Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Mai Tai abomonation
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Mai Tai abomonation
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-18 11:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-17 19:06, Tiki-boss wrote:
Sad thing is that outside of a tiki bar many people may actually send back a properly made Mai Tai simply because it's not what they expecting.

I believe it. My personal view is that bartenders would really benefit from trying to SELL the customer on the story that goes with the drink, thereby also EDUCATING their customers. Otherwise what is the bartender doing? Just slinging booze. Bartenders could (should) give their customers more value by teaching them to be better drinkers, and telling them awesome backstories. Oh, they're too busy 100% of the time to actually care about the customer? Then the bar will achieve very little other than slinging booze.

Would you rather drink "just a cocktail," or a cocktail with some passion and a great story coupled with it? I'm not saying the bartender should tell a 10-minute story with each drink, but at least say SOMETHING when you serve it, like "this is a famous one with a great backstory" and then let the customer become really curious and ask a question.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-08-18 2:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-18 11:01, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-08-17 19:06, Tiki-boss wrote:
Sad thing is that outside of a tiki bar many people may actually send back a properly made Mai Tai simply because it's not what they expecting.

I believe it. My personal view is that bartenders would really benefit from trying to SELL the customer on the story that goes with the drink, thereby also EDUCATING their customers. Otherwise what is the bartender doing? Just slinging booze. Bartenders could (should) give their customers more value by teaching them to be better drinkers, and telling them awesome backstories. Oh, they're too busy 100% of the time to actually care about the customer? Then the bar will achieve very little other than slinging booze.

Would you rather drink "just a cocktail," or a cocktail with some passion and a great story coupled with it? I'm not saying the bartender should tell a 10-minute story with each drink, but at least say SOMETHING when you serve it, like "this is a famous one with a great backstory" and then let the customer become really curious and ask a question.

I think most bartenders don't know the history and backstory, or don't care to learn and enlighten. It's just a job for them. I've never been to bartending school so can't say for certain, but presumably they only teach technique and how to make the most commonly requested cocktails, which aren't that complex. Not that a Mai Tai is that difficult to master. But more than likely your average bar doesn't stock the ingredients needed to make a proper Mai Tai, and besides us whiners who know what it could and should be, the common consumer is unlikely to complain about the slop they're drinking cuz they don't know any better.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-18 3:15 pm   Permalink

"and then let the customer become really curious and ask a question."

Bartenders have a name for this person something like pain in the a$$.

Many Bartenders hate making these tiki drinks as there is more work to them.

Would also guess that mikehooker is dead on about the ingredients needed for the Mai Tai
orgeat? and even Mint? not going to happen at most places.
Damn you are lucky if they have limes!

But when a Tiki bar can't make a good Mai Tai, well that's a problem.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-20 08:19 am   Permalink

BG Reynolds also had a couple of good videos on the correct way to make a Mai Tai and a 1950 Zombie, and the volume of people spouting lunacies they had learned at bartending school was jarring.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paulynesian

Posted: 2017-08-25 10:58 am   Permalink

New entry- Worcester's Annex in Houston has their "Heights Mai Tai":

White Rum, Blackstrap Rum, Lime and Campari

The mix of white and blackstrap seems particularly cruel.

[ This Message was edited by: Paulynesian 2017-08-25 12:38 ]

View Profile of Paulynesian Send a personal message to Paulynesian      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-25 1:26 pm   Permalink

That is cruel, and an interesting mix of ingredients. Once again we see the Mai Tai has become a free-for-all drink title used by those who don't know anything about the real drink and that area of cocktail history.

Campari? The guy is just attempting to show off by using something a little unusual.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-25 3:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-25 13:26, AceExplorer wrote:
That is cruel, and an interesting mix of ingredients. Once again we see the Mai Tai has become a free-for-all drink title used by those who don't know anything about the real drink and that area of cocktail history.

Campari? The guy is just attempting to show off by using something a little unusual.

Do you think he even realizes how close he is to a Jungle Bird?

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-26 07:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-15 14:46, TikiHardBop wrote:
Sorry, but the "kerosene" Mai Tai from the Bahi Hut in Sarasota has got to be the winner by far. It is easily the worst drink of any kind that I have been served by a commercial establishment.

When I saw the thread name... I just assumed it would be about the Bahi Hut's Mai Tai. A lot of good take-aways in this discussion. Whenever, I introduce new people to the BH I end up explaining the "Mai Tai", theres vs real ones and real ones vs what we often encounter.

In all my travels.. all my Mai Tais, the Bahi Hut Mai Tai is... unique, and I never have to have one again. ever.

Exceeding the two drink minimum will lead to VERY BAD THINGS.

That said, I will always fight to keep it on the menu. It is legendary and so many of us locals have endured that right of passage that it is tradition.
When you list the criteria for calling yourself a "Sarasotan" this is arguably at the top.

the Bahi Hut Mai Tai ... my vote for the worstest ever.

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-28 09:41 am   Permalink

DNA had it almost right, except for the name of the drink:
Quote:

"It is a curious fact, and one to which no-one knows quite how much importance to attach, that something like 85 percent of all known worlds in the Galaxy, be they primitive or highly advanced, have invented a drink called jynnan tonyx, or gee-N'N-T'N-ix, or jinond-o-nicks, or any one of a thousand variations on this phonetic theme.
The drinks themselves are not the same, and vary between the Sivolvian ‘chinanto/mnigs’ which is ordinary water served just above room temperature, and the Gagrakackan 'tzjin-anthony-ks’ which kills cows at a hundred paces; and in fact the only one common factor between all of them, beyond the fact that their names sound the same, is that they were all invented and named before the worlds concerned made contact with any other worlds."

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 2:16 pm   Permalink

What fresh hell is this?

Spotted today at Olive Garden (don't judge--office Christmas luncheon). I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 3:09 pm   Permalink

Amaretto hardly qualifies that drink to be Italian "themed." Yikes.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation