FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » We need to talk about your kitsch problem...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
We need to talk about your kitsch problem...
Piddersthecat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-07-01 9:17 pm   Permalink

Well apparently my white privilege has gotten me no where :/ and as a Canadian, I'd be obligated to yell sorry for being mad as hell and yell sorry for yelling

But I do wish that people wouldn't suck the joy out of things...ffs. If I had a child who watched Moana and wanted a Moana bedroom, no one would care...perhaps that's what I'll tell people, it's a Moana bedroom for my cat!

Happy Canada Day!

View Profile of Piddersthecat Send a personal message to Piddersthecat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-02 12:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

My biggest problem right now is that my wife has taken a strong liking to pink flamingoes, which I have tried to address by keeping them far away from the bar and toward the periphery of our backyard. This ranges from towels on the chaises, a plastic one stuck out in the garden and another small garden light to a bright neon light that I have banished to the top of a beer cooler at the far end of the garage. So far, so good – I’m holding my breath hoping she doesn’t bring any more home…

When I was a kid my parents took me and my sister to the top of the El Cortez/San Diego for our first cocktails (Shirley Temples) and I was instantly hooked on the whole bar genre. I was fascinated by the environment, the cocktail glasses, the coasters, the straws, the fruity decor...and the bar was like seeing the city of Oz for me. My parents weren't drinkers,but when I would go to other friend's houses, they would have delightful bars and I was in awe. But my favorite of all time had to be the Bali Hai/San Diego. I used to hang around at the hotels on Shelter island as a kid and it felt so wonderful to be wrapped in the Palms, Rubber Trees, Birds of Paradise, the nautical fringes, the beautiful San Diego Bay. Mr Bali Hai was a God to me...he beckoned me inside for more awesome treasures. Dad took us to Disneyland every summer and the Tiki Tiki Tiki Room was a favorite. I felt that same comfort wrapped in tropical splendor. When I was of age,my friends and eventually the ex and I went to the Hanlei many times and the Polynesian splendor was overwhelmingly calling me to feel that blending of the tropics, cocktails, and music...it was comforting and familiar.

Fast forward and life takes many turns. I had forgotten about the comfort I had in the bar, Tiki, tropical, socializing atmosphere. But some things I clung to. Before I ever knew of the Tiki community I would buy exotica music and tropical decor. After my divorce I shopped frequently at thrift and antique stores. I found a large 60's rattan/bamboo bar with stools and put it in my garage.

My friend and I went to Kauai once and I loved the exotica music they played on the plane so I looked it up when I got back home and all that searching lead me to TC. I was sold, it all came together for me. I never was much for anything from Party City so thankfully missed that mistake. I learned a lot from the TC community. I was saddened when new people posted "bad" Tiki and were admonished by the experts. I am certainly guilty of complementing the struggling home bar posters. I got in big trouble myself for hanging my Vontiki bike form the ceiling in my lounge, but I defended it as a piece of art. I went to a few events (Tiki Oasis, Tiki Caliente and crawls) and met many new friends and linked with other Tikiphiles in Sacramento. I realized I would never be an expert but I learned a lot from Wendy & Dan, Duane, Mark and Mike. Looking at their decor and collections helped to guide me in the right direction.

I have to say that over the years I have truly grown to appreciate our purists and folks that blend their collections with their other passions. I too have an unending love of Flamingos. Thankfully I won't be mixing them in with the Tiki, but am going to have them take center stage in my 50's diner style kitchen (a work in progress). I cringe when I read articles by self-proclaimed experts that don't seem to "get" Tiki, so I guess I have learned a little.

Couldn't have made it this far without Sven/BOT, Les Baxter/my personal Vibe fetish, Forbidden Island/Monkeypod, all the wonderful Tiki artists, the awesomeness of the El Cortez, and mostly the Bali Hai.

In a nutshell, I'm living my childhood over as an adult.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-03 10:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-01 07:45, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:
Too bad that he caved, because literally nothing happens if you don't.

Yep, in a week or 2 things would blow over and all would be forgotten. I remember reading the article and when the owner mentioned he "made a mistake" I wanted to give him and hug and say "no, they're wrong dude."

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2017-07-03 10:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-01 12:14, happy buddha wrote:
Just for some perspective, does anyone know specifically what is causing the offense? Is it the mere existence of a tiki bar, or using island imagery and artifacts as decor, or is it the use of big white buck toothed sunglass-wearing 'joe cool' tiki imagery?
Because there is some precedent for the latter being seen as insensitive. But would the protesters be offended at a place like the Mai Kai, or Vic's, where they celebrate the culture and origins, even while making it their own?

The latter was definitely part of the issue. From the article:
Quote:
Davidson said that residents of Polynesian ancestry, including those with the Oregon State University Asian and Pacific Cultural Center, complained about a combination of factors such as the use of a Hawaiian name, traditional iconography displayed in a cartoonish way, and how plastic leis were handed off to customers.

Personally, I tend to get offended by these cartoonish Tikis too!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-04 05:33 am   Permalink

Haka: agreed!

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-04 11:26 am   Permalink

"Personally, I tend to get offended by these cartoonish Tikis too!"

Like this?

Or maybe this....

Could be these too.

This dress offended people so much they paid $700.00 for it.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-04 11:44 am   Permalink

And what is next?
People protesting the fact that Shag does mostly white people in his art?

Maybe fat people will get mad too as mostly thin size 4s only make in his art as well.
Heck even real life people who are put in Shags art are like way smaller in size
when done by Shag.

NONE of this bugs me, just saying that anyone can get "offended" by something in what you do.

ARE you next?
Is what you do the next thing that must be stopped!

Heck cartoonish tiki offend people of Polynesian ancestry the folk that gave us Kill Haole Day.

Kill Haole Day is full blown in your face no kinda offensive.

This madness has to stop.

Kill Haole Day From Wikipedia...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_Haole_Day

“I also never heard whether the holiday had occasioned any actual homicides.”

"Finnegan says people told him the main targets of Kill A Haole Day were off-duty servicemen hanging out in Waikiki and Chinatown, but I have never seen any proof of that."

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2017-07-04 12:21 pm   Permalink

I agree Skip, acting upon being offended by something is wrong. Hapuna Kahuna should have been left alone. People are free to like and dislike what they choose and voicing it is fine.

Maybe you don't agree with me, and that's okay, but to me, Shag is fine and I still don't like Party City Tiki. Bleeaah!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JasonMa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-07-04 12:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-04 12:21, Hakalugi wrote:
I agree Skip, acting upon being offended by something is wrong.

I honestly can't believe somebody just wrote that. So you're suggesting the various racist, sexist, and derogatory images over the years of blacks, Asians, Indians, Irish, Italians, women, Jews, Muslims, and many other groups should have been allowed to exist with no calls for removal, boycotts, etc? Really?

View Profile of JasonMa Send a personal message to JasonMa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-04 1:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-04 12:57, JasonMa wrote:
Quote:

I honestly can't believe somebody just wrote that. So you're suggesting the various racist, sexist, and derogatory images over the years of blacks, Asians, Indians, Irish, Italians, women, Jews, Muslims, and many other groups should have been allowed to exist with no calls for removal, boycotts, etc? Really?

He's referring to a TIKI BAR...on TIKI CENTRAL.

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JasonMa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-07-04 2:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-04 13:43, Or Got Rum? wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-07-04 12:57, JasonMa wrote:
Quote:

He's referring to a TIKI BAR...on TIKI CENTRAL.

OK, that makes a little more sense if that's the case. In the context of the post I wasn't really sure.

I'm not sure I agree with the statement in that context but its not an unbelievable statement.

View Profile of JasonMa Send a personal message to JasonMa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2017-07-04 2:53 pm   Permalink

Jason, I mean acting out in a physical sense is wrong (unless it's self defense). Of course people are free to speak out and boycott however they want. Using physical actions to show that you are offended, such as hitting, injuring, or "killing a Haole" is wrong. Right?

And yes, as Or Got Rum pointed out. We are talking Tiki here.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-04 8:10 pm   Permalink

Yeah Hakalugi I don't like Party City tiki as well.
What I was trying to say is there are many levels of what people would call cartoony tiki.

I like most of the images I posted, love Shag, Love Bosko.
But you know that they would fall into the cartoony category if a person wanted to put them there.

It feels like people are just looking REALLY hard to find something, ANY thing that could offend them.

So is the Wigwam Motel next?
http://www.wigwammotel.com/

JasonMa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-07-05 08:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-04 14:53, Hakalugi wrote:
Jason, I mean acting out in a physical sense is wrong (unless it's self defense). Of course people are free to speak out and boycott however they want. Using physical actions to show that you are offended, such as hitting, injuring, or "killing a Haole" is wrong. Right?

And yes, as Or Got Rum pointed out. We are talking Tiki here.

That makes more sense.

mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-09 7:19 pm   Permalink

We have the final solution for anyone who has any kind of PC problem with tiki at all.

Just serve them a Red Pill Cocktail and call it a night!

It always works, but Don the Beachcomber suggests not having it on an empty stomach

[ This Message was edited by: mike and marie 2017-07-09 19:19 ]

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation