FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What are you Drinking?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
What are you Drinking?
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-11 3:47 pm   Permalink

I've heard many centralites mention a favorite drink in passing. Flaming, smoking, dry ice laced, rum rhapsodies. I want recipes. For instance, Shelley always enjoys a good Mojito.

Mojito
7 to 9 mint leaves
1 OZ fresh lime
2 teaspoons Equal or sugar
1.5 OZ White Rum
Club soda
In a pint glass add mint, equal, lime and rum. "Muddle" ingredients. Fill glass with ice, top with club soda. good stuff
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-11 4:37 pm   Permalink

Here at the 821 we have a lot of favorites, but here is one I like on a hot summer night:
My Mai Tai

1 ounce Bacardi silver Rum
1 and 1/2 ounce Bacardi 8 Special dark Rum
1/3 ounce Orange Curacao
1/3 ounce Rock candy syrup
1/3 ounce Orgeat syrup
The juice of one fresh lime (only half if you are using a squeezer)
Shake well, strain into a double old fashiond glass filled with crushed ice
Float a few drops of Grenedine and a few drops of Creme De Noyaux on top, garnish with lime shell, mint sprig, orange slice and a marischino cherry, and of course, a cocktail parasol
Visit the 821:
http://www.tikiking.com/lounge_door.html
Tell 'em Tiki King sent you!

http://www.tikiking.com Neat Tiki Stuff
http://www.mp3.com/tiki_king Hear the King sing!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki King on 2002-07-11 16:53 ]

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2002-07-11 5:27 pm   Permalink

Al-

Good Mojito recipe, but I have to take exception to the Equal! Yuk!

Here's a great twist on that recipe, as made by Hobson's Choice in San Francisco: Prepare as above, but substitue Bacardi Orange for regular white rum. I normally run in fear of flavored rums, but this goes nicely in the Mojito.

Still smarting from missing the Havana Club in 135,

-Martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-11 5:57 pm   Permalink

Diet cherry coke with a little rum and 99 Bananas.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-07-11 6:54 pm   Permalink

I still have some Havana Club white and Anejo left that friends brought back from Mexico. I love daquiris with Havana Club, fresh lime, and superfine sugar, shaken and served up! The Anejo is great by itself.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mattio
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-07-11 8:29 pm   Permalink

I like Abstinence on the Beach! lol because I am not quite at the drinking age

1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen concentrated grapefruit juice
1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen cranberry juice concentrate
1/4 cup coconut milk
9 cups cold water
In a 6 quart container combine concentrated grapefruit juice, concentrated cranberry juice and water. Put about 1 cup of juice and coconut milk in food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and pour back into main juice mixture. Stir to incorporate. Chill at least 2 hours.

View Profile of Mattio Send a personal message to Mattio  Goto the website of Mattio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-16 11:34 am   Permalink

I recently tried a mojito recipe that had you make a mint simple syrup with fresh mint leaves ans skipping all the muddling. It was pretty good and the sugar was completely dissolved, rather than sinking into the bottom of the glass.

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
theandrewssister
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-07-17 07:53 am   Permalink

Skip the soft drinks, what you need is a Mojito Royale (sorry, can't do individual quantities -- this is for a jug):

1 big handful of mint, muddled with 1 tablespoon sugar (I find sugar/simple syrup always recrystallises on hitting the ice)
1 pint Havana Club rum
juice of 4 limes
couple of handfuls of ice
top up with champagne (or cava if you're low-rent like me)

I only serve this and jugs of Cosmopolitans at my parties -- makes it easy. If you want beer, bring it yourself. I must say that the Mojito Royale is pretty lethal -- but it tastes GOOD and makes you the life and soul of the party for those few hours before you crash to the floor.

View Profile of theandrewssister Send a personal message to theandrewssister  Email theandrewssister     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokomoTikiBar&Grill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-17 12:28 pm   Permalink

Bacardi 151 STRAIGHT!!! Hey I am redneck, what can I say. OH and I like beer. Nothing like those sweet drinks though. Thanks for the recipes! Palm Trees and Pine Trees baby!!!!

View Profile of KokomoTikiBar&Grill Send a personal message to KokomoTikiBar&Grill      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-18 09:28 am   Permalink

Usually it's 'Dr. Malice's Sandwich Islands Elixir". Open the cabinet and use whatever is in there with pineapple juice, orgeat etc. Sometimes it works, sometimes, well, there's Tylenol.

For non 'tropical' it it has to be the greatest Prohibition Era drink ever invented:

"THE FRENCH 75"
2 oz. dry gin
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
juice of half lemon
champagne
Shake well with ice. Strain into tall glass with fresh ice. Top with champagne. Get more Tylenol.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2002-07-18 10:16 ]

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-18 10:12 am   Permalink

My favorite non-tiki drink is an ancient (ca 1820s) American cocktail called a Stonewall:

1 part dark rum
2 parts hard apple cider

mix together and serve over cubed (not crushed) ice.

I don't know how many of you realize this, but America in the 1820s-1850s was a seriously sauced country. That period marked a level of alcohol consumption that has never been matched, before or since, in this country. Supposedly the modern concept of a "cocktail" was invented during that golden age of alcoholism...

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-18 10:39 am   Permalink

Right now, I'm having a Campari & soda. Not my usual drink, and one which I had to learn how to enjoy. (Like smoking a pipe). It's a good one for a hot day.

I reckon modern day Russia is the drinking equivalent of the US in the 1800's. There was a tv show a few months back about vodka consumption there, and they would wake up, puke from the previous night's binge, and go straight to a new bottle of vodka before breakfast. And that's the women.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
theandrewssister
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-07-18 2:45 pm   Permalink

campari and soda -- now you're talking about my favourite drink. However, I don't like to admit this. I was in an Irish pub the other day (a real one) and was foolish or brave enough to ask for a c and s. The Barmaid went ballistic -- screaming across the whole bar that they had a woman in the house who had ordered the world's worst drink. She kept on about it the whole night - -hiding when I went up to the bar, the works. Imagine if I had asked for a Babycham... Hoever, when I was in Italy this was a perfectly respectable drink. Oh well...

View Profile of theandrewssister Send a personal message to theandrewssister  Email theandrewssister     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-18 3:10 pm   Permalink

Well, most people are phillistines when it comes to bitters, so fuck 'em if they can't take a drink.

The first time I had Campari, I expected a sweet raspberry/strawberry flavour, and the vicious bitter taste instantly gave me a face of a baby sucking it's first lemon. I couldn't finish it, but weeks later I was intrigued enough to give it another go, and through a trial by fire, I now find it's even more refreshing than a G&T.

Must say, though, you are braver than me to order one in an Irish bar! The general pub-going public are more sympathetic to a heroin habit than a Campari fetish.

Trader Woody

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Woody on 2002-07-18 15:11 ]

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-07-18 4:15 pm   Permalink

How about Punt et Mes? It makes a different but tasty Negroni. Gin cocktails are my second favorite after rum cocktails. I almost never use Vodka, except in a Moscow Mule. Not enough flavor for me. IMNSHO, Vodka is for people who don't like the taste of liquor.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation