FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Exotica 2003: pictures!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Exotica 2003: pictures!
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-22 12:14 pm   Permalink

Here's the first batch, kids.

Trader Vics last night was a blast, the place was packed, and the weekend is off to a grand start!

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars on 2003-08-22 12:15 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-22 2:15 pm   Permalink

I am sad I am unable to be there after all my big talk of going... post more pictures!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-22 8:02 pm   Permalink

It's the lovely Louise Brooks sisters

Hi Naomi, Sven, James, Dean and Robin!!!

Argh. I wish I were there...

thanks so much for the pictures, JT!!!

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-23 02:49 am   Permalink

Lisa and Jane!

We are SO missing you guys!

Toasts were made in your honor - not tom mention EVERYONE else on TC wh couldn't make the trek -

Here's more of what you're missing...

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-23 06:54 am   Permalink

I see Miss Formika made it. And she's squeazing on one of my favorite tikis!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-08-23 10:14 am   Permalink

We miss you tikifish, vixen, and the rest who couldn't make it!

Friday at Trader Vic's was a great start of the weekend. I loved the atmosphere and it's only a couple blocks from my hotel (the Burnham). Last night was a blast! Rum tasting at Delilah's, the lovely Kona Kai, and finally the Rock-a-tiki. I have pics coming soon.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-23 10:46 am   Permalink

More from Kona Kai and Rock-A-Tiki on Friday night.

Yes, we are all extremely hung over today.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-24 09:00 am   Permalink

Thank you my lovely Naomi for the surprise birthday Tiki cake! And thanks to the whole Chicago gang for Exotica 2003, I feel whole again after missing the Oasis and the Hukilau.
Trader Vic's was beautiful, the Kona Kai a privilege, the rum tasting at Delilah's a joy, the Bob Chin Luau a blast AND it was grand to hold my Witco slide show in the hallowed halls of the Hala Kahiki.
Inspired by the Witco imagery, James Teitelbaum announced that his next book project would be: "CONQUISTADOR ROAD TRIP!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-24 11:41 am   Permalink

Here are some pics from Saturday.

That's Captain Dan on stage at the Fires of Polynesia show at the luau, and the other pics are from Hala Kahiki and the surf festival at Phyllis's.

Those who skipped the luau in order to head over to Tiki Bowling report that it was packed full, and out of control. A great time.

As I type this, Big Bro Sven, Naomi, and Bruce (Mr Smiley) have just left my house to head over Chef Shangri-La for brunch; I am unfortunately going to have to skip that one since I got called in to do an audio job for a Mars Williams gig tonight. So someone else is going to have to post some pics of the final event of Exotica 2003.

Thanks again to everyone who attended, in particular those TC members who came in from out of town - Jeff, Alice, Michelle, Kristi, Bruce, Sven and Naomi, Randy and Naomi, Dean, Robin, Tristan, Bree, Brian... that's just off of the top of my head, I know there were more of you. It meant the world to us that you made the trip.

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars on 2003-08-24 11:46 ]

Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-24 6:14 pm   Permalink

Dave x 4, James, Dan, Amy, Cindy, Coalbe
and Scott & crew, thanks for having us. You all did a wonderful job. I enjoyed meeting all the Chicago Tiki crowd as well as the West Coasters. Alice, as always, a pleasure to see you. Cpt. Dan, Mai Tai and Ambrosia & the rest of the Kon Tiki crew, the bus ride was perfect. If only I had a little more punch @ contest time..those mugs would've been mine. Randy great talkin' to you, get that big Tiki Bob home. Sven, the slide presentation was enlightening. It was great to see the staff of the Hala Kahiki take the time to watch your show. I couldn't have had a better time. I will be back. I'll post my pics soon.

Thanks,
Chris

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-24 10:01 pm   Permalink

Just got back from Chicago. Wow! What a blast. Who'd a thunk that Illinois was housing so much rich, chocolately, Tiki goodness????

Trader Vics was a great way to kick things off. I discovered a Peach/Rum concoction yummed me but good! The surroundings were solidly tikified and the company was outstanding!

If you missed Delilah's on Friday you missed some fantastic rums (the mango flavored one kinda stole Tristan's heart and the South African liquour put a smile on my face - especially after the third sample!) It was a really neat kickoff to one of our favorite memories of the weekend: THE PARTY BUS. Captain Dan, you are our new best friend! From preflight instructions to endless rum punch/beer/snacks....boy, it's the only to fly!!!!!

The Kona Kai was cool (I've got the mug, poster and Dave's book as souvenirs) and the Rock-aTiki was VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! Man, high marks for doing it right. We saw so many great tiki details including a couple of Mai Tiki tikis (reminded us of home here in Fla.).

We met up with the gang at the Hala Kahiki on Saturday....a moment of reverent silence please.... we were delighted, surprised and went into sensory overload (ok, maybe the overload part was triggered by the Volcano - a tasty steal at only $10.50!) but suffice it to say that, save for the Mai Kai, it is the coolest, most totally tiki place we've ever seen! A definite high point was seeing a Witco piece on the screen during Sven's excellent slide presentation and being able to turn our heads a few degrees and see that same piece on a wall, or table or in a corner or know that you'd just seen it in the next room. The Hala Kahiki is truly a Witco shrine. What a rush!

And speaking of rush... IT WAS BACK TO THE PARTY BUS for the trek to the luau. Once again, the alcohol, exotica tunes and good times rolled into the Chicago sunset.

The luau was fun, the weather was great and the ride to Phylis' was filled with games, rum, tunes (ok, you get the idea - if you go next year you have to leave the driving to Captain Dan).

Regretably we had to fly back on Sunday (those pesky jobs keep getting in the way) and so we missed the Sunday festivities.

Still, we had a ball and are SO glad we made the trek! Kudos and sincere thanks to the crew in Chicago for staging such a great event. Ya done good!

PS: We've got lotsa pics but haven't figured out how to post them on TC so... we'll email them to James - he of superior technological ablilities - and ask that he do the honors. Thanks!

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-25 10:53 am   Permalink

Okay, here are the best of Bree and Tristan's pics...

Tristan, I was wondering what all of those white spots are on the pic of the Maori meeting house at the Field Museum (glad you made it over there - what a GREAT collection of Oceanic art!), and I finally realized that they are the mother of pearl eyes in all of the Tiki carvings all over the walls. They all caught the light of your flash, and reflected back brightly - what a great effect!

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars on 2003-08-25 11:13 ]

mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-25 5:17 pm   Permalink

Thank you so much James, for your hospitality!
I had a great time meeting new people and seeing old friends. I didn't know you Chicago folk new how to party--I thought us Californians were the only ones!!
So many tiki temples, so little time!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-08-25 5:57 pm   Permalink

Wow, fast with the pics! Thanks for posting them already. I see the Thing from Addams Family made an unexpected appearance at the Kona Kai too (see the disembodied hand on Naomi's shoulder in the second to last pic in JT's post starting with Sven's cake).

Whatta weekend - fun to meet lotsa people and see new sights! I'll post later with photos and more.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-25 7:35 pm   Permalink

Bree & Tristan,
Looks like you guys had a great time. Sorry we couldn't join you. I really regret not being able to go to the Kona Kai, but am really glad you did. JT rocks for setting this up.
Cheers,
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation