FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Request: Don the Beachcomber's Hawaiian Nachos
Request: Don the Beachcomber's Hawaiian Nachos
monorail91

Posted: 2017-05-18 06:01 am   Permalink

Me and all of the ohana are crazy about the Hawaiian Nachos at Don the Beachcomber. I feel like they should be simple enough to recreate, but haven't had any luck myself.

Here's a photo of the real deal:

The recipe should be:
-Wonton chips
-Sweet & sour sauce? (This is where I'm iffy)
-Pineapple chunks
-Shredded cheese
-Meat of choice (optional)

Warm in the oven, so the cheese melts and the chips become toasted.

But mine never turn out right, so was wondering if anyone knew the TRUE recipe or had successfully recreated.

[ This Message was edited by: monorail91 2017-05-18 06:01 ]

View Profile of monorail91 Send a personal message to monorail91      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-18 07:31 am   Permalink

Nothing about the sweet n sour sauce they use there has ever really leapt out at me as especially different from SnS I've had elsewhere, I imagine they're using standard issue Chinese takeout industry sauce. I haven't had especially great luck replicating it in my home kitchen, but Plum Sauce or Duck Sauce from the Asian market cut with a bit of seasoned rice vinegar and a dash of soy sauce and freshly grated ginger scratches the itch well enough.

You might also want to investigate this:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/sweet-and-sour-sauce.html

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Early Landed Larry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-05-19 5:09 pm   Permalink

That looks like pulled pork on there - is it? Pineapple would be a good foil to that. You can do a pretty solid oven cooked version of that if you need to (I'm kind of a heretic as I don't really think pork is best served smoked and barbecued).

View Profile of Early Landed Larry Send a personal message to Early Landed Larry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation