FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » The Kon Tiki, Oakland, CA (bar)
The Kon Tiki, Oakland, CA (bar)
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2017-10-26 9:52 pm   Permalink

Name: The Kon Tiki
Type: bar
Street: 347 14th Street
City: Oakland
State: CA
Zip: 94612
Phone:

Description:
Projected opening is November 11, 2017.

The Kon Tiki is in the same location as the recently closed
Longitude

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2017-10-26 21:54 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2017-10-26 9:52 pm   Permalink

Opening soon:
https://sf.eater.com/2017/10/26/16256602/menu-kon-tiki-bar-oakland-opening

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-27 09:35 am   Permalink

Not sure I will ever truly get over the loss of Longitude but I am looking forward to seeing what Kon Tiki has to offer.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kevincrossman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-10-29 4:28 pm   Permalink

The team seems to have good cocktail and restaurant credentials, but clearly are newbies to Tiki. But, they seem willing to learn. Let's hope for a fabulous opening, but in the case where tweaks might be helpful hopefully they will listen to the customers.

I'm really looking forward to this location. It's potentially the best tiki location for me (coming from Fremont) since it is BART friendly (Pagan Idol is also BART friendly).

View Profile of kevincrossman Send a personal message to kevincrossman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-11-01 2:51 pm   Permalink

I'm with you, Kevin - this location is only 5 BART stops away for me in El Cerrito, a 15m ride. So incredibly convenient.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 4:37 pm   Permalink

My friends have liked the drinks thus far, so that's good. Here's a new writeup on Kon Tiki, but I have just one issue... can we repaint the fucking tiki to not be clowns?! Make Tiki Brown Again!

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/11/13/kon-tiki-tiki-oakland-way-strong-drinks-good-food-amazingly-cheesy-kitsch/

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kevincrossman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 23 days ago; 10:51 am   Permalink

We visited the Kon-Tiki during a soft-open prior to their official grand opening. As such, the bar (on a Wednesday evening) was not overly crowded but there was a lively vibe. We sat at the bar and the service was outstanding. When our drinks were low we were politely asked if there was anything else we’d like. We tried an off-menu Mai Tai (made with Denizen’s Merchant Reserve and so very fine), their Navy Grog (strong but good), and the Somaoan Fogcutter (tasted great with brandy). The best drink was the Tropical Itch which comes with a small backscratcher and tasted great; complex and fruity.

The decor here borrows from the former Longitude but is definitely more traditional Tiki. Music was on point with a number of Exotica classics, some surf-tinged songs, and a few lounge songs. For sure the music and decor here are right down the middle in terms of what you want in a tiki bar. There’s room for more immersive or elaborate elements but for sure this is a great start. The upstairs wasn’t open when we visited.

We ordered the Pupu Platter which included their excellent Crab Rangoon Dip, Texas Toast, fried Prawns, BBQ ribs, Macaroni Salad, Mushroom, and Fried Pork Belly. I really loved the Crab Rangoon Dip, but thought to Ribs were not too meaty (more bones and fat) and the pork belly was pretty fatty too (I’ve never had pork belly before, though). My wife liked the Macaroni Salad and the mushrooms. Definitely want to try their fried chicken sandwich and burger next time.

It was kind of funny watching the bartender prep the drinks, referring to a cheat sheet about the drink ingredients and garnishes for the drinks, but the drink menu seems like a great place to start (and the fact that my off-menu Mai Tai used Denizens is a great indicator). They seem to have a large rum collection and am looking forward to a rum club that surely seems probable.

The owners and staff are very personable. This seems like a great start for a new tiki bar and I certainly hope this grows into a formidable player in the Bay Area tiki bar scene. The location is two blocks from the 12th St. BART station so for many of us this is a very convenient tiki bar location.

View Profile of kevincrossman Send a personal message to kevincrossman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation