advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Home Tiki Bars Ľ Ľ Trader Jack's Backyard Tiki Bar
Trader Jack's Backyard Tiki Bar
rgordo1147

Posted: 2018-02-10 8:26 pm   Permalink

New member here, but a long-time lurker. Iíd had issues with registering as a member and finally contacted the administrators, who helped me out in very short order. Anyway, I thought Iíd share my backyard tiki bar, which I built about two years ago and which has been evolving ever since. The basic plan is based on a lean-to style I found on Popular Mechanics, modified to suit my needs as a stand-alone structure. I bumped out my existing deck to create the space for the bar and beefed up the structure with Simpson Strong-Tie connectors. Hereís the completed framework:

And with the roof and back wall installedÖ

Now the bar has been installed and a neat little hatch added for character:

a7fc41c.jpg[/img]

And the first iteration of Trader Jackís was complete!

I soon realized I needed more surface area to mount shelves and hang wall ornaments, so I installed some simple paneling on the back wall to accommodate this need. Iíve added quite a bit to it over the past year and a half, using the posts here or inspiration, as well as Trader Samís Grog Grotto at Disney World. Hereís how things are currently:

It's definitely a work in progress and it has been a lot of fun. Thanks for checking it out. Cheers!

View Profile of rgordo1147 Send a personal message to rgordo1147      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-02-10 9:10 pm   Permalink

Welcome! Love your bar. Please share more closeup pictures so we can really appreciate some of the details.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-10 9:18 pm   Permalink

Glad to have you here! Looks like a darn sturdy construction you've got there--that bar's bones are solid. I agree with Hamo, please give us more closeup images we can savor!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rgordo1147

Posted: 2018-02-11 4:50 pm   Permalink

Hamo and Prikli Pear - thanks for the warm welcome and you interest. As requested, here are some close-up photos with more detail. My mug collection is certainly nothing to write home about, but Iíve managed to gather a collection of other interesting artifacts from thrift stores, gifts from friends and family, and the Straw Market in Nassau Bahamas.

Iíve had to put foam inserts in all of my mugs because we have tree frogs around here that love to hang out in them and use Them as porto-potties.

One item Iím particularly fond of is this family tree my wife made. Itís a blatant rip-off of one we saw at Disneyís Trader Samís but she did a great job with it.

And here are the rest. Hope you enjoy,

[ This Message was edited by: rgordo1147 2018-02-11 16:52 ]

View Profile of rgordo1147 Send a personal message to rgordo1147      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-11 9:15 pm   Permalink

That's what I'm talking about! The Family Tree is great--doesn't matter where you got the inspiration from, your wife owned it. Love the sea turtle. Love the tree frogs--just think of them as adding authenticity.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation