FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Lono on Hollywood Blvd.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Lono on Hollywood Blvd.
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-06-01 2:47 pm   Permalink

Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet:

The Tiki Gods Align at Lono, Hollywood’s Latest Drinking Den

It certainly is stylish, and I like the aesthetic, but calling it a tiki bar is a stretch. Looks more "tropical/colonial" to me--not quote the "Adventurer's Club" aesthetic, but not far off.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CosmoReverb
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-06-03 6:45 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I appreciate wanting to try something new, but I'm not entirely sure that "Colonial Governor's Mansion" is really the kind of aesthetic we want to be celebrating as a "tiki" subgenre. (points to Swanky's "kitsch problem" thread.)

I'll reserve judgement until I sample their drink menu though.

View Profile of CosmoReverb Send a personal message to CosmoReverb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-06-03 8:38 pm   Permalink

Interesting that you bring up Swanky's interesting thread. The one thing this place has going for it is that it's fairly safe from accusations of appropriation. Subjugation and oppression, amusingly enough, might be a different story, although I suspect that might be a deeper dive into history than most folks are willing to invest the effort into.

It's an odd choice for an aesthetic. I could see this as a resort or hotel bar, easily, but a stand-alone venture? Their drinks better be stellar.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SharonKurheg

Posted: 2017-06-04 2:59 pm   Permalink

Wish it was open during our last trip to L.A., Sept. 2016. We even stayed on Hollywood Blvd! "Proper" tiki or not, I SO would have gone...

Sharon
Central FL

View Profile of SharonKurheg Send a personal message to SharonKurheg  Goto the website of SharonKurheg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-04 3:53 pm   Permalink

Saw this on FaceBook, it looks nice but not Tiki. I do love the wallpaper.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
c-monkey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-06-08 09:40 am   Permalink

The aesthetic I can appreciate, even if I can't give it a full-throated endorsement. What I'm more worried about is the crowd. It's being billed on some LA dining websites as a "hot" new thing, which means good luck getting anywhere near the door for at least the first few months. I live in Long Beach and have a 5-year-old, so a date night there would be a pretty serious investment for me ... especially if the big payoff is spending an evening waiting to get in (a problem I had recently at Clifton's Pacific Seas). That said, another article mentioned their policy of "dress to the nines, skip the lines." Maybe if I wear my finest aloha shirt? Ha!

View Profile of c-monkey Send a personal message to c-monkey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-06-09 10:43 am   Permalink

There isn't a Tiki in there.

Looks more like a 1970's designer trying for a nautical theme, which is pretty cool.

I'm going. Hoist the mains'l, screw the lines.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-16 11:18 am   Permalink

I haven't checked it out yet but a few people I trust say that the drinks are good.

I worry it might get more "clubby" as time goes on as well.

Definitely not a tiki bar, only thing tiki about it is the name.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nimin

Posted: 2017-06-17 4:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-06-08 09:40, c-monkey wrote:
The aesthetic I can appreciate, even if I can't give it a full-throated endorsement. What I'm more worried about is the crowd. It's being billed on some LA dining websites as a "hot" new thing, which means good luck getting anywhere near the door for at least the first few months. I live in Long Beach and have a 5-year-old, so a date night there would be a pretty serious investment for me ... especially if the big payoff is spending an evening waiting to get in (a problem I had recently at Clifton's Pacific Seas). That said, another article mentioned their policy of "dress to the nines, skip the lines." Maybe if I wear my finest aloha shirt? Ha!

Hey c-monkey, just wanted to add my two cents as the operator of LONO. Just letting you know we're not crushed with lines at the door quite yet as we're trying to take a quieter approach and appeal to the neighborhood crowd, just like our other two bars Melrose Umbrella Co and Corner Door. We're not quite a Tiki bar, just a bar that really loves the culture and the drinks. Come on by and check us out. If you can get away for the evening and visit us up here, send me a message and I'll make sure we save space for you. There's a Pearl Diver waiting for you here with your name on it! My email is
joseph@umbrellahospitalitygroup.com, just let me know when you are headed our way. See you soon!

View Profile of nimin Send a personal message to nimin  Email nimin Goto the website of nimin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
c-monkey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-06-19 7:44 pm   Permalink

Nimin, thanks for the hospitality!  I appreciate your spirit of aloha.  We'll definitely be paying you guys a visit, hopefully very soon.  I've been reading all good things about Lono so far!

View Profile of c-monkey Send a personal message to c-monkey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-20 11:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-06-08 09:40, c-monkey wrote:
I live in Long Beach and have a 5-year-old, so a date night there would be a pretty serious investment for me ... especially if the big payoff is spending an evening waiting to get in (a problem I had recently at Clifton's Pacific Seas). That said, another article mentioned their policy of "dress to the nines, skip the lines." Maybe if I wear my finest aloha shirt? Ha!

Haven't had that problem at Cliftons. I did have a dress code problem there, came from a concert and was not let in. I asked what I was wearing that is not passable and the bouncer just looked me up and down. Another time I got to Cliftons right at 6 when the upstairs opened, but the bouncer at the door said that the whole place was closed for a private party on a Saturday night with no notifications on social media or websites. The LAST time I went we finally made it to the tiki bar. My brother and I both ordered drinks for $14. I was charged $16 and he was charged $15. The only thing I can gather from that is that the bartenders are stealing from the customers. Watch your wallets (not to mention the drinks and food suck).

Cliftons is just not worth going to when there are so many other great bars within a couple blocks of that area. Coles, Clacson, Las Parlas, Seven Grand, Perch, Ace Hotel... Just to name a few.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CosmoReverb
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-06-20 12:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-06-20 11:06, lunavideogames wrote:

Haven't had that problem at Cliftons. I did have a dress code problem there, came from a concert and was not let in. I asked what I was wearing that is not passable and the bouncer just looked me up and down. Another time I got to Cliftons right at 6 when the upstairs opened, but the bouncer at the door said that the whole place was closed for a private party on a Saturday night with no notifications on social media or websites. The LAST time I went we finally made it to the tiki bar. My brother and I both ordered drinks for $14. I was charged $16 and he was charged $15. The only thing I can gather from that is that the bartenders are stealing from the customers. Watch your wallets (not to mention the drinks and food suck).

Cliftons is just not worth going to when there are so many other great bars within a couple blocks of that area. Coles, Clacson, Las Parlas, Seven Grand, Perch, Ace Hotel... Just to name a few.

I sincerely wish that I could say that your experience with Clifton's was atypical.

View Profile of CosmoReverb Send a personal message to CosmoReverb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-06-21 10:03 am   Permalink

I will say, props to the owner of LONO to post here and not be on the attack. While I also don't consider it remotely anything near a tiki bar, I'm sure I'd enjoy the drinks. I'm sure its a fine bar, it's certainly well put together, just not tiki. But for the latter reason, probably won't be pushing to visit anytime soon (also, kids.) I appreciate his posting and trying to change our minds.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-06-21 10:32 am   Permalink

Love afternoon drinking, noticed Lono opens at 4pm, looking forward to checking it out, I actually enjoy going to Hollywood blvd and walking around looking at all the old buildings still standing. Have heard only positive comments regarding the drinks. Will post pictures when I do.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-21 1:28 pm   Permalink

Anyone who embraces tiki and the culture, and gives it a serious nod by serving truly good tropical drinks, is helping us all out by being part of the community at large. I wrestled with this (just a tiny bit) when my fave bar started doing Tiki Tuesdays. They did an awesome job with the drinks despite not being "tiki" in any way, shape, or form. Had the drinks been bad though, I would have definitely felt differently. So if Lono "gets it" drink-wise and they don't hang tiki stuff on their walls, then I'm fine with it because they're sharing the tiki love and honoring the work of the Founders - Don and Vic. Cheers!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation