FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » We need to talk about your kitsch problem...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
We need to talk about your kitsch problem...
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-10 06:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-04 20:10, tikiskip wrote:
Yeah Hakalugi I don't like Party City tiki as well.
What I was trying to say is there are many levels of what people would call cartoony tiki.

I like most of the images I posted, love Shag, Love Bosko.
But you know that they would fall into the cartoony category if a person wanted to put them there.

It feels like people are just looking REALLY hard to find something, ANY thing that could offend them.

So is the Wigwam Motel next?
http://www.wigwammotel.com/

And this is exactly my point. We can't look at this from our perspective, nor can we do the whole "have a Mai Tai and chill out" thing. From the non-Tikiphile perspective, this shit is ugly and so are we. It is easy picking. Cartoony depictions of religious and culturally significant artifacts: check. Objectification of women as purely sex objects: check ...

And then we top it off with the old white guy "What's next, you won't be able to offend anyone?" thing and BAM, Tiki is defacto out. Sign carrying young people out front, or more likely, #stoptiki or some other hash tag starts...

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-10 11:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-10 06:22, Swanky wrote:
And this is exactly my point. We can't look at this from our perspective, nor can we do the whole "have a Mai Tai and chill out" thing. From the non-Tikiphile perspective, this shit is ugly and so are we. It is easy picking. Cartoony depictions of religious and culturally significant artifacts: check. Objectification of women as purely sex objects: check ...

And then we top it off with the old white guy "What's next, you won't be able to offend anyone?" thing and BAM, Tiki is defacto out. Sign carrying young people out front, or more likely, #stoptiki or some other hash tag starts...

...And then shit all happens. As I said before, if you offend these people, NOTHING happens.

I agree that "what's next, can't we offend anybody, you're being to sensitive" is a bad argument to make. It just makes you look like an insensitive, entitled jerk, and that is about the worst way to respond to people who hold feelings, sensitivity, and victimization as their primary virtue. I mean, insofar as nothing happens if you offend them. So I'd refer back to the strategizing I wrote out before... Don't play on their terms, challenge their terms. Reframe the discussion. Delegitimize their arguments. Assert your own dignity and rights.

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-10 12:44 pm   Permalink

So, with all this talk about people being offended... I just saw an article that Disney, in their Pirates of the Caribbean attractions around the world, has decided to remove the wench auction scenes. But they are leaving the scenes featuring arson, greed, stealing, drunkenness, torture, murder, rifling and pillaging and plundering and looting, and an assorted array of other fun stuff. Drink up, me hearties!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-10 2:49 pm   Permalink

Something I point out to folks who enjoy dressing up and playing pirate!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-10 4:20 pm   Permalink

You can bet that the fat stupid drunk Disney Pirate is still a white guy.
We are too lazy to rise up and protest.

But this kind of thing will make people think twice about risking the hassle of an angry PC mob at their door and just do a different type of bar restaurant than tiki.

Have to wonder where this will end, the 60s had the same kind of protests going on and all seamed to be civil unrest.
Then the 70s and 80s came along and that went to the wayside.

I would even take disco over this damn rap that won't go away.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-10 6:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-10 16:20, tikiskip wrote:

I would even take disco over this damn rap that won't go away.

I just got a disco version of "Quiet Village."

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-11 05:18 am   Permalink

Damn there are LOTS of disco versions of Quiet Village!

Ritchie Family - Quiet Village
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEmnHq5BF-k

Lalo Schifrin - Quiet Village 1976 (long version no intro)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nBMUuSxOWk

BOOGIE & COVER BANDS: “Quiet Village” by Salsa ‘78 Orchestra (1977)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqBfkHEAhj4

El Coco - Quiet Village
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeUn4OoEG1A

"You sexy thing, you turn me on
Keep rockin' steady all night lo-ong
You sexy thing, you turn me on
Gimme, gimme what I want
Gimme, gimme what you got
Gimme, gimme what I want
Gimme, gimme what you got
Do-do-do-do, do-do, do-do-doo
You sexy thing, you turn me on"

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-11 1:45 pm   Permalink

Skip, Don't tell me you were in the cover band "Quiet Village People"

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-11 1:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-11 13:45, Or Got Rum? wrote:

Oh my, I'm trying desperately to figure out how to double- or triple-like this! hahahaha!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-11 3:24 pm   Permalink

Well I do tend to get kinda loud when I drink not on purpose though.
So that rules out quite.
AND I'm too big for spandex so that rules out the Village People part.

I think my hearing is shot from working in Large power plants and boiler rooms at OSU.

Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-13 10:56 am   Permalink

I too do get a little animated when I drink and I sing (harkens me back to the day I sang w/ a bunch of hippies in a band...they were older...fun!) but always in the spirit of a good time...my wife calls me "Fun Bobby"....my names not Robert.

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2017-07-13 12:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

That may be Skip disguised as a Marshall amp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfPV0S3KJc

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-13 12:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-13 12:26, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

That may be Skip disguised as a Marshall amp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfPV0S3KJc

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-13 12:58 pm   Permalink

Ha! I rove it.

Would go see that band!

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-20 06:25 am   Permalink

So it looks like that guy removed the buck-toothed sunglasses -wearing tikis and reopened as a Tiki bar after all. I think this is a win for everyone. Goonie party city tikis are the true evil and they must be abolished.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation