Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Cruzan 151
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Cruzan 151
Early Landed Larry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-10-03 10:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-02 00:50, jokeiii wrote:
IF you can't get a Demerara 151, but can get a regular proof Demerara rum, then something like Cruzan 151 is useful for what Beachbum Berry called "the switcheroo. For example, a recipe may call for a gold/amber rum and a Demerara 151 in equal measure; you can replace them with, say, Cruzan 151 and a regular proof Demerara. So, under these circumstances it may be worth considering.

Ah ok.. yes, that makes sense. I really must get some of the Bum's books (I have his app; the SC book; and the Frankie's book).

For now, my Plantation 151 has arrived and I've just tasted it. It will come in handy but it's not quite as good as the OFTD - it is better than Goslings 151 though. I was just thinking that it would be great with some Myers's or EL8 added to kind of "pull" it one way or the other. It's pretty rare I mix a drink with only a 151 in it so I'm pleased with my purchase.

I couldn't bring myself to get the Cruzan just to have a gold 151, when nobody anywhere appears to rate it as a better rum (in general) than OFTD, and where I am based it is more expensive to get hold of!

While we're on the topic, it's a different style altogether but I also have an unaged 151 Jamaican rum from Habitation Velier, and it is amazing stuff. It was priced more like a premium sipper than a cocktail rum but I tried a tiny bit in the shop, and my goodness it is something else - astonishingly high-ester and deeply molassesey. I've been subbing a 1/4 oz in recipes that call for other overproofs - it slays in a Navy Grog, and really added to a Black Magic the other weekend. I'm hoping to use it more sparingly and make it last. Recommended.

View Profile of Early Landed Larry Send a personal message to Early Landed Larry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-07 03:38 am   Permalink

If you check out The Grogalizer (covering not just the Beachbum's output, but also Smuggler's Cove and Hurricane Hayward's Mai Kai tributes) you will see what you need to make what recipes and then you can decide IF you need to do the "switcheroo" or not. If you can get Demerara 151 (or a Don Q or Bacardi 151) at a not-painful price point, then skip this step and proceed merrily to your end destination.

That's the only reason *I* have my Bacardi 151, because I could get a Demerara regular proof rum, but Hamilton/Lemon Hart were (at the time) utterly unobtainable. If I wanted to make the 1950 Don the Beachcomber Zombie (my favorite variant) then that was the only choice available to me.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation