FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » MAI KAI and Hurricane Irma?
MAI KAI and Hurricane Irma?
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-07 6:35 pm   Permalink

Anyone know how the Mai Kai is prepping for Irma? They're pretty close to the ocean.

If so, please keep us updated! Lots of luck, Mai Kai!

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-07 7:41 pm   Permalink

This is what they posted on Instagram.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-08 12:36 am   Permalink

Not surprised at anything that the Mai Kai does. They are First Cabin all the way. Floridians and the Mai Kai and their staff are in our hearts and prayers .

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-08 04:59 am   Permalink

This is from hurricane Donna or Dora in the 60s. The structure of the Mai-Kai is steel. Things like the thatch on the port cochere may get taken out, but the main building should be okay. That doesn't mean they might be out of commission for a while, just like the whole area...

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-08 08:37 am   Permalink

damn....my birthday coming up in a couple of months and I was making plans on either the Mai Kai or Chuck's Seafood in Fort Pierce for dinner (depending on finances....Chuck's was my local choice if I couldn't justify the couple hours trip and hotel room in Lauderdale). Now, Mai Kai may be out of commission and since Chucks is on the FtP inlet, and took quite a beating in 2004, and depending on how my place holds out, my finances may be on the ropes, also......Looks like it may be Mickey Dee's for B-day this year.

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-08 7:50 pm   Permalink

In addition to the Mai-Kai we have concerns about the Wreck Bar, the Bahi Hut, the glass house in Sarasota, the great 50s motels in Treasure Island, JD's in Indian Rocks Beach, the Elbo Room, Bern's Steak House, Sponge-O-Rama, the Tahitian Resort, the Hemingway house in Key West, Sloppy Joe's, the Bamboo Beer Garden, the Buccaneer, the Top o' Spray, and about 500 other places...

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-boss
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-09-08 8:42 pm   Permalink

Wow, so much beautiful history at risk in addition to the many lives being impacted. Keeping them our thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the picture and info Tim.

View Profile of Tiki-boss Send a personal message to Tiki-boss      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-08 9:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-09-08 08:37, howlinowl wrote:
damn....my birthday coming up in a couple of months and I was making plans on either the Mai Kai or Chuck's Seafood in Fort Pierce for dinner (depending on finances....Chuck's was my local choice if I couldn't justify the couple hours trip and hotel room in Lauderdale). Now, Mai Kai may be out of commission and since Chucks is on the FtP inlet, and took quite a beating in 2004, and depending on how my place holds out, my finances may be on the ropes, also......Looks like it may be Mickey Dee's for B-day this year.

howlinowl

Kevin, sometimes you just gotta do and don’t look back.
Have a blast!

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-11 05:24 am   Permalink

any word on how the Mai Kai is faring?

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-boss
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-09-11 06:12 am   Permalink

Looks like it made it through OK

View Profile of Tiki-boss Send a personal message to Tiki-boss      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-boss
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-09-11 06:13 am   Permalink

Now for updates on everything else in Florida.

tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-11 10:45 am   Permalink

great news!!!!

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-11 11:32 am   Permalink

The Hemingway House is unscathed. A couple trees went down on the property, but that's it. The famous six-toed cats all made it through safely.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-11 12:45 pm   Permalink

Just one more.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-11 2:32 pm   Permalink

Wunderbar!

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation