FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Coconut Snow Powder?
Coconut Snow Powder?
Nepenthes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-21 3:35 pm   Permalink

Hey everyone, I have been wanting to try some of the various recipes in the Intoxica book and have been stumped trying to find Cocnut Snow Powder. Anyone know what it is and where I can get some?

View Profile of Nepenthes Send a personal message to Nepenthes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-21 3:40 pm   Permalink

Just bought some at Trader Mort's, right next to the Bali Hai in San Diego. Real cheap, under $4 ($3?) a can. It's very fine, dry powdery coconut, used for creamy-ing up your drink. I'm told (was it Mrs. ModMana?) that it's best in a blender, even though some tiki-type cocktails should be shaken/stirred, not blended. I'm with her: screw that. if it makes the drink better, do whatever it takes!

[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini on 2003-08-21 15:41 ]

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-21 3:50 pm   Permalink

Liquorama has it, don't know if it's a good price, though.

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nepenthes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-21 3:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the fast replies! The liquor stores in Minneapolis are really lacking in much of the fixings for tropical drinks! I am so glad the internet exists at times like these!

Off to mix a drink!

View Profile of Nepenthes Send a personal message to Nepenthes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKini
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-21 4:29 pm   Permalink

I've found it at BevMo. Tasty on vanilla ice cream too!

View Profile of TikiKini Send a personal message to TikiKini      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconutz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-21 8:57 pm   Permalink

Anyone know where to buy Coconut Snow in Canada or in Alberta or in Calgary, Alberta? We are sooooooooo deprived it seems!

View Profile of coconutz Send a personal message to coconutz  Email coconutz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-21 9:04 pm   Permalink

Has anyone tried Trader Vics Ko Ko Cream syrup? I just got a bottle and love it. It's opened a whole new window in creating some new drinks.

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/tradervics/prodinfo.asp?number=63305-

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
inkylouise
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-08-21 9:28 pm   Permalink

I have no current source, but here's what the can looked like in 1988...

from Orchids of Hawaii catalogue

My grandma used to luv the stuff...We sprinkled it on everything, ice cream, waffles, etc....

View Profile of inkylouise Send a personal message to inkylouise      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-07 4:25 pm   Permalink

Does anyone have any recommendations /recipes on the use of coconut snow?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-08 1:04 pm   Permalink

You can buy some directly from the distributer in California, I did an internet search for it and found them. Here is the address from my shipping label:

Mele-Koi Farms
P.O. Box 2987
Newport Beach, CA 92659

(The address listed on the can says zip is 92663)

The only drawback is they they have a minimum order and it is like 6-12 cans of the stuff. I also discovered they sell well on eBay so buy 12 and sell the ones you don't need like I did.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-10-10 10:16 am   Permalink

I found mine at my local Ralphs grocery store in SoCal but haven't tried it out yet.

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation