FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Bahi hut NO LONGER being ruined with clown tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Bahi hut NO LONGER being ruined with clown tikis
tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-07 12:49 pm   Permalink

Way to go Robotiki! It's so fortunate that you were able to work with the owner on the Bahi Hut. We owe you our gratitude for doing so much to keep this bar a vintage gem in the rough and not letting it turn into a plastic party bar!

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-09 11:01 am   Permalink

I was just informed the guy that bought the clown tikis no longer works there. Since the expenditure was not authorized, the clown tikis won't be staying in Florida. I really didn't want anyone to lose their jobs, but it's all for the greater good. Now there is nothing to stand in our way to do this right.

I am talking now with all the stars of Florida tiki carvers to commission some custom stuff worthy of an intact 1954 gem. I'm sticking with mainly tangora & marquesan styles to stay away from toothy tikis, we have too much of that in FL already.

To stretch my budget, I am taking donations for small stuff. I need 20+ tikis to go above the bar, 10"-24". No tikis with anything on the forehead (suns, turtles, etc) will be used, and they should all be brown, no colored tikis will be used. No big toothed tikis either. Larger Coco Joes stuff is fine as are wooden tourist tikis. Contact me if you would like to have a tiki from your collection be part of the new permanent collection of the Bahi Hut.

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

[ This Message was edited by: robotiki 2017-08-11 07:09 ]

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-10 05:49 am   Permalink

Good job!
It may help to post pictures of the inside of the place so as to
see what may work and or needed plus what the inside looks like now.

Why are you only asking for tiki statues?

Could the place not also need maybe some tapa?
How about lights? I know these maybe be harder as they need to be wired up.
Is the owner open to putting in more tiki lights?
Do they have tiki lights now?

I used to give lights to many of the bars I would go to, kinda stopped as the
people in the bar forget who gave them that light a second after you leave so any publicity or good will one might receive is not going to happen.
I give out at least 4 or 5 lights a year.

What about a mug design, could get a TCer that wants to go down in history as the person that did the mug design for this bar.

maybe people could help by painting or installing stuff with you, or even work to fix lights they have in the bar now.

I did this for Tropical bistro and was going to rebuild an Alibi light before they changed hands.

What about paintings or graphics for menus or even table tents or mock up ads for the internet or news papers, t shirts,There are art types on TC that could help with that.
Website design could be done as well.

Would this be areas that could also be looked into and be needed?

Good luck with your task ahead.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-10 06:24 am   Permalink

Just went to the website and the décor in this place is not so much.

It was hard to find a photo at all really.

Don't know how much they want to do to that place but it could use a lot of help just looking at the photos.

A quick easy cheap fix would be to add table top small lamps or even candles.
This adds a warm glow and or a pop of color with not much effort.

https://www.google.com/search?q=table+top+candles+for+restaurants&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7hICy4czVAhVLRyYKHVVXCcoQ_AUICygC&biw=1229&bih=589&dpr=1.56

https://www.tigerchef.com/winco-clg-3r-red-glass-candle-holder-with-flameless-tealight-1.html?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=103997744362&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4v6Dt-HM1QIVnVcNCh0eIQNTEAQYAiABEgKRwPD_BwE

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-10 07:08 am   Permalink

Skip, your lights are really very good, they rock and would definitely help the Hut.

I can help install lights if needed. I'm not an electrician, but have a lot of experience, so if the need arises I'd drive out (3.5 hours away) for a weekend to help in a work party.

Regardless of the décor, or lack thereof, are we helping them with cocktails? Or is this more of a tiki-and-beer bar? Good cocktails are surprisingly easy to make, you don't have to go broke serving good drinks. But they are essential to attracting and keeping a good solid type of customer. If people knew they could get a great Mai Tai, or a kick-ass Zombie, then the place could increase traffic and customer loyalty.

While I'm at it, how about the music they play? Good, bad, or just "meh?"

So many opportunities exist for a bar owner to improve or support their concept and theme.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-10 07:58 am   Permalink

Robotiki,

is there a plan on restoring the outside sign and making the torches light again as well? for what was going to be spent on the clown tikis, you probably could have had that sign repaired and restored

[ This Message was edited by: stevekh 2017-08-10 08:01 ]

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-10 08:24 am   Permalink

The decor is sparse, and we will be working on that. It is more of a MCM style place than some other tiki establishments, so has by definition of what constituted a more "modern" style, was always more sparse than some of the other places that had layers upon layers of stuff. The goal and challenge will be to stay true to the modern style while adding enough tikis and such to satisfy our appetite.

So to answer the questions. I am starting with tikis (and any good masks I can get, would like to get one of Leroy's from OA, or two) because that is low hanging fruit and can displace some of the African stuff that bartenders have dragged in over the years. As far as donations, I am wide open to all. As far as purchasing, I am hoping to get a sampling of all the best names in FL and indeed the world (Just spoke with Mookie Sato about doing a velvet painting). So job one is the decor.

Then I want to tackle the drinks. The problem being is their mai tai is famous to them but is not really a mai tai. If folks can get past that name and think that it is more akin to a Jet Pilot, then you can enjoy it for what it is--almost pure alcohol. That being said, after I wiggle my ass in there a bit tighter I will push for the addition of a 1944 style mai tai as well, and maybe one or two other traditional tiki drinks. We WILL have mugs. Both limited edition and mass produced. And hoping we can do a volcano bowl drink too, though I'll just buy a commercially available vessel for that.

Then I want to tackle the music. I will try exotica and see if the locals don't revolt. We'll see how that goes.

The more tiki folks that come, the more I can justify taking it in that direction. It's going to be an ongoing process, come and watch the progress.

Robotiki

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-10 08:24 am   Permalink

duplicate post, mods please delete

[ This Message was edited by: robotiki 2017-08-10 10:24 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-10 09:14 am   Permalink

"The goal and challenge will be to stay true to the modern style while adding enough tikis and such to satisfy our appetite."

From the pics I saw the décor is like the décor at my parents and many small diners and bars from long ago and that is "damn let get this place up and running" by the time they got to décor they were too tired to get that part done.

And that is fine for me really but in this day and age people want more than that in most cases.

The place looks as sparse on modern style as it does on tiki style.
But then it's hard to dress up that brown fake wood grain Formica.
If you want modern style tiki then that is Bosko for sure.

Sounds like they want to turn the place around for more business I can only guess.
And that means changes of one type or another.

I just have not seen a place that is "tiki lite" really work as of late.

robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-10 09:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-10 09:14, tikiskip wrote:
"The goal and challenge will be to stay true to the modern style while adding enough tikis and such to satisfy our appetite."

From the pics I saw the décor is like the décor at my parents and many small diners and bars from long ago and that is "damn let get this place up and running" by the time they got to décor they were too tired to get that part done.

I am not sure you are accurate on that. The Mid Century Modern movement in this area actually has a name all it's own as it evolved into something regional. It is called the Sarasota School of Architecture. And it was defined by clean, sparse design, modern style with native materials used as much as possible. That is not fake wood. That is pecky cypress. Very expensive to replace, thanks goodness it's all fine, though coated with decades of nicotene. The ceilings are tongue & groove cypress. With the exception of the bar top itself, it's all 100% natural materials, and all intact.

This won't be tiki lite, as you call it, it just won't be crammed every square inch with stuff for the sake of tonnage. It will be tiki well curated, and being a former museum curator, I'm confident I can make it work.

Robotiki

[ This Message was edited by: robotiki 2017-08-10 10:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: robotiki 2017-08-10 10:29 ]

robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-10 10:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-10 07:58, stevekh wrote:
Robotiki,

is there a plan on restoring the outside sign and making the torches light again as well? for what was going to be spent on the clown tikis, you probably could have had that sign repaired and restored

[ This Message was edited by: stevekh 2017-08-10 08:01 ]

The clown tikis were returned so I am happy NO money was spent on them. And yes, I want to get the gas torches restored. It's high on the list.

Robotiki

Piddersthecat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-08-10 10:14 am   Permalink

Just remember all of the before and after pictures!

View Profile of Piddersthecat Send a personal message to Piddersthecat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-10 6:59 pm   Permalink

"That is pecky cypress"

well that's a good base, Natural materials work well in tiki décor.

robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-11 04:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-10 18:59, tikiskip wrote:
"That is pecky cypress"

Glad you approve, I was worried.

Robotiki

[ This Message was edited by: robotiki 2017-08-11 07:08 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-11 08:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-11 04:43, robotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-08-10 18:59, tikiskip wrote:
"That is pecky cypress"

Glad you approve, I was worried.

[ This Message was edited by: robotiki 2017-08-11 07:08 ]

Ha!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation