FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Joe vs the Volcano Inspired Hula Lamp - UPDATED!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Joe vs the Volcano Inspired Hula Lamp - UPDATED!
absolute60
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-06-02 06:17 am   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

View Profile of absolute60 Send a personal message to absolute60  Email absolute60     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bobtiki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-06 08:45 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting that! Great looking prop replica, and good to know about the custom lampshade possibilities.
Kilauea Cove

View Profile of bobtiki Send a personal message to bobtiki  Email bobtiki Goto the website of bobtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-30 7:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks to Absolute60's inspiration (and all those handy links) I crafted my own interpretation of the Joe vs. the Volcano hula lamp as a Christmas gift to The Wife. That's her favorite movie of all time. She liked the gift. I never could've done it without all the hard work folks like Absolute60 and Jintosh put into this on their own.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-30 9:04 pm   Permalink

Prikli Pear you are a wonderful and thoughtful husband. Nicely done. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
absolute60
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-02-06 6:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-12-30 19:56, Prikli Pear wrote:
Thanks to Absolute60's inspiration (and all those handy links) I crafted my own interpretation of the Joe vs. the Volcano hula lamp as a Christmas gift to The Wife. That's her favorite movie of all time. She liked the gift. I never could've done it without all the hard work folks like Absolute60 and Jintosh put into this on their own.

ha! This is fantastic! Glad I could provide some help. Thanks so much for sharing!

View Profile of absolute60 Send a personal message to absolute60  Email absolute60     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
absolute60
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-02-06 6:16 pm   Permalink

I made another lamp, but with a few more bells and whistles. This one plays music (has a speaker built into the LED bulb) and a bulb that creates a shimmer effect inside of the shade. I had to do a lot more custom work on this one, but this one does everything I had wanted to do in my original build.

Here's some video of it in action!

https://youtu.be/Iq_MyXGOZUY

Thanks again guys

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-06 7:31 pm   Permalink

Awesome
Music, lights, Moai, hula girl
Can’t beat that

Cheers

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-02-06 11:26 pm   Permalink

This is a great how-to thread. Thanks for the video.

I was just wondering whether those speaker lightbulbs would be an effective way to add ambiance to a tiki space. Maybe not music but bird sounds, rainfall, etc. What’s your overall impression of the speaker bulb?

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
absolute60
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-02-07 3:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-06 23:26, Hamo wrote:
This is a great how-to thread. Thanks for the video.

I was just wondering whether those speaker lightbulbs would be an effective way to add ambiance to a tiki space. Maybe not music but bird sounds, rainfall, etc. What’s your overall impression of the speaker bulb?

I actually think the bulb would be perfect for that purpose.

The sound carries well from inside of the lampshade at low levels, and exotica music sounded great from it. While I was making the lamp, I had envisioned how nice it would be if it were placed on an unassuming coffee table, playing exotica in the background while the soft colored lights changed from the bulb - would be perfect for get-togethers if that were your theme.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation