FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Frankie's Tiki Room Liquid Vacation recipe book
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Frankie's Tiki Room Liquid Vacation recipe book
Early Landed Larry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-08-04 7:37 pm   Permalink

..Liquid Vacation. Should I get it?

(Edited to assist thread consolidation)

[ This Message was edited by: Early Landed Larry 2017-08-06 13:06 ]

View Profile of Early Landed Larry Send a personal message to Early Landed Larry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-04 7:38 pm   Permalink

Yes, I recommend it.

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-05 03:47 am   Permalink

I wrote about this in the "What are your favorite cocktail recipe books" thread when the book was first published, I got one of the early copies from Amazon.

Yes, good book with superb eye candy photos and creative new recipes.

[ This Message was edited by: AceExplorer 2017-08-06 06:44 ]

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Early Landed Larry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-08-05 05:37 am   Permalink

Oops! Sorry. And thanks!

View Profile of Early Landed Larry Send a personal message to Early Landed Larry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-05 06:43 am   Permalink

No worries! Get the book though - it's great also for showing to friends who are not familiar with cocktails. Chances are good they will find something they "must have," lol.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Early Landed Larry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-08-05 09:34 am   Permalink

Great, I've ordered it! I have smugglers cove and the Berry tiki app which are both great but I want more! So glad I started this hobby.

Is it true that some of the Frankie's drinks have grain alcohol as an ingredient? Sure I saw that on a photo of a menu that suggested that!

Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-05 11:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

Is it true that some of the Frankie's drinks have grain alcohol as an ingredient? Sure I saw that on a photo of a menu that suggested that!

I can't speak to the menu, but the book does not have any recipes calling for it.

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Early Landed Larry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-08-05 11:59 am   Permalink

Shame

Just kidding

AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-05 5:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-05 09:34, Early Landed Larry wrote:

Nope, not when I was there. And I don't recall seeing anything like that in the book, sounds like a rumor.

matt-tiki-teo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-08-05 5:49 pm   Permalink

The recipe for Frankie's Mutiny calls for Everclear which is a grain alcohol.

View Profile of matt-tiki-teo Send a personal message to matt-tiki-teo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-06 06:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-05 17:49, matt-tiki-teo wrote:
The recipe for Frankie's Mutiny calls for Everclear which is a grain alcohol.

Correct, thank you, "Mutiny" on page 94, but with ONLY 1/2 OUNCE. This is expected in a drink which is made with SEVEN ounces of liquid and built over ice and not shaken. The ingredients are mostly "weak" (4 oz of juice and soda, plus 1 oz sweet & sour, then other misc. things) except for the tiny 1/2 ounce of vodka.

I haven't looked through the whole Frankie's book in quite a while (I have a large shelf of cocktail books) but I will again soon now that I have it in front of me. (I have a Frankie's menu, and will also look at that later. Don't recall if the Mutiny is on their menu when I was there last.) If this is their only use of pure grain alcohol ("PGA") then it is a very broad and unfair generalization to criticize Frankie's for using this stuff. From a cocktail perspective, based on my knowledge and experience, this is a very appropriate use of PGA as an octane boost given the relative lack of "oomph" of the other ingredients. You can sub the PGA with more vodka with only a relatively minor impact on the drink. The PGA, however, is essential for purists seeking to recreate the drink as it is made in Las Vegas.

I routinely make syrups and tinctures and therefore keep and routinely use PGA in my bar and kitchen. I keep at least one 1.75l bottle around with which I refill my smaller bar and kitchen bottle. It is an effective shelf-life extender which is integral to keeping my homemade stuff useable, safe, and stable.

Correction to my earlier post - I did not start a new thread for the book but added the Frankie's book to the "Favorite Recipe Book" thread which requires a more detailed search string to find. Now that this thread has some "legs," perhaps the original poster (EarlyLanded Larry) would consider changing the name to something like "Frankie's Tiki Room Liquid Vacation recipe book" or something like that? I think that would be helpful. Then we could move the earlier Fink Bomb recipe discussion and others like it into a single thread. Cheers folks!

AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-06 09:25 am   Permalink

I just finished looking through the rest of the Frankie's book and found no other recipes which add Everclear. So that means 1/2 oz of Everclear, in a single recipe, in the entire book. BUT - by re-familiarizing myself with the book, I found:

1) Lots of 151 rums, Wray & Nephew overproof, and Stroh's 160 included in the recipe. These high-octane ingredients are to be expected to a certain degree for genre of often juice-heavy tropical drinks. But clearly, to me, in my opinion, it is not warranted to single out Everclear although it is unusual and novel in a sort of tongue-in-cheek way. But the Frankie's drinks ARE novel, fun, and often tongue-in-cheek, and even more so when you read their descriptions and back stories. This is a FUN book!
2) I was again impressed with the variations of drinks, the beautiful photography, and the pure fun which this book effectively puts across. (Note to self: Gotta make another beautifully-layered Fink Bomb!)
3) Good selection of syrup recipes at the back - very useful as a learning aid.
4) They have a Florida Daiquiri in the book, heavily inspired by the Floridita bar in Havana. Forgot about this, gotta try it, and hope Mike reads this cuz both of us had a great time on our trips there and have been testing recipes in an attempt to come close to the pure magic of the authentic Floridita daiquiri.

It really is fun having a home bar, and even more so when you have good recipes to play with.

Early Landed Larry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-08-06 1:12 pm   Permalink

AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)

Correct, thank you, "Mutiny" on page 94, but with ONLY 1/2 OUNCE. This is expected in a drink which is made with SEVEN ounces of liquid and built over ice and not shaken. The ingredients are mostly "weak" (4 oz of juice and soda, plus 1 oz sweet & sour, then other misc. things) except for the tiny 1/2 ounce of vodka.

Thanks! Looking forward to trying it. I wasn't suggesting that having Everclear as an ingredient was necessarily irresponsible! And no doubt treated with care it would work fine, after all it's only like using any other alcohol, with care in dosing needed.

Now that this thread has some "legs," perhaps the original poster (EarlyLanded Larry) would consider changing the name to something like "Frankie's Tiki Room Liquid Vacation recipe book" or something like that? I think that would be helpful. Then we could move the earlier Fink Bomb recipe discussion and others like it into a single thread. Cheers folks!

- Done - Thanks AceExplorer! Photos of creations to follow. EL

AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-06 1:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-06 13:12, Early Landed Larry wrote:
I wasn't suggesting that having Everclear as an ingredient was necessarily irresponsible! And no doubt treated with care it would work fine, after all it's only like using any other alcohol, with care in dosing needed.

Thanks, EL! And also appreciate renaming the thread, I think it works well. Oh about the Everclear, what caused me to dig deeper is that the product has a "college" reputation if you know what I mean. It's rarely associated with our level of cocktail craft, and since the folks at Frankie's put so much of their passion, time, and energy into their work, I wanted to see for myself how things stood with the pure grain alcohol. It was fun to look up and see how things stood.

I'm looking forward to your photos, and I should do the same and will certainly try. One tip, if you try the Fink Bomb. Pour the ingredients carefully over a round ice ball to get the layering. The presentation is stellar!

Cheers to you!

Early Landed Larry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-08-22 02:11 am   Permalink

So the book has landed, so far we've tried the Bombora Blast - I made Mrs Larry's one with soda water instead of Rockstar because she doesn't like any energy drinks (the recipe has 2 oz of Rockstar as a topper) and left mine as written. Interestingly I preferred the soda water version - I thought the energy drink bullied the other ingredients but that may be because I used guava juice rather than nectar.. I love the irreverent inclusion of various modern juices and soft drinks.

A question - there's a lot of call in the book for Whalers Dark Rum. Being based in the U.K. I cannot get this (therein lies a tale for MANY of the standard tiki rums..).

Judging from reviews this is just a fairly neutral, moderately sweet dark blend - it sounds like Goslings would be a decent substitute, what do you think? The styles of dark rum I can get are Myers's, Captain Morgan, and various navy style blends but the description of the Whalers doesn't sound like it is either Jamaican or Navy style. (In the absence of a categorisation system in the Frankies book I will need to figure these out myself.). Cheers!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation