FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Bahi hut NO LONGER being ruined with clown tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Bahi hut NO LONGER being ruined with clown tikis
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-30 08:18 am   Permalink

I guess you learn something new every day... Tiki always struck me as one of the more expensive hobbies to be in to, where the experience of the food and drinks and souvenir mugs was kind of a big deal. Didn't know there was a reputation of cheapness there, or is this yet another case of sour grapes on the part of a bar owner because they made poor choices that alienated a key demographic?

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-30 10:55 am   Permalink

Regarding the facebook posts...I think the guy Cody does not work there but a friend of the new manager, Cheeze (Steve)

Steve is a nice guy and is really trying, he just comes from a Vegas style bar background with all the tossing of glasses and flipping of bottles, and no knowledge that there even is such a thing as the tiki scene. He cleaned the place up a lot but stylistically seems to not have the eye to be able discern the difference between the clown tikis and the stuff we consider true.

That being said, I reached out directly to the owner of the property. I did a small tiki event there years ago and he remembered me. He said he valued my input and he agreed to stop on all work and invited me to come talk with him about what he should do.

I'd like to show him my opinion is not merely mine. Anybody in the Tampa bay area available to come with me on a mission of education and good will?

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-30 11:15 am   Permalink

robotiki, great gesture to meet with and help the owner talk it through. I'm 3.5 hours drive away, so hoping you get some good help from the local Tampa Bay ohana.

Btw, I attended your killer Room Crawl Odyssey at the Hukilau in 2010, and I bought one of those cool robot patches. I had never before seen such a cool patch with gold thread and stuff.

Back to tiki bars taking steps backwards --- I'm expecting other bars may come to do the same, and I hope us tiki folks will again come together to work with owners. We are in a good position to raise awareness and provide guidance so long as we do it out of sincere friendship and with respect. I'm hoping the Bahi Hut remodel becomes a success story for all of us. I will go visit in the near future when I hear they've settled on a long-term course which is in line with the "tiki" we all know and love.

Cheers!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-31 08:50 am   Permalink

I spoke with the owner and he truly wants the place to stay authentic, and said he was not on board with what his new manager is doing, and vowed to stop anything unsympathetic. I'll meet with him this afternoon. Here's hoping this one will be a success story.

That being said, If I can get them back on track, I think it behooves the tiki community to show some support. Mention to the bartender you are there to see the intact Bahi Hut. I will try to get some more VINTAGE tikis (sorry but Florida has enough chicklet toothed shit with turtles on their foreheads)

Better yet, when you visit, bring them a small tiki from your collection. They will go up on the ledge that circles the bar. But do visit.

Robotiki

[ This Message was edited by: robotiki 2017-07-31 10:09 ]

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-31 09:37 am   Permalink

Sounds great, robotiki, those are awesome efforts.

Has anyone reached out to Jeff Chouinard? He's a carver that lives in Tampa, and who I remember has in the past frequented the Bahi Hut. Jeff might have some stuff laying around for which we could contribute some bucks AND have him carve "Tiki Central" into the base or something like that. Then he cold deliver AND enjoy a couple good drinks on us.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-31 09:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-31 09:37, AceExplorer wrote:

Has anyone reached out to Jeff Chouinard? He's a carver that lives in Tampa, and who I remember has in the past frequented the Bahi Hut. Jeff might have some stuff laying around for which we could contribute some bucks AND have him carve "Tiki Central" into the base or something like that. Then he cold deliver AND enjoy a couple good drinks on us.

i would be down to donate for that

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-31 09:54 am   Permalink

this was my comment on the facebook post:

"all i would comment is:

1) slamming Scott for his opinion is not really valid Cody, the original post says "What do you think Scott Spear" - obviously they value his input, or they wouldn't ask. it may not be what they wanted to hear, but don't ask if they don't truly want to know.

2) unless you represent ownership or management,you probably shouldn't speak for them - you're actually doing more harm for them than good - i can't imagine they would want a regular customer who had been going since 1978 to "stay away". if they truly feel that way, then the clown tikis aren't the real problem, and the bar probably won't survive."

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-31 10:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-31 09:37, AceExplorer wrote:

I was FB messaging with Jeff just before I posted all this. He is totally on board.

Robotiki

robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-31 10:10 am   Permalink

Keep up with the FB posts BTW, they are working

CosmoReverb
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-07-31 10:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-07-29 12:35, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-07-29 05:49, tikiskip wrote:
And this is from Bahi Hut
"Look out it's coming and it's going to be fantastic!!!"
10 hrs

And this...
" the hard core tiki crowd are not an important demographic to pander to. Because they do not pay the bar bills. Just take up space and chase out paying customers. If they were a important demographic more bar owners would want them back. "

Weird. Who exactly are they trying to pander to? If anything is going to "take up space and chase out paying customers", it's going to be those giant clown masks. They seem to be repulsive to just about anybody, no matter what they know about Tiki.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2017-07-29 12:38 ]

Yeah, this ^^^ is what I don't understand. I "get" the impression, from a business perspective, to not pandering to the hardcore tiki crowd, especially if there is a perception that they are niche and frugal. I don't *agree* with it, but I "get" it.

But then...

a) Exactly who the hell is a clown tiki themed place trying to appeal to? Is the average bar-goer truly more attracted to a day-glo parody of a tiki than an authentically styled one? Seems to be shooting yourself in the foot to try to cash in on the "tiki craze" and miss your mark so far as to be a mockery of what you are trying to cash in on. Again, are Jane and Joe Normal really that much more attracted to clown tikis than they are something more authentic? I highly doubt it. You can't convince me that clown tikis provide more appeal to the mainstream than the novelty of getting an authentic experience. I completely understand starting out by trying for authenticity and then making concessions with the music and drink selections, I see that in *tons* of places, but I simply don't get coming from the other direction and thinking that works in the long term.

b)Why open a tiki bar in the first place? There are plenty of other themes for an establishment that has a much wider mass appeal and are much more stable business models. Why invest on gambling on a trend that might be on the rise at the moment but fade back into the realm of the niche in a few months if you aren't committed to hopefully building a legacy within that movement. Just want to cash in on it? Then make a decent mainstream bar and have "Tiki Thursdays" or whatever like everybody else does. I got no problem with some local pub n' suds busting out the clown tikis for that, I won't go there, but I won't expect a bigger, better commitment from them either. For a place hoping to style itself as a complete and authentic tiki experience, especially one with an existing legacy? It's just a bad business model plain and simple.

View Profile of CosmoReverb Send a personal message to CosmoReverb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-31 10:33 am   Permalink

"Exactly who the hell is a clown tiki themed place trying to appeal to?"
Frat types who like a guy named "cheesy" They might drink a bunch, who knows.

And the "What do you think Scott Spear" came after the first post of the clown tiki, so that question was about clown tiki number 2 right?

So this guy asks what do you think on Facebook, and then knows nothing about the over 80 posts saying the new clown tiki sucks.

Right.

I got money on clown tiki still go up.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-31 10:46 am   Permalink

From Cody....

"New bartenders have cleaned out the riff raff and made it safe and fun to hang out at this iconic tiki bar since the 1950's."

Ha! tiki nuts are the riff raff.

"New Bartenders Cheese and. House are 2 Vegas style bartenders with flair and professionalism."

I wonder what bars they worked at in Vegas?

Gives a new meaning to hold the Cheese, and that ones on the house.
YUuup, Yuuup, what up HoMMie tiki!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-31 11:50 am   Permalink

I'll take your bet tikiskip. My rarest mug against yours. You can pick which one.

Anyway, to be fair, it had gotten pretty spicey in there late at night. The previous wait staff let folks smoke pot in there, hookers came in there, that all seems to have been cleaned up. Cheeze the bartender/manager responsible for the clown tikis did a great job cleaning up the gardens and had reached out to me for opinions on his new tikis, unfortunately the response is not what he wanted.

But he's not the owner. I worked with the owner on a tiki event we did there and when I saw talking to Cheeze(Steve) was going no where, I went over his head to the owner. He is not happy that this new direction is getting bad PR and asked me how to do it right. Going there in an hour so we'll see what happens. Wish me luck.

All this talk has restarted the discussion to hold another event there. My previous event, Jungle Fever, also had a couple Florida roadside attractions involved, including Jungle Gardens and Cars of Yesteryear. We also had the Sarasota Trader Vics as a sponsor, though they are now long gone. If I am successful today, look for the Jungle Fever event to return.

Robotiki

AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-31 12:00 pm   Permalink

Robotiki, I'll come to your event when you get it scheduled. Again, so glad you can educate these folks. I'm not perfect either, have had my share of wild hairs, and benefitted from the input of others. So there is no question later, I will gladly support this place when they finish with whatever they are doing. I know they mean well, not everyone knows real tiki, and surprisingly they certainly didn't seem to have had time to visit Frankie's and other tiki/retro spots in Las Vegas.

Another question here... Does anyone we know actually like the tacky Party City style of tikis? With the exception of little kids, I literally do not know anyone who really likes clown tiki and actually wants to hang around with it.

Good luck robotiki, and I'm looking forward to your report!

TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-31 3:30 pm   Permalink

You know I'll be there to defend the bowling title!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation