Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars TulTiki home bar build
TulTiki home bar build
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 29 days ago; 1:41 pm   Permalink

today is the day! ground was broken on my home bar / pub shed - it will probably take 6-8 months, but this is a good strong start - originally i had wanted to do shipping containers, but the cost was more than conventional in my part of the country - plus i have a lot of trade out built with a construction company - so i'm going to match exterior look of my house then go full tiki inside

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 29 days ago; 1:55 pm   Permalink

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, no footing for the block?
Is that common where you are?

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 29 days ago; 1:59 pm   Permalink

we dug down and did a concrete footing

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath

Posted: 29 days ago; 2:04 pm   Permalink

Sorry, I'm not used to such a clean foundation.
I'm much more used to seeing overpour and concrete everywhere.
Nice job and it looks like it's going to be a pretty decent sized bar when all is said and done.

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 29 days ago; 2:09 pm   Permalink

going to be 12x16 - we mixed bags really close to the trenches - set a 4" PVC sleeve under footing in center of each wall so we could run water and electric in and do a drywell out for greywater

8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 2:35 pm   Permalink

That's a great thing you got started there. I look forward to your updates. Hope the weather cooperates for your plans.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 25 days ago; 12:01 am   Permalink

Needs more tikis.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 25 days ago; 05:32 am   Permalink

GROG funny.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 25 days ago; 06:55 am   Permalink

Looking forward to seeing this develop. But goodness, it's chilly way down here, so I'm wondering how much the weather's going to cooperate and allow any build progress these next few months.

And is that a beehive in the background? Fresh honey syrup! Homebrew mead!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube

Posted: 25 days ago; 07:34 am   Permalink

Best of luck with your project...will be exciting to watch it come together!

As for the weather, as long as it's not snowing or raining you'll be fine. It looks like your concrete work is done, and framing and sheathing goes up quick. Throw some housewrap up and it can sit until you're ready (and it's warm enough) to paint siding.

Nothing quite like swinging a hammer to keep you warm.

[ This Message was edited by: tikitube 2017-11-22 07:35 ]

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HodagHut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 24 days ago; 08:45 am   Permalink

Good luck! We lucked into this set up with our place, it just took us ten years to figure out what we wanted was a Tiki Hut!

B

View Profile of HodagHut Send a personal message to HodagHut  Email HodagHut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 1:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-22 06:55, Prikli Pear wrote:
Looking forward to seeing this develop. But goodness, it's chilly way down here, so I'm wondering how much the weather's going to cooperate and allow any build progress these next few months.

And is that a beehive in the background? Fresh honey syrup! Homebrew mead!

it hasn't been too bad here - 50's mostly - mead is on the agenda - should get my first batch of honey next spring!

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 8:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-24 13:54, stevekh wrote:
it hasn't been too bad here - 50's mostly - mead is on the agenda - should get my first batch of honey next spring!

Have you made mead before? It's definitely different than homebrewing ale. If you ferment it at warm, ale-friendly temperatures, fusel alcohols form that make it taste really harsh. I finally solved that problem with a water/ice bath and evaporative cooling. I also have discovered the wonders of Wyeast 1388, which is a high-gravity Belgian beer yeast capable of producing excellent mead if fed properly. Check out the
Bray's One Month Mead at Home Brew Forums for more info.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 22 days ago; 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-24 20:36, Prikli Pear wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-11-24 13:54, stevekh wrote:

Have you made mead before? It's definitely different than homebrewing ale. If you ferment it at warm, ale-friendly temperatures, fusel alcohols form that make it taste really harsh. I finally solved that problem with a water/ice bath and evaporative cooling. I also have discovered the wonders of Wyeast 1388, which is a high-gravity Belgian beer yeast capable of producing excellent mead if fed properly. Check out the Bray's One Month Mead at Home Brew Forums for more info.

i've made it a few times - i've gotten to where i just water the honey down with a distilled water, then pitch the yeast - don't heat it at all as heat can make the honey lose a lot of it's nuances - i typically age it a year with some light char oak pieces after primary fermentation, then run it through my clarifier - turns out more like a port or a wine - been using a hefeweizen yeast as the byproduct of it (banana notes, bubblegum notes) work awesome with the honey - as far as the harsh flavor, i know a lot of people add campden tablets to stop fermentation, then back sweeten with more honey, but i like the simplicity and flavor and viscosity of the way i've been doing it

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation