FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Exotica 2003: pictures!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Exotica 2003: pictures!
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-25 7:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-25 19:35, Kailuageoff wrote:
Bree & Tristan,
Looks like you guys had a great time. Sorry we couldn't join you. I really regret not being able to go to the Kona Kai, but am really glad you did. JT rocks for setting this up.

Oh Geoff, we truly wish you and wahine Marian were there......you would have LOVED the Hala Kahiki. We had the best time on the party bus with the most fun people!!!!!
I'll send more photos.
Call me, I want to talk to you about new years....
much love
Tiki Bree

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-25 8:07 pm   Permalink

Bree,
Will do. On Sven's advice I went to the Hala Kahiki last Fall and was completely knocked out. I'm going to be in Massachusetts the next few weeks, but let's get together when I get back.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-08-26 01:19 am   Permalink

Here are some of my pics, just from the Kona Kai nite for this first batch. Unfortunately these are mostly scenery and not people, so be warned, I took a boatload of pics...

Giant mug giveaway at the entrance (with Naomi and me)

Naomi, Robin, and Dean (thejab) just inside the entrance.

Moving through the place.

Some people I don't know.

The main "dancefloor" in the middle.

More people I don't know.

More scenery, and the bar in a quiet moment.

Also, here are a couple related pics from the Marriott itself, which houses the Kona Kai.

Here's the look at the building exterior through the ceiling of the covered indoor pool.

The exterior theme on the building. Like wow!

-Randy

[ This Message was edited by: aquarj on 2003-08-26 01:22 ]

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-26 05:39 am   Permalink

Great job on the photos Randy! You really captured the majesty of the old Kona Kai. I enjoyed meeting you and so many of the other Tiki Central folks whos acquaintance I had yet to make. Bruce, Robin & Dean, Alice (so cool to meet up again through Tiki, and we can't thank you enough for the kick-ass mug—you're the best!), Bree and Tristan, Primo James, Jeff (sorry we did not have more time, lets talk soon), it's always a pleasure visiting with Sven and so nice to get to know Naomi. I'm just sad that we had so much going on all weekend that we did not have more time to meet and talk at length with more people. Thanks Dave Lawrence for making Exotica what it was, it would never have happened if not for you! One of the nicest things about Exotica for us was that in addition to the Tiki Central gang who came from so many far off ports, we got to meet other Chicago Tiki fanatics who we had not known previously. So here's to renewing old friendships and making new ones!
Aloha!
-Duke

[ This Message was edited by: boutiki on 2003-08-26 08:39 ]

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-26 08:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-25 20:07, Kailuageoff wrote:
Bree,
Will do. I'm going to be in Massachusetts the next few weeks, but let's get together when I get back.

Your place or mine???????

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-26 08:33 am   Permalink

Aquarj: Thanks for the excellent shots of the Kona Kai! They make me want to cry -- or at least bite my lower lip -- for missing this...
One question though, is that an aquarium or a fish pond, or something else in one of the photos? It looks like an aquarium, but appears to be in the floor.

Bree: They are putting new siding our condo right now, but it sould be done about the time I get back (poor Marian will be suffering through it all). We'll have you guys over as soon as it is done.
Mahalo.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-26 08:36 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-26 08:40 am   Permalink

Geoff,
Great!!! I'll get to meet that fabulous new/old tiki you adopted.........

boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-26 09:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

One question though, is that an aquarium or a fish pond, or something else in one of the photos? It looks like an aquarium, but appears to be in the floor.

Geoff,
What you see in Randy's photos is the lagoon/koi pond below the dance floor (the octagon on stilts). It is fed by the stream which runs from the rock wall/fountain under the bamboo bridge to the lagoon. It used to be stocked with Koi until the Kona Kai closed. Unfortunately the fish are gone but the beautiful lagoon remains.

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-26 10:42 am   Permalink

Does anyone here have a close-up front view of the poles in the Kona Kai?

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-26 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-26 10:42, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Does anyone here have a close-up front view of the poles in the Kona Kai?

Darling, send me your email and I'll send you one. Check your private messages for mine......

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-26 1:53 pm   Permalink

Yet another fabulous tiki event! Mahalo nui loa to all the organizers: Dave & Cindy Lawrence, Dave Krys, Duke & Amy Carter, Dave & Coalbe Vasta, our own darling James Teitelbaum, and last but certainly not least, Captain Dan. What a monster event to pull together, it's amazing that it came together so well. Can't wait until next year. It was great to see the Chicago Trader Vic's (much smaller than I thought it would be, but beautiful of course). Big thanks to Mike at Delilah's for serving up such primo tropical drinks, AND offering up such a nice tasting selection of rums, what a great way to start the day. The Kona Kai was sooooo cool (loved shakin' it on the dancefloor with Purple Jade & Formikahini!), and the Rock-A-Tiki surpassed my expectations! (Biggest. Fork & Spoon. Ever.) JTD, how did you end up, buddy? Hala Kahiki was divine, I could have spent a whole evening there. With all of that, I still feel like we only scratched the surface of tiki. What fun it was to see old friends, and make new ones! James, doing business with you is always a pleasure, lets be sure to do more. Formikahini & Christopher, you were great roomies! (Hey, our keycards worked through the whole weekend!) I got my picture taken with the Famous Mr. Smiley! I slow danced with a big guy from Milwaukee & a super-hot blonde (the one in the white dress w/cherries, right above the pic of Naomi & Sven)! I got to meet Sven!!! But, I have one suggestion for next year, this will improve things a lot: MORE TIKIFISH!! Tikifish, what happened? My Year of Tiki will not be complete if I don't get to meet you!!

Jesus, look at all those exclamation points. That's not like me. I'm sorry, I'll try to tone it down a little. To summarize: I had a very nice time at your tiki party, thank you for inviting me.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Dan

Posted: 2003-08-26 2:07 pm   Permalink

Aloha all!

WOW, what a great weekend. I'm so glad to have met so many great new people, and to now be able to put faces to the names. Thanks to all who came to chi-town, and a special thanks to those of you that rode the tiki bus! I hope everyone had a fantastic time, I know I did. Here are some of my pix. I'll collect pix from my fellow Chicagoans and post those too when i can. again, mahalo.
aloha, -cap'n Dan

(hope my pix embedding works...)

Friday's Stewardess, Kitty!

The Kona Kai smoking lounge

The Rock-a-Tiki mischeif begins

Hala Kahiki!

Sven's presentation

Kon Tiki transPorts rides again!

Tropical Nights Luau. . .

Bree & Purple Jade gettin down

600+ tiki lovers!

The Fires of Polynesia

hang loose

Sassy Mai Tai and the bus crew. Notice the $17 Walgreens boom box, purchased on-the-fly. The bus cassette deck was busted. We needed our Martin Denny.

dance contest!

cocktail time... again

ALL PIX CAN BE VIEWED HERE:
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b328e827a48b

[edited by hanford to fix the last image]

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-08-26 17:37 ]

View Profile of Captain Dan Send a personal message to Captain Dan  Email Captain Dan Goto the website of Captain Dan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-26 5:19 pm   Permalink

One Hawaiian word describes da peopo, da pics and da establishment....ONO!!!!

mahalo fo da picz!!

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-27 06:20 am   Permalink

What happened was a rather intimidating lack of funds, and I decided instead of going further into debt to finance the trip, I would do the responsible thing and stay home. Once Mr. Tikifish gets his immigration papers and is allowed to work in Canada, things will be much different and I can jet set around again like back in the good old days. If I knew how to drive I would have drove down and crashed in someone's hotel room, but I do not have this skill, and to bicycle to Chicago, while an amusing thought, would take 2 weeks... So many forces were conspiring aginst me this year.

<End of sob story>

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-27 10:10 pm   Permalink

Waahhh. There's a big sob story from me too, involving a sudden downturn in my mum's health, but what I feel worst about is messing up Cynful's plans for a road trip by having to pull out at the last moment. Turns out I was right to stay home, but it still just basically sucks.

So, as TC is my witness, I owe her a hell of a consolation present.

James, if I can find my way to Chicago in the foreseeable future, I still want to see Hala Kahiki. I'm so sorry I couldn't make it!!!

(As for the Kona Kai...sigh...sniffle. ARGH.)

PJ, I was so happy to see you relaxing with the famous MrSmiley! Thank you SO MUCH for those lovely tiki pendants--my little goddaughter is raving over her purple one right this very minute!!!

Thanks, folks, for the wonderful pictures!

And, to quote my favorite moose: "next time, for sure!!!"

--tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation