a basic plan for electrical but I'm also going to have a grid of hollowed out bamboo for cable runs

View Profile of progrocktv Send a personal message to progrocktv      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation