FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Bahi hut NO LONGER being ruined with clown tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Bahi hut NO LONGER being ruined with clown tikis
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-17 10:31 am   Permalink

Latest communique on the Bahi Hut. Phase 1 project list. In addition I'm getting quotes to relight the gas torches on the sign.
"Scott, it was good speaking with you last night. Following is a synopsis of what we discussed:
1) Small stuff inside the bar: repair light shades; repair chairs, place small tikis or other appropriate items as donated or purchased.
2) Repair Fibre Glass Windows near the entrance
3) Get estimates/timing of new roof
4) Get prices and pictures of 8 ft Tikis to be installed in front by entrance
5) Get estimate of creating a fenced-in area north side of bar facing hotel. Area to be either wooden deck or concrete patio, some lighting, landscaping, tikis, etc. Sliding doors from the bar"

This is just a cosmetic start. I'd like to introduce some authentic drinks to the menu as well.

BTW, the are looking for a new manager/bartender. Must have experience in a tiki bar and pass background checks. Who wants to live in tropical Sarasota and work in a 1954 tiki bar? Contact me with resume if interested.

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-17 8:13 pm   Permalink

Seeing the change in the thread title is great news!!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-20 07:35 am   Permalink

Been awhile since I have been here on TC so... Aloha !

First off, Huzzah RoboTiki !

RoboTiki / Scott's preservation and restoration efforts at the Bahi Hut have been monumental and his hours of time and sweat equity have earned him my respect and admiration !

He called... We came !

A few of us locals have answered the call and plan to step up and assist Scott where we can with these efforts. We met last week and formed an unofficial steering committee that will meet on a regular basis to further the cause and endeavor to bring more Tiki Revolutionists into the fold.

I look forward to this adventure and hope that the TC community will continue to help us support Scott with constructive input here and on Social Media.
Oh, and on that note... Thank You !
I believe your input on Facebook helped us avoid that DayGlo nightmare!

Please come and visit soon if you can. We will be taking a lot of BEFORE photo's and video but you will want to experience the full transition.

Come and see it now... before The Metamorphosis!
Let us know you are coming and we will try and have a local ambassador there to share some ALOHA !

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-23 11:57 am   Permalink

This is so great to see. Thank you Robotiki for taking this on, and to Bohemiann & the other locals for getting involved and supporting it. It's so nice to see something positive for a change.

I just came across this article - congrats on getting some good recognition for your efforts!

http://www.yourobserver.com/article/bahi-hut-sarasota-tiki-tradition

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Piddersthecat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-08-23 12:29 pm   Permalink

Congrats on the positive article!!

And good luck on the continued restoration

View Profile of Piddersthecat Send a personal message to Piddersthecat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-23 4:59 pm   Permalink

I love that the Bahi Hut has basically become this TC group project. I hope I'll get the chance to visit it some day!

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-24 08:10 am   Permalink

That was a very good article. It's great that your efforts are building a buzz. I look forward to seeing a follow-up piece once the restoration is completed.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-24 3:38 pm   Permalink

The paper version of the Bahi Hut story came out with a nice quote by Sven as a callout. Almost 3 full pages!

Robotiki

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-25 06:45 am   Permalink

Very good! And if things continue to move in the direction we have been reading about, then the Bahi Hut can find itself positioned as the newest (but still old) tiki hot spot in the US. And that's a meteoric rise from where it was just a few months ago.

So clown tiki, in this case, helped a place in a positive and very surprising way. I will make a trip down there soon cuz I'm in Orlando fairly often. The extra drive is only an hour or so.

THIS IS GREAT NEWS for Tampa area tiki!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-08-27 6:38 pm   Permalink

Evening RoboTiki!
I sent you a private message on here!

Thanks,

View Profile of DixonAlibi Send a personal message to DixonAlibi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-07 05:37 am   Permalink

Robotiki thank you for all of your hard work!!

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-07 05:48 am   Permalink

here is a link to that good newspaper article on the restoration/saving of this great bar:

http://www.yourobserver.com/article/bahi-hut-sarasota-tiki-tradition

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-13 08:20 am   Permalink

Any update on how the Bahi Hut fared during Irma?

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-27 11:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-09-13 08:20, Prikli Pear wrote:
Any update on how the Bahi Hut fared during Irma?

It did fine. The roof is shot anyway so it could not do much damage there. Working this week on lining up carpenters to do the roof as a restoration period style.

Robotiki

robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-02 07:51 am   Permalink

Latest progress;
I've hired a carpenter to rebuild the front overhang and replace rotten wood before the new roof. It will be built back to 1954 specs with cypress tongue and groove replacing the later plywood patches. Period recessed can lights will replace the later added bathroom closet looking lights up there now.

I'm working on getting twin 8' tikis made for the entrance in a Marquesan style.

And I have found a surfboard repair guy that is going to take a stab at restoring the fiberglass panels either side of the door. The other option would be to replicate them but I'd like to try and save the original panels and will exhaust all other efforts before replacing them.

More tiki folks patronizing this place would do wonders. Come check it out!

Robotiki

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation