FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Bahi hut NO LONGER being ruined with clown tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Bahi hut NO LONGER being ruined with clown tikis
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-31 4:44 pm   Permalink

I met with Jim, the owner. He is on board and named me "curator", with the condition that the clown tikis be used elsewhere. I suggested by the hotel's pool but he thought they were too garish for even that. He said the may end up on ebay. I am working up a modest proposal to correctly populate the Hut with some tikis again and bring back some of the former lore.

I hope this is the end of the nonsense and a beginning of the path to enlightenment. It will all be for naught if there is not more of "us" in there giving our feedback.

If you are on the west coast of FL and value authentic tiki, get your ass in there and tell them.

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-31 6:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-31 16:44, robotiki wrote:
...It will all be for naught if there is not more of "us" in there giving our feedback.

Weeeelllll, you're right. And he does have some $$$ invested in the clowns. But the owner has to make some good hiring and management decisions too. After all, it's his business to run into the ground. An absentee owner could be a risky situation no matter how much we love the place. TC'ers alone may not be the answer. Fingers crossed...

But now I have another question: What are a couple of "Las Vegas experienced" guys (or is it 1 guy?) doing at the Hut? Couldn't get jobs in a larger venue than the Hut? Did something happen to them in Vegas, so they moved all the way across the country to upgrade jobs and work at the Bahi Hut? Hmmmmmm... Just curious, not sayin' that anything is wrong, but it is interesting, especially because there is a Hard Rock not too far away where a couple of guys from Las Vegas might feel right at home. This could be their first "management" experience though. That would explain it for me. But - hey - this is great bar conversation for those who go and visit the place and have some drinks and ask them directly, right?

Ok, I'll keep quiet now, lol... Nice job, robotiki!! Let us know when they start stapling coconut bras to the ceiling, and I'll arrange an outing with the missus, hahaha... (Guessing coconut bras would be tiki, right??)

[ This Message was edited by: AceExplorer 2017-07-31 18:04 ]

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-31 6:34 pm   Permalink

Well good job, hope it works.
Sorry to be so snarky but I have done what you are doing before, well the place was not as bad.
And I owned a restaurant that people would come in every day and say... "You know what you should do?"
When my mom had the place she would say.."Buy the damn place and do what you want with it"

But I put in lots of free work, ok I may have got a free drink or two, and even gave them free lights.
Then the place goes out and I could not even get my free stuff back, Heck they made a lot of money selling my stuff.

Oh well, I do like those guys so it's not that big a deal.
And they did give me stuff as well.

If you have a bar business and you are not there, this is not good, they will give the place away.

It says right on the Dollar bill "In god we trust" unless God is your partner you can't trust em.

The owner needs to put a camera to see the bar and cash register that way he could count the drinks and see if they are rung up.

I bet that Cody guy almost never pays for a drink.
Find out what Cody drinks I bet that booze fly's out the door with few rung up.

It's easy to see who gets the free drinks as they are there every day, they are not people that have cash really, and the bartender loves this customer and that customer loves the bartender.

The bartender gives drinks for free and the person getting the free drinks tip a bit more heavy, it's a win, win, lose deal with the bar owner being the loser.

I know a lot of bar owners, and have gone to a few bars in my day as well.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-03 06:13 am   Permalink

I have been to the Bahi Hut several times and loved it. I am concerned about this new management as we all are. They need to fix the broken wall in the ladies room (which was clean thank goodness) and stop wasting their effort on clown crap! And the "riff raff" they say they got rid of, those people were nice to me and made by visits awesome. Everyone in there was friendly when I was there. Plus the drinks were strong-- woohoo!

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scottxwl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-08-03 08:48 am   Permalink

I've only been to Bahi once, last year. Had the *worst* drink I've ever had. I feel like they should have clown tikis outside to warn people away from this place.

Then again, maybe it was just a bad night. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

View Profile of scottxwl Send a personal message to scottxwl  Email scottxwl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-03 09:49 am   Permalink

"Plus the drinks were strong"

See that's bad, That is a sign the bartenders are giving the place away.
You can decorate and have the coolest tiki bar around but if the place does not make money it won't last.

Plus a strong drink is not always a good drink.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-03 10:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-03 09:49, tikiskip wrote:

You can decorate and have the coolest tiki bar around but if the place does not make money it won't last.

So True Skip. I've employed and observed 100's of Bartenders. I would say to my Wife "He's a pro". She would say that's good, correct? I would say NO, he/she knows how to play the system. Restaurant Pro Tip=If your bartender drawer is over and not short you are screwed...they have forgotten how many drinks they gave away and pocketed the $ w/o ringing them up. I unfortunately had to bring in spotters on my high volume operations. It sucks, but YOU are in business to make $. The profit margin is a very fine line. I have found it is BEST to be out front and ALWAYS visible to your employees. Setting expectations to the employees up front is only fair, while following through w/ consistency is KEY.

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-03 11:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-03 09:49, tikiskip wrote:

Their schtick has always been strong drinks. What they call a mai tai is more akin to the Jet Pilot at the Molokai. But is is a local tradition and rite of passage for over 50 years

Robotiki

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rum on the rideau
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-08-03 11:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-03 08:48, scottxwl wrote:
I've only been to Bahi once, last year. Had the *worst* drink I've ever had. I feel like they should have clown tikis outside to warn people away from this place.

Then again, maybe it was just a bad night. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

Was it one of these ones?

We too were there last year, in Feb. 2016. Saw and heard no riff-raff. As far as we could tell the 10 or so people there were mostly, if not all regulars who were there because smoking is allowed. We were the only ones having cocktails. While the place was indeed very tiki inside, I found all the drinks essentially tasted the same, only the colours were different. The "Mai-Tai" was very strong and as just noted above not the usual Mai-Tai.

Robotiki I wish you well in your endeavor. I hope you can help this little tiki oasis thrive as a destination place along that stretch of disappearing motels

...I should add that we did have a great time that evening, talking with the locals, checking out the place and stayed until closing. Then walking the 10 yards to the motel room.

[ This Message was edited by: rum on the rideau 2017-08-03 11:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: rum on the rideau 2017-08-03 12:17 ]

View Profile of rum on the rideau Send a personal message to rum on the rideau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-03 12:22 pm   Permalink

That drink on the right looks like a glass of sour mix.

Hope that's not the Mai Tai.
Heck the other ones pink, so I hope that too is not a Mai Tai.

TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-04 05:50 am   Permalink

Robotiki, thank you for taking the time and effort to save the Bahi Hut! Wishing you great success!! Thank you!

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-04 06:36 am   Permalink

"Wishing you great success!! Thank you!"

I think it's clear that we all do, well maybe not clear, but we do, it looks like an uphill battle right now though.

"I unfortunately had to bring in spotters"

My sister was a spotter for some bars too, she was good at it as she was a bartender at one time and she was also good at ripping me off at my restaurant.
So she knew crooks when she saw them.

"If your bartender drawer is over and not short you are screwed...they have forgotten how many drinks they gave away"
This one guy would take a match and put it in his pocket every time he would take $5.00 bucks at the end of the night he would count the matches and know how much he had stolen.

Another guy would take his booze into the bar, like say one bottle of vodka.
Then he would be selling his booze, even weighing the bottles would not catch that guy.

Pouring heavy drinks is bad on so many levels if you have a guy crash and die well it's legend that you pour heavy and could be sued easy.
People drink less as you get them drunk quickly, this means less tips too. well maybe.

There are people that don't want a heavy pour most of the time these are maybe the better type of people that you want in your business.
Heavy pour brings in heavy drinkers and many times these are not the best clientele.

Heavy pours can bring on the fights.

With heavy pours the bar makes less money.
You need to make money in these places to stay open, some people think these places make a ton of cash and it's many times just not true.

If you own a business you must be there to make sure all is done right, and at least some of the money makes it into your register.

tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-08-04 08:17 am   Permalink

My guess is that the clown tikis are meant to appeal to spring break types, sort of like the clown/cartoon Rastafarian characters that I've seen before.

Anyways, hope they are sincere in considering your input and you can get them on the right track.

[ This Message was edited by: tikitube 2017-08-04 08:18 ]

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scottxwl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-08-04 09:56 am   Permalink

I don't remember, but it was probably the Mai Tai. On further reflection, it was so bad that I think one of the ingredients must've been off. Like, spoiled. But I didn't say anything at the time, I was too in a rush to get the heck out of there.

Quote:

Was it one of these ones?

View Profile of scottxwl Send a personal message to scottxwl  Email scottxwl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-07 09:22 am   Permalink

The latest communique with the owner. Now I am not only helping get the decor on track but also make sure the new roof is done as a restoration as well.

"Yes Scott, there is no way I am going to let the iconic Bahi Hut lose its roots. I am currently struggling with Steve's friend in Ohio about the 3 so called Tikis he created. Will let you know the outcome.
Regarding the roof, please go ahead and get the estimates. I will continue to stall the roofer. I think it will be better if we do it the way you want to do. You know what should be done to retain its original glory. I dont want any amateurs messing it up.
Regarding outside window panels, let me know what will you do and a cost estimate.
Thanks Scott for your continued support and guidance."

Robotiki

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation