FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Advice Please: Dick Dale Live...Worth it?
Advice Please: Dick Dale Live...Worth it?
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-22 01:02 am   Permalink

Dick Dale's coming to town, $15 (plus fees, of course), on a school night...Is his live show good? Great? Should I just buy some CDs instead?

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-22 07:33 am   Permalink

I've seen Dick Dale shows in which I was transported to another world, they were so good. Then he went through his Native American spiritual phase, which frankly kinda bored me. Since then he's gone back to the good stuff, and I've loved the shows again.

So your odds are good!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-22 09:06 am   Permalink

I saw him in Portland about five years ago. Awesome. If you go, let us know if you thought it was worth it.

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamzeno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-22 09:20 am   Permalink

Of course, the instrumental stylings of Dick Dale are nothing short of amazing and must be seen live. (You'll be proud to tell your grandchildren.) This may eventually lead to singing as the show goes on however, but you'll know what to do...hey, you said it was a school night anyway.

Go and enjoy the surf guitar!

View Profile of bamzeno Send a personal message to bamzeno  Email bamzeno Goto the website of bamzeno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-22 11:36 am   Permalink

Go see him. He is a legend. If Dusty Watson is drummin for him, which he usually does, the show will be awesome.
15 clams is a deal.
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-22 11:47 am   Permalink

He was a regular on the Bay Area nightclub circuit years ago, and I caught him a couple times, usually with a local surf band like the Ultras opening up for him. He is a lightning bolt of cosmic musical energy. This was like ten years ago, maybe less, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who plans on slowing down any before he's, say, 80. I would definitely jump on any chance to see him live because while he's very energetic and rocks as hard as ever, he's no spring chicken, and musicians have a notorious habit of suddenly dropping dead on us before they collect any social security(Barry White being the most recent example.)I don't say that to jinx Dick, but hey, my wife and I missed Mel Torme once when he was in town and then suddenly he was gone and now we're kicking ourselves. See the old school legends in person while you can, by all means. Oh, he calls his followers "Dickheads" (as opposed to Grateful Dead groupies). Be a Dickhead!

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-22 11:39 pm   Permalink

He actually melts picks too!! Serious!!

Arrrrrrrr!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-24 7:40 pm   Permalink

Go! Go! Go! A night to remember! He rocks as hard as the night is long! Terrific live show!

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation