Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Mai Tai abomonation
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Mai Tai abomonation
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-20 12:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-12-20 10:52, kkocka wrote:
Who would go to an Italian joint to even order a legit mai tai anyway?

Nobody. People don't go to Olive Garden for drinks, outside of maybe some blended red with their meal. The mai tai is there solely because it's a name most have probably heard before, although never tried, and may well go "What the heck--I'll give it a try." It's a lure, nothing more (although bait-and-switch is more accurate).

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-12 11:10 am   Permalink

Not necessarily an abomination, but a variation on the Mai Tai, and worth reading. I've said it a number of times before -- today it's all about going outside of the traditional box and having fun with it. (Well, as long as you end up with something that tastes good.)

https://www.liquor.com/articles/charles-coykendall/#gs.sWGjhrQ

Article copied here because a) interesting reading for us on TC, and b) eventually it will disappear from the liquor.com site.

THIS BOSTON BARTENDER MAKES HIS MAI TAIS THE ITALIAN WAY
Contributed by Brad Japhe
Posted on Feb 20, 2018

(image: Charles Coykendall)
While certain spirits become more and more narrowly defined, rum remains something of a free bird. It can be made just about anywhere from just about any sort of sugar cane honey or derivative byproduct. Yet for all of its versatility, rum is curiously constrained in the minds of many drinkers—a Caribbean construct destined for beachside cocktails and motor-bound blenders.

Charles Coykendall is doing his best to beat back that stereotype. The beverage director at Benedetto, a popular Mediterranean restaurant in Cambridge, Mass., is recasting rum with an Italian accent. Avoiding the typecast, he’s directing the spirit to shine in a new role.

The connection between rum and Italy, specifically, is anything but obvious. The country only counts three producers within its boundaries, two of which source juice from tropical isles. But Coykendall bridges the thematic divide deftly in a drink that has become something of an instant classic at Benedetto. The Maitalia, as its name suggests, is a Mai Tai seen through Italian eyes. It includes Borducan orange liqueur (from the Italian alps), orgeat, citrus, bitters and Galliano, an Italian liqueur that “pairs beautifully with Jamaican rum,” says Coykendall.

Maitalia, left, and Doppio Solera

But before he can demonstrate the cultural flexibility of the spirit, Coykendall first has to convince his Boston-area patrons that rum is a viable spirit during the snowy months. “I think rum is a great spirit to use in all seasons,” he says. “Of course, it’s great in the summertime, when you’re thinking citrus and tropical. But aged rums are also a lot of fun to use during winter months.”

Those darker varieties, it turns out, work particularly well with Italian bitters. To wit, some drinkers find rum to be a superior substitute to gin in a Negroni variation.

“Amari can end up competing with the botanicals in gin for flavor dominance,” says Jon Lawson, who produces Batiste, an agricole-style rhum out of Northern California. “With sugar cane juice rhums, there are no added ingredients, and especially dry ones allow the amari to shine.” From this angle, the pair seem less like strange bedfellows and more like soulmates.

Benedetto

It’s held as self-evident at Benedetto, where Coykendall keeps finding creative ways to unite the two on the menu. “Good rums are versatile enough to pair with complex Italian spirits like amaro, as well as the sweeter herbal liqueurs, like Strega,” he says.

In his Doppio Solera, Coykendall relies on a base spirit of Santa Teresa 1796 rum to support a weighty trifecta of amari, vermouth and sherry. The name refers to the fractional blending technique used in the aging of both rum and Spanish fortified wines.

“A range of Italian spirits give this cocktail complexity and flavor while combining with the distinctive Venezuelan rum and rich sherry to create a nice ‘stirred, brown and down’ sipper that’s perfect for the colder seasons,” he says.

Doppio Solera

And Coykendall is hardly having a tough time selling it as such. After all, rum, even in an unlikely setting such as an Italian restaurant, is generally viewed as accessible, certainly more so than some of the more full-throttled amari lining the backbar. In this way, Coykendall positions rum not just as some novel addition to Italian mixology so much as a beautiful vehicle to bring you there.

For its part, the Maitalia is converting skeptics. “It has been on the menu since we opened,” says Coykendall. “The association gets people’s attention, especially when you have so many obscure Italian spirits on the menu. It helps to have something a bit familiar, to give people a comfort zone. People come back and order it again and again.”

Could it be enough to launch a broader trend of Italian rum cocktails? The folks in this part of Cambridge say so. And they’re wicked smaht.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kevincrossman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-15 08:34 am   Permalink

Nick Cannon Makes a Mai Tai

Is even worse than you imagine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXHkPRPr9qM

View Profile of kevincrossman Send a personal message to kevincrossman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-15 08:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-15 08:34, kevincrossman wrote:

Is even worse than you imagine.

Thanks for the heads up. I just left what I hope is a constructive comment / suggestion that he come up with a different name for his drink.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-15 09:07 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-03-15 09:10 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-15 3:08 pm   Permalink

As I've often commented -- if anyone ordered a screwdriver and was handed a drink of pineapple juice and tequila they would scream bloody murder. But so many people will accept any sweet cocktail that's labeled a mai tai no matter how off the mark.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-03-15 9:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-15 08:34, kevincrossman wrote:

Perhaps Mr. Cannon went to American Bartendering School:

https://youtu.be/DgI700aERNc

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-22 7:33 pm   Permalink

Found this "Mai Tai" on a local high-end restaurant menu.

At least they spelled "Myers's Rum" correctly. It actually tasted ok, but it is definitely nowhere close to the pure joy of a REAL original Mai Tai.

[ This Message was edited by: AceExplorer 2018-04-22 19:36 ]

JCorduroy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-04-23 06:42 am   Permalink

There's nothing in my area of Michigan that even kind of qualifies as a tiki bar - but the sports bar/restaurant around the corner has a Mai Tai on the menu without listing the ingredients. Feeling brave one night, I ordered.

This was a mistake. The drink, while...not unpleasant, was so far removed from what a Mai Tai is it was laughable.

Last month, I decided to roll the dice again, and ordered their Planter's Punch. It was blue.

Needless to say, I don't order mixed drinks there anymore.

View Profile of JCorduroy Send a personal message to JCorduroy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-23 08:14 am   Permalink

Yup, it's way disappointing. I try to chide the bartenders a bit when this happens -- "So, where do you get your drink recipes? This is nothing like what the drink is supposed to be." This often leads into a friendly discussion where the bartender (hopefully) gets to learn some things from me and hopefully takes it back to his boss. But in all cases I try to gently deliver the message that "You'd sell way more of these if you made them right cuz they'd taste way better."

We're cocktail missionaries, right?

JCorduroy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-04-23 08:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-04-23 08:14, AceExplorer wrote:
Yup, it's way disappointing. I try to chide the bartenders a bit when this happens -- "So, where do you get your drink recipes? This is nothing like what the drink is supposed to be." This often leads into a friendly discussion where the bartender (hopefully) gets to learn some things from me and hopefully takes it back to his boss. But in all cases I try to gently deliver the message that "You'd sell way more of these if you made them right cuz they'd taste way better."

We're cocktail missionaries, right?

Hell yes we are - I think the Beachbum and Sven kickstarted the movement, and it's definitely up to us to evangelize what a good cocktail should be!

View Profile of JCorduroy Send a personal message to JCorduroy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-23 09:06 am   Permalink

Reminded me -- I sometimes try to imagine what it was like to be at a bar where Donn Beach or Vic Bergeron were mixing and serving drinks. They would be very enthusiastic about their cocktails, and they would also be in-depth with the reasoning behind the drink. Today we have so many good recipes and so many good ingredients that we can build home bars and accurately make the magic on our own.

Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 25 days ago; 12:29 pm   Permalink

Spotted on the drinks menu at Ruby Tuesday. I was tempted, wondering if it really comes in the Libbey glass, but common sense prevailed.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation