Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music The Great 78 music project
The Great 78 music project
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-21 09:27 am   Permalink

I just learned about the Great 78 Project, which is digitizing and making available online public domain 78 rpm records. Thus far, they're released 25,000 songs , out of a planned 400,000. There are several interesting articles about it online, music published starting around 1898. Naturally, I wondered if the Hawaiian music craze of the early 20th century was represented, and sure enough, it's got it's own category :

https://archive.org/details/georgeblood?&and[]=languageSorter%3A%22Hawaiian%22

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-09-21 09:34 am   Permalink

Super COOL! Thanks for sharing!

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-21 11:41 am   Permalink

HOLY. CRAP.

What a treasure trove!! Thank you SO much!!

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-21 12:03 pm   Permalink

Hey, I've gotta earn my keep around here some way!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-21 2:11 pm   Permalink

A quick word of caution: My antivirus protection just caught a Backdoor: Win32/Floxif malware. I don't know where it came from, but vintage Hawiian MP3s are the only things I've downloaded today. The Great 78 project's legit, but it is *possible* their servers could be compromised. I'm messaging them. Tread carefully.

tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-09-22 3:25 pm   Permalink

Good catch, Prikli! I had seen a press release about this back in August:
http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/local/arts-culture/106319-philly-company-digitizes-collection-of-25000-old-records-and-growing-free-to-download

Cool to hear that some old Hawaiian tunes are included. I'll watch out for that malware.

Jeff

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation