FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Bahi hut NO LONGER being ruined with clown tikis
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Bahi hut NO LONGER being ruined with clown tikis
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-26 08:07 am   Permalink

Calling all able bodied folks. The Bahi Hut, a totally intact, if a little shabby, 1954 tiki bar is Sarasota is under new management. They said they are redoing it and mentioned that they want to do it right. I was feeling pretty good about it until they posted the photo of their new decor on facebook last night. This is real, it's not a joke. It's Party City tikis from hell. If you are on facebook, please, please, please go to the Bahi Hut's page and tell them this is NOT cool. I am sure they spent the wad to have this made, so to get them to abandon it is going to take an outcry. Please Outcry now or we lose another authentic place.

https://www.facebook.com/BahiHut/photos/a.1610615992343550.1073741830.511181388953688/1610615965676886/?type=3&hc_location=ufi

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

[ This Message was edited by: robotiki 2017-08-17 10:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: robotiki 2017-11-14 06:50 ]

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-26 09:49 am   Permalink

Kinda reminds me of this guys work...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=45248&forum=18&306

People said he was doing ok, I'm confused?

PS, I don't like either of them.

"But hey keep up the good work, your stuff keeps getting better and better"
"Maybe if you just.....

He died off too.
Must be in the Genes.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-26 11:35 am   Permalink

UUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

My folks bought a winter place in Treasure Island Beach a few years ago, and on our last visit we wanted to visit the Bahi Hut very badly... the weather was terrible, so we didn't make the trip. My folks went after we left and told us what a great little weird time capsule the place was.

We were very excited to go back this winter on our next visit.

Obviously, we can scratch that from the itinerary if this is the kinda garish crap the new owners think is going to work.

I am reminded of the colorful monstrosities that now reside out of the hallowed bamboo halls of our beloved Hala Kahiki... thankfully the inside is still much as it always has been (the addition of gambling machines as you walk in is unfortunate, but they did it in such a way it's not TOO distracting or overwhelming) but looking at these two grinning clown Tikis as you walk in now makes me cringe every time...

Fortunately, the current owner at Hala Kahiki grew up in the place (his grandparents were the original owners) so he definitely understands what a special thing they have there. Why the clown Tikis, I don't know. I suspect it was a case of "Oh, my nephew is an artist and wants to make something for the bar" kind of a thing. I don't like to shit on anybody's work, but these things are so terribly out of place.

I hope the Bahi Hut doesn't circle the cartoon Tiki toilet... good God that thing is horrible.

If the place is going to be gutted and covered in spring break Party City crap, they may as well tear it down now and get it over with. There's so little vintage Tiki left in FL outside of the Mai Kai, this would be tragic....

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-26 7:47 pm   Permalink

the sad thing is that those look to be sandblasted cedar or high density urethane with a woodgrain screen - a sign that size is not cheap - probably $1,000 - $1,500 in foam - a little more if good quality cedar - i used to do these quite a bit - upside is, if they're wood, she could strip the paint and do the torch technique on them, although it wouldn't get rid of the hideous grin

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-26 8:35 pm   Permalink

Photo feedback left, and a private message sent. Then, 3 maidens sacrificed in my backyard volcano - I hope it helps.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-27 2:20 pm   Permalink

It gets worse, here are the other ones.....

Robotiki

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iolani
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-07-28 07:03 am   Permalink

The photos in this thread made me throw up a little in my mouth.

View Profile of Iolani Send a personal message to Iolani      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-28 09:30 am   Permalink

The Bahi Hut is so beyond sanity, I will not even comment. But oh my god, what is going on at the Hala Kahiki !? I just listed it among my five favorite Tiki bars because I felt it is not getting enough recognition!

PLEASE don't have them pull any of those "wood spirit" abominations inside. The exterior of the place has always been kind of simple, but those are gonna repulse people!

Signed,

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2017-07-28 11:29 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-28 12:25 pm   Permalink

You're right on HK, Sven...

It is one of my absolute favorite places we've ever been. When we lived in Chicago, we went once a week, or more, for years. It was one of the first Tiki bars we ever visited a dozen or more years ago, and really set our whole obsession in motion. It's a magic place, and there aren't many of them left.

Many of the changes they've made recently have been highly positive... Most notably, they have a solid rum selection now, for one thing, and have been working hard to improve their cocktails. Tailwinds Distillery in IL has even made them their own Navy-strength rum (which is quite delicious.)

In terms of decor, the interior is pretty much exactly the same as it's always been, except for the aforementioned gambling machines near the entrance now, which caused some re-jiggering in the seating in the bar area. Instead of the old, low cocktail tables & chairs, there are now bar tables to stand at (which help fit in more people.) Aesthetically, I'm not crazy about it personally, but I understand the motivation and the need, and they did consult our own Tipsy McStagger to aid in making the change as unobtrusive as possible (and he did a good job with it, I'll add.)

They've added old newspaper clippings and some history on the place, framed and hanging in the entry way as well, which I thought was a really nice touch. Their menus were updated (they're super modern looking, but at least celebrate the history of the place and forced them to do away with the old 90's clip art jobs they had for years) and the door mats, match books, and some other things celebrate that they've been in the same family and open since 1964.

They also updated the music a bit, which I would put in the negative column personally... I do really miss the old (and I mean OLD) crackly Hawaiian music they would play on an endless loop... there was this kind of ethereal, creepy time warp feel to that aspect. Nut again, I understand the update. And it's tasteful, mostly... some Hawaiian music mixed with the Beach Boys and some exotica and surf tracks. Nothing too jarring.

And then, the tiki mugs. They finally have their own tiki mugs from Tiki Farm. A first since the Orchids of Hawaii ones they had 1960's.

So... mostly all positive changes, fueled by a need for a slight amount more modernity to stay competitive (but done in a way that doesn't ruin everything.)

But ... then those hideous eyesores appeared outside.

They are a mystery.

A hideous, clown-like, eye-hurting mystery.

So long as they don't come inside (and believe me, the Chicago Ohana has made it abundantly clear that ain't nobody cool with them things...) but even outside, you said it... the low-key, humble nature of everything outside and the mystery of what lies within is something that has always contributed to make the place so wonderful. With these two things greeting you on your way in now, I feel like I need to be blindfolded until I'm inside.

Maybe they're a motivation to make people drink more to forget them?

--P

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-28 6:37 pm   Permalink

We went there last night to intervene. They seemed to have good intentions, it's a case of not knowing what they have. Steve, the new manager in charge of the renovations has done a good job cleaning up the gardens and generally making it a little less skanky. But he does not know a tiki from a hole in the ground. He was devasted when we showed him the 80 or so facebook posts all hating them.

ITS"S WORKING--GO TO BAHI HUT FB PAGE AND COMMENT!!!!

Meantime, in a show of goodwill, we took him some wood tikis for the bar.

Robotiki

AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-28 7:05 pm   Permalink

Nice gesture, educating and giving real carvings as gifts. Thumbs up!!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-29 05:26 am   Permalink

This just in from Bahi Hut Facebook page....

Cody Nelson "So the link you refer to is simple.
All this says is someone other than you. Had the opinion on the Bahi Hut. And that showed it was a great place to be.
So now when new management puts up some tiki figures that grabs people's attention and brings them in. They would agree.

Did you realize the White House of the United States has been burnt down. And does not resemble the original. But yet still is iconic. They have destroyed the twin towers in NYC. And yet what they have built there

You said it best."

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-29 05:49 am   Permalink

And this is from Bahi Hut
"Look out it's coming and it's going to be fantastic!!!"
10 hrs

And this...
" the hard core tiki crowd are not an important demographic to pander to. Because they do not pay the bar bills. Just take up space and chase out paying customers. If they were a important demographic more bar owners would want them back. "

So the change will happen.
What I don't get is none of these styles match, day glo just does not work with bamboo and natural wood tones.

Pick one of the color schemes and work with that.
The new bright colors would work for a Hawaii cartoon style Chucky Cheese, not kidding that's what it looks like to me.

I do gotta say the post up top is kinda right, the hard core tiki crowd in most cases don't spend money at the bars I have seen them at.

These places are not there only to be in photographs you want to take of the places, or for the events we throw and get high or drunk out in the parking lot putting no money in the till.

Harsh but true from what I have seen in Ohio.

Let this place go, try to buy any good tiki as the cartoony ones go up.

And for Pete's sake BUY A F-ING DRINK EVERY NOW AND THEN.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-29 06:09 am   Permalink

Skip, your post made me go back and read Cody's post. Then I replied. But since Facebook tends to "hide" replies deeper inside of the main thread, I'm pasting what I wrote.

By the way, when I find a good bar, I go back multiple times when I'm in the area. I did this with Frankie's Tiki Room the last time I landed in Las Vegas, and the I caused my group to almost miss our return flight cuz we were hanging out at Frankie's. I could not do this in a clownish tiki bar - I'd visit, have a couple drinks, then likely not return.

Here's what I replied to Cody:
Couple thoughts, Cody. 1).... Nevermind, aw hell, forget it... You either get it, or you don't. Or you're just trying to increase business volume, which I completely understand. And if your'e doing it by bringing in garish clown tikis, then I wish you good luck cuz you'll need it. You see all around us that we have Florida Tiki which is the style of painted carvings and graphics, but mostly NOT tiki. Also all around us in Florida we have Jimmy Buffett island bars which are tropical and islandish, but not really tiki either. So if by being one of those Florida tiki bars you're going to increase traffic to your bar, I get it. But you have an opportunity to remain in the groove of the rare - the true tiki - and then figure out other things to draw people into your place. Of course, the clown tiki route will become your legacy, your team will be known as causing another abandonment of something truly cool and meaningful, in favor of the garish. My question is - can you do it without the Party City garishness and all the clown stuff? I wish you would. But on the other hand, if it's only about money and business volume, you could remodel as a sports bar like others have done when in search of more coin. Personally, I think you'll survive no matter what you do in this case. But you'll gain only negative "style points" for your efforts. And I have no clue how it will (or will not) improve your bottom line. Personally, I will tell you that a dive tiki or tropical bar is better than one with clown tiki installed. But that's just my opinion. And I spend a fair amount of money in dining and drinking establishments. But that's just me, alone, and my friends.... Again, good luck. I will always hope the Bahi Hut will make a return to something cool instead of something garish and clownish geared to make more money."

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2017-07-29 12:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-29 05:49, tikiskip wrote:
And this is from Bahi Hut
"Look out it's coming and it's going to be fantastic!!!"
10 hrs

And this...
" the hard core tiki crowd are not an important demographic to pander to. Because they do not pay the bar bills. Just take up space and chase out paying customers. If they were a important demographic more bar owners would want them back. "

Weird. Who exactly are they trying to pander to? If anything is going to "take up space and chase out paying customers", it's going to be those giant clown masks. They seem to be repulsive to just about anybody, no matter what they know about Tiki.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2017-07-29 12:38 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation