FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Cap City Tiki Crawl (October 5,6,7 2018)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Cap City Tiki Crawl (October 5,6,7 2018)
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 21 days ago; 07:59 am   Permalink

Sacramento Crawl mug for October 2018. More production steps.

For the next three days we will glaze just the inside and the bottom of each mug. To start the "capillary" action I had Dan spray water into each mug.

At thrift stores I buy heavy glass vases that will fit my mugs when they are upside down. I use them to drain the extra glaze.

I fill up a pitcher with glaze that I will pour into the mug. I let it drip into the pitcher and then put it into the vase to continue dripping.

Since the mug is now upside down I can glaze the bottom. I leave a box where I can add the number of the mug.

With volcanos it doesn't matter it I over fill and have an accident. It will all work out.

The last jars of glaze had firmed up. Trying to blend it with a spoon wasn't working. A regular mixer doesn't work, too messy.

However at a thrift store I had found this blender to use to mix my slip. It worked perfectly with blending the glaze.

Now the glaze was once again creamy. But I was worn out and so I covered the bowl with plastic wrap and called it a day (and night).

So many steps! Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 21 days ago; 5:06 pm   Permalink

Hi Folks...we are getting close to our crawl. We lost one host so now have 2 Saturday morning openings if anyone would like to host. I am willing to help you in what ever way I can. The times are:

10 to 1145am

and

12noon to 1:30pm

I will need everyone's email addresses to send out our location addresses. Either post here or send it to me in a message.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 20 days ago; 08:08 am   Permalink

VampiressRN had important information just ahead of this post. Don't miss it.

The Sacramento Crawl mug for October 5, 6 and 7, 2018.

After three days I had all the insides glazed.

Here is a view from the opposite end.

A few didn't fit on those tables and ended up in the dining room. I covered all three tables with plastic to keep off the dust.

When a spike is ruined by an overrun of glaze I set them aside to use when glazing with a spray gun.

I'm always looking for ways to speed up the process. I found a large turntable at a thrift store.

On top of that I put five more turn tables and put the spikes on top of those.

Did I have enough of this glaze for the outside of the mug. NOPE so of course we went back to Alpha fired Arts again.

Judging glaze is hard. The pour in and out takes more glaze than when you spray it. However these mugs are so large that spraying took more glaze than expected.

Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 19 days ago; 07:24 am   Permalink

The Sacramento Crawl mug production. Here are some misc. photos from June 9th to June 15th, 2018.

Every step is repeated 3 times to get three layers. The air compressor jar is heavy for me to lift as are the mugs.

I put five mugs in place upon the metal spikes. Then I squirt all the sides with water to get the "capillary action" going so the glaze will stick well.

Then I did a layer all the way around the volcano. I had a black insides and a dark grey outsides and so it was fine to have overspray into the volcano.

Three layers done wasn't fast but once done Dan carried

them to Couroc trays so dry. I love these tray because they stack so well in a cupboard.

If I didn't have the volcanos on these spikes when spraying the turnwheels would get gummy with glaze which would stick on the bottom of my mugs making a mess. I learned this with the first mug I made. At the end of each glazing day we completely wash everything otherwise the glaze dries on hard and it's difficult to get it scrubbed off.

More days and more spraying.

I was lucky that these were not triple digit days. The air compressor is loud so we wait until 8 am to start.

I did figure out right away that keeping my arm at one height as I went around was faster. I would do all the tops, then the middle and then the bottom. Having them on a turn table made this possible.

The air compressor would clog up frequently so I kept a wire handy. Also the three bottles started upright and with each layer I would lay one down. It's easy when tired to lose count. Dan thought this up.

6 days to do around 90 mugs.

Dan carried them in and out of the house

He also set them on the spikes. These are so big and heavy they wore me out.

Slowly over the days they filled the hall tables back up.

They are NOT done. This was the base color next up all the detail work. I do love doing these crawl mugs each year. This one is number nine.

Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 18 days ago; 07:55 am   Permalink

More glazing steps for the Sacramento Crawl mug for October 5th, 6th and 7th, 2018. This took two brutal days, June 16th and 17th. These mugs weigh 3 to 4 pounds each so both days were long and required heavy lifting for me.

This photo shows how very little glaze got to the bottom when spraying all the mugs. I just wiped it off with a wet cloth.

Dan only held this one mug for a photo and then he disappeared and left me to do the rest. This is the heavy lifting part. I dip the mup into the lava glaze and then held it until it stopped dripping.

I would do five or six and the then

I would go around each one and paint the lava glaze to make the run down the volcano more realistic. Two layers for this effect.

When I would fill up a couple of trays Dan would come and remove them to the hallway tables and bring me the next couple of trays.

The tables filled up and by nightfall the second day this step had been completed. This was a couple of 14 hour days.

Watch out the volcanos are active! Wendy

____

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 17 days ago; 06:40 am   Permalink

More steps for the Sacramento Crawl mug. These were taken from June 18th to July 1st. Even by then these steps hadn't been completed but I stopped doing more photos because they would just look the same. We just kept on working.

Once the mugs were dry we began to bring them into the kitchen for the next glazing steps.

I used a huge syringe to run the red glaze down the sides of the volcano.

Before this glaze could dry I added red and black crystals to it. This will insure the red comes out with a rich red color but that there are also specs of black like real lava has as it cools.

Then to make sure these crystals don't pop off I do another layer of red glaze on top of them.

Here you can see the two bowls of crystals in black and red. Sold by Duncan they come in even more colors.

Next I did a thin layer of green glaze on the sides of the volcano. I want the mug to have a green tinge since most volcanos have some foliage growing on their sides until the day the go off.

It takes days just to get this many done. But since the kitchen is full of volcanos there's no cooking going on. We HAVE to go out.

Another round of volcanos are brought into the kitchen.

As I finish a tray completely it is carried by Dan to

the kiln shed. I can't fire until I'm sure they are completely dry.

We bough our home on a Friday the 13th, we signed up for a smart phone on a Friday the 13th, we bought our new car this July on Friday the 13th. So when I loaded the kiln and 13 mugs fit perfectly on the two levels I felt lucky.

Not all of them come out perfectly so I had to re-glaze some and fire them a second time. However we started this process October 2017 right after the crawl so we are ahead of schedule and feeling very happy.

More photos to come, Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 16 days ago; 08:20 am   Permalink

The Sacramento Crawl mug production photos from 6/15/18 until 7/4/18. Yep we were boxing crawl mugs on the 4th of July!

Dan's job was to put all the boxes together.

He stacked them on our living room couch.

I signed and numbered all the cards that go into the boxes with the mugs to match.

I call our home a tiki factory because everywhere you look there are tiki mugs and

tiki mugs and

more tiki mugs.

My job was to number the boxes on three sides and then match the card and mug to the box. Then I slid it over to Dan.

He tore up all the stiff wrapping paper he would need.

He wrapped each mug and sealed the box.

My next job was to line the mugs in the hallway were they would sit until the crawl.

This went on for a couple of days. These are huge mugs.

The mug is done and ready to pose for inspection.

I will try to remember to bring looooooooooong straws to the crawl for those of you who wish to drink a quart or two from the mug during the crawl. Suitable for mile too.

Cheers, Wendy

VampiressRN

Posted: 14 days ago; 8:13 pm   Permalink

More to come but we have a full complement of hosts.

Friday, October 5
(Sacramento)
4-7pm – Jungle Bird
7:15-10pm = McTikis

Saturday, October 6
(Roseville to Sacramento)
10am -12pm – Brittany
12pm – 1:30pm – Kurt Biddle
2-5pm – Scott’s Tiki Bar
6-10pm – Brenda’s Tiki Hut

Sunday, October 7
(Sacramento & Elk Grove)
10am -12:30pm – Swanberg’s/Lauren
1:30pm – 5pm – Headhunter Hideaway

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2018-09-10 09:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2018-09-10 09:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2018-09-10 09:58 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 12 days ago; 6:39 pm   Permalink

Melissa Sangiocoma wants a mug Wendy. Thanks

Polynesian Paddy

Posted: 10 days ago; 08:22 am   Permalink

I will be attending the crawl without my usual traveling companion, who will be somewhere between Cuba and Madagascar that weekend.

View Profile of Polynesian Paddy Send a personal message to Polynesian Paddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 07:09 am   Permalink

cant wait.

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation