[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Outdoor / Cold Weather Tips & Tricks
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Outdoor / Cold Weather Tips & Tricks
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-10-31 7:14 pm   Permalink

Reading about the work you guys do makes me realize how spoiled I am in Zone 10 I'd much rather put up with 100+ degree days from April through October, the plants like it better too.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-11-05 3:50 pm   Permalink

We still haven't shut down the lanai. Autumn this year was a second summer out here, the past few weeks have been chilly but the basil was still growing last time we looked, there's still a few cana blooms, a couple of crickets, seems like the autumn leaves have just started turning

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HodagHut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-11-05 5:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-31 19:14, MadDogMike wrote:
Reading about the work you guys do makes me realize how spoiled I am in Zone 10 I'd much rather put up with 100+ degree days from April through October, the plants like it better too.

On the other hand, twenty below has a way of keeping out the riff raff.

B

View Profile of HodagHut Send a personal message to HodagHut  Email HodagHut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-11-06 11:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-30 20:28, HodagHut wrote:
Prikli, Skip -

Thanks for your ideas. The rest of the year the windows are covered by large screens, roughly 4'x4' which keep the mosquitoes out - our other major weather feature up here.

When we bought the house in 2007, there were fairly hideous canvas covers over the windows which rotted out sometime during the Carter Administration. The last few winters, I just had tarps covering the windows, drilled in place. When we got busy on the Hut this summer, it was decided that we should do something slightly more permanent.

The boards are held in place with the same clips that hold the screens in place. It takes about thirty minutes to switch them out and I can't complain about the price.

So far it's been a great hangout, and it's nice to bring some Tiki to the Northwoods.

We've got a similar screened in area. My plan is to build polycarbonate storm windows that I can install during colder months, and drop a tiny wood stove in. Of course, winter is right around the corner and I'm not quite there yet!

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-11-06 11:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-05 17:50, HodagHut wrote:
On the other hand, twenty below has a way of keeping out the riff raff.

Yes, 120 above does the same thing. Otherwise we would have the traffic and housing prices of nearby (120 miles) San Diego

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-11-06 12:28 pm   Permalink

"On the other hand, twenty below has a way of keeping out the riff raff."

Ha! we still have riff and raff here in Ohio.

In California they keep the "riff raff" out by pricing the homes so high that the riff raff can't afford to live there.
Then go on about how they love the riff and raff.

We are on to you Justin Bieber!

Wait without his money Justin Bieber would be the most riff raffiest guy there is.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2017-11-07 06:22 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HodagHut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-11-06 5:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-06 11:11, tikitube wrote:
We've got a similar screened in area. My plan is to build polycarbonate storm windows that I can install during colder months, and drop a tiny wood stove in. Of course, winter is right around the corner and I'm not quite there yet!

I'm leaving it unheated because I'm worried about moisture building up inside. Even thought it is uninsulated and not even remotely airtight, I worry about any kind of moisture building up in the reed fencing on the walls. The last thing I want is a mold problem.

We intentionally left the building uninsulated as that would've triggered the need for a building permit - as far as the city is concerned, we did work on the shed out back. Once the real snow hits here, it's about a 50' slog through two - three feet of snow, more if drifts occur.

There will come a night real soon when I won't go in there for the rest of 2017, I'm just not looking forward to it.

The big last project for this year was installing our table project inside to keep it out of the snow. We scored a 54" diameter wire spool that we'll tiki-ize into a table next year.

B

View Profile of HodagHut Send a personal message to HodagHut  Email HodagHut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube

Posted: 2017-11-06 9:13 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2017-11-06 17:03, HodagHut wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-11-06 11:11, tikitube wrote:

I'm leaving it unheated because I'm worried about moisture building up inside. Even thought it is uninsulated and not even remotely airtight, I worry about any kind of moisture building up in the reed fencing on the walls. The last thing I want is a mold problem.

Good point. There won't be much difference in temp between outside and inside in our room, and when we do fire up the wood stove it should dry out the room pretty well. But watching the humidity levels and condensation is important.

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-11-07 06:21 am   Permalink

"I'm worried about moisture building up inside"

There is mold resistant paint you could use behind the reed on the walls.
Plus could you spray the walls and reed with some kind of mold inhibiter TSP/ water down bleach?

Just painting the wood walls would keep the moister at bay as moister would not soak into the wood.
It did help in our shed.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HodagHut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-11-07 07:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-07 06:21, tikiskip wrote:
"I'm worried about moisture building up inside"

There is mold resistant paint you could use behind the reed on the walls.
Plus could you spray the walls and reed with some kind of mold inhibiter TSP/ water down bleach?

Just painting the wood walls would keep the moister at bay as moister would not soak into the wood.
It did help in our shed.

*Now* you tell me!

B

tikitube

Posted: 2017-11-12 11:41 pm   Permalink

Here's another tip...if you have a plumbed bar sink that will be in the cold (under a patio or porch), pour a little antifreeze down the sink so that any water left standing in the p-trap doesn't freeze and cause damage. I also shut off the water supply valve from inside the house and then open the tap at the bar.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation