FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Question Concerning Giving Up Collecting Tiki Mugs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Question Concerning Giving Up Collecting Tiki Mugs
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-10-01 1:17 pm   Permalink

Seems like you answered your own question...if you don't enjoy buying mugs anymore, don't. And if you don't enjoy your collection, sell it. Move on and find something that brightens your day. Or stash it all, and maybe you will one day rekindle your interest in it.

Personally, I'm still new to the mug thing, but I've already decided that I can't afford most of the ones I would like. So, I'll just look for deals and pick them up if they meet both my aesthetic and my budget.

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sandy Trunks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-10-01 2:44 pm   Permalink

Interesting topic. Thank you, fraterscire, for bringing it up.

It brings to mind something I heard King Kukulele say about his mug collection (and I paraphrase): "I only have a few [mugs] that have a special meaning for me."

When I view my collection through that filter, I can clearly see that I have some mugs that rightfully belong on someone else's shelf.

Cool.

View Profile of Sandy Trunks Send a personal message to Sandy Trunks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-01 6:05 pm   Permalink

I enjoy the relatively small number of mugs I have in my Tiki room. Frankly I don't have the room , motivation or money to acquire more. I enjoy seeing Tiki collectors who have all the variations of those mugs they like to collect, as well as people like myself. Whatever YOUR Tiki pleasure go for IT. (-:

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-02 07:36 am   Permalink

it does get pretty overwhelming with all the new and collector focused designs and glazes that come out - i've pretty much given up on a lot of the new stuff - occasionally i will get with someone on here and trade a mug from our local tiki bar with one from theirs, or paypal someone in the area money to pick me up one from 3 dots for example, but i've gotten to where my collecting is the joy of the hunt at the vintage / flea markets (especially when it's a rarer mug) - i make sure that wherever i travel now, i map out the locations of those stores just so i can do a hunt, it's fun, cheap enjoyment that takes me out of the tourist-y areas of the cities i visit

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dewey-surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-02 6:45 pm   Permalink

New mugs don't do much for me. I'll pay $20-$30 if I like the design, but I mostly thrift. Pickings are slim, but if I find one good one a year, that's ok by me.

View Profile of dewey-surf Send a personal message to dewey-surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-02 6:50 pm   Permalink

I'm with ZombieZach89. Lately, I only buy mugs from places I visit and since I haven't been outside NJ lately that means I've bought none in several years. Although I'd love to buy other tiki treasures I haven't bought much in general lately because I haven't hit the lottery!

So I'd say Keep what you like, sell anything you don't love anymore and try not to let the other shit bother you. Which I know, is WAY easier said than done.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-03 05:02 am   Permalink

I've seen a lot of people with shelves and shelves of mugs, but no tiki beyond that - especially on some of the Facebook groups. For me personally, shelves of mugs doesn't fit in with my budget or decorating style.

I only grab the few that I will drink out of, have special meaning (ie I went there myself), and I also have a small shelf devoted to old local tiki bars. This keeps me from having a wall of mugs, and from spending thousands upon thousands collecting.

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation