FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The ORIGINAL Original Hurricane?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The ORIGINAL Original Hurricane?
thejp2000
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-02-26 12:32 pm   Permalink

AceExplorer: I'm totally with you. The flavor is the most important thing (and I too have been disappointed by the muddy or cloudy appearance of some vintage drinks). Honestly, I didn't care what the Hurricane looked like, as long as it tasted good. I've seen quite a few articles and blog posts stating that the original hurricane must have been orange-ish yellow, and somewhere along the line, some bartender must have decided to add a bunch of grenadine or red food coloring. What I began piecing together though is that the original vintage recipe most likely used fassionola, which not only gave it it's distinctive flavor, but also would account for the red color, and the real reason everyone associates the Hurricane with being red. I'm not looking to make a red drink; I could've just dumped in a bunch of food coloring for that. But in using ingredients that are quite possibly very close to the original recipe, I wound up with a red drink. My point is, the Hurricane didn't suddenly spontaneously morph into being red, from what I can tell it originally WAS red, based on the ingredients. (And again, that's all just speculation.)

Also, as I said, one of my primary goals is to create a drink that tastes good. I've been making quite a few Hurricanes lately using my own recipe, but the other night I had run out of fassionola and I was too lazy to mix up some more, so I just went with the Beachbum Berry recipe, and I have to say I far prefer my own recipe with the fassionola. It's got a much more complex flavor and texture. (I'm sure I'm not biased at all!)

Chester Copperpot: Yeah, I have no idea how sweet the Jonathon English's Fassionola is. If it's like a lot of syrups, it could very well be a rich syrup ratio rather than a simple syrup ratio, which would make it a lot sweeter. I'd just use your best discretion. I started out with just an ounce of the fassionola I had mixed up, and it was still a little too tart for my tastes. I kept bumping it up until I arrived at 2 oz. (Although I don't really put in a full 2 oz.; it's somewhere between 1.75 and 2 oz.) Also remember that my passion fruit syrup is half as sweet as normal, based on Doug Winship's recipe. It definitely is a sweet drink though, I'll grant you that. If you try adding the fassionola, let me know how it goes!

mmaurice: Looks like a good recipe! Very similar to another variation I would often make, which I found here:
http://looka.gumbopages.com/2010/05/08/the-original-hurricane-cocktail/

[ This Message was edited by: thejp2000 2018-02-26 12:34 ]

View Profile of thejp2000 Send a personal message to thejp2000      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-07-24 6:37 pm   Permalink

Hey folks, I'm very late to this Hurricane party, but I never got an invitation :>(

I don't want to wade into the murky history of this cocktail, other than agree that what we know today as fassionola or some variation was likely the original syrup, not passion fruit. I've never been to Pat O'Brien's in New Orleans, but I know that the Hurricane mix they sell in stores is a horrible version of fassionola. I discuss my brief use of this mix in the Cobra Kiss review mentioned above.

The "original" version published by the Bum is great, but I also like to experiment with variations. In 2014, I posted the "Mai-Kai Hurricane," which includes fassionola AND passion fruit syrup, plus some other signature Mai-Kai ingredients ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/07/15/tales-of-the-cocktails-signature-drink-packs-a-wallop-but-can-it-tame-a-hurricane-inspired-by-the-mai-kai/

It was awesome to have my drink served one night at The Mai-Kai ...

Okole maluna!

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Daywalker

Posted: 2018-07-25 3:36 pm   Permalink

BG Reynolds put out a Kickstarter recently to bring back some of the "forgotten" syrups of tiki past, and fassionola is one of the syrups. Eagerly anticipating the two bottles I ordered to see how it stacks up to the homemade version in my fridge.

View Profile of The Daywalker Send a personal message to The Daywalker      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-07-27 6:51 pm   Permalink

Yes, I expect a quality product from Blair. I've tried a few other products out there, and they're not quite on the mark.

Quote:

On 2018-07-25 15:36, The Daywalker wrote:
BG Reynolds put out a Kickstarter recently to bring back some of the "forgotten" syrups of tiki past, and fassionola is one of the syrups. Eagerly anticipating the two bottles I ordered to see how it stacks up to the homemade version in my fridge.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation