FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Bathrooms --- The Bahi Hut is getting new ones
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Bathrooms --- The Bahi Hut is getting new ones
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-16 06:55 am   Permalink

The one thing that DOES need changed at the Bahi Hut is the bathrooms. They are sad. They are being gutted soon and new bathrooms installed. They are small so we can't do a Mai Kai treatment to them, but we'd like to do some decorating in there. What are some good bathroom ideas we could incorporate?

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-16 07:05 am   Permalink

I've no idea what they're like now (I can imagine) but first off I'd recommend easy cleaning and maintenance. Bare concrete floors that are etched and stained for a warm, Earth-toned tropical feel, then sealed, for obvious reasons. Maybe wainscotting of PVC faux-bamboo, again, for obvious reasons. I worked in a moderately upscale restaurant throughout my high school years, and even there I had to clean up some truly wretched stuff.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-02-16 07:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-16 07:05, Prikli Pear wrote:
...then sealed, for obvious reasons.

Yes, sealed, definitely, we all know how we can be, hahaha!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-16 09:32 am   Permalink

I always liked the Purple Orchid ladies bathroom. They took apart Sven's Book of tiki and put all the pictures up on the walls. You can use any tiki pictures. Here's a picture I found on TC. The lighting was much dimmer inside.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hearn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-02-16 09:32 am   Permalink

A few ideas

https://www.houzz.com/product/84547093-seashell-clam-beach-lake-bathroom-vessel-sink-beach-style-bathroom-sinks

https://www.houzz.com/product/100993735-30-midcentury-modern-wine-barrel-bath-vanity-espresso-finish-without-mirror-w-midcentury

https://www.oceanicarts.net/oa_cat-moldings-trim.htm

https://www.oceanicarts.net/oa_cat-wall-decor-all.htm

https://www.oceanicarts.net/oa_cat-nautical-shipsaccessories.htm

https://www.oceanicarts.net/oa_cat-nautical-shipsrigging.htm

http://www.franksupply.com/tropical/specialty-products.html#wallpaper

[ This Message was edited by: Hearn 2018-02-16 09:37 ]

View Profile of Hearn Send a personal message to Hearn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-02-16 09:50 am   Permalink

Make it fun and memorable with humorous signage. "Tikify" it if possible.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-16 09:50 am   Permalink

Here's a few bathroom selfies of Tiki chippy off of Instagram. First one is Trader Sam's and second Royal Hawaiian. hehe

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-02-16 1:32 pm   Permalink

Tropical or earthtone tiles would work well. If I lived closer I could come do a mosaic

You can add a few "Tiki" elements into a wall of commercial tile for a reasonable cost

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-02-16 2:38 pm   Permalink

Not tiki but the best start to this remodel would be to ask 2 or 3 plumbers what are the best and worst bathroom fixtures to buy to replace old ones, that is if you do replace the old fixtures.

I know a plumber that HATES Moen as they are hard / costly to fix.

That hard teak wood may be a good trim to use as it's not painted and will stand up to abuse.
And unlike bamboo or PVC it does not crate as much of a home for say roaches in the cavities in things like bamboo.

If you do use Bamboo boric acid dusted on the inside of the bamboo will help kill roaches and other bugs that may come by in the future.

Doors that you can open from the outside as in with a key are good in case some nut job locks themselves in the bathroom and won't come out.
This happened to us, and we sold no booze.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Doug

Posted: 2018-02-16 5:29 pm   Permalink

I'd put money into lighting over wall coverings. A really cool tiki bar will have the same ambient light level in the bathroom as in the bar - plus a little extra white light near the mirror. A work light with a hidden switch is a must. Of course, if the bar is bright as hell then it doesn't matter what's going on in the bathroom.

Push-button locks enable single-handed drunken door closure.

View Profile of Tiki Doug Send a personal message to Tiki Doug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-17 03:52 am   Permalink

I will echo what Hearn mentioned with getting a clamshell sink. I've seen them at several tiki locations and I always admire them as a nice touch.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-17 09:01 am   Permalink

And I'm sure you've reached out to LuRu over on the other coast. She does *amazing* custom tile work.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-17 1:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-16 09:32, hiltiki wrote:
I always liked the Purple Orchid ladies bathroom. They took apart Sven's Book of tiki and put all the pictures up on the walls. You can use any tiki pictures. Here's a picture I found on TC. The lighting was much dimmer inside.

that blue and white tile though.......

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Email nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MolokaiMaiden

Posted: 2018-02-18 2:34 pm   Permalink

I loved the bathrooms at Vancouver's Shameful Tiki Room. I figured I could find some bathroom selfies that had been geotagged there on Instagram to show you what they look like, but there were surprisingly very few! It's basically record covers or tiki/Hawaiian artwork in long bamboo frames.
They also have Crazy Al's tiki light switch covers in their bathrooms, it was the first place I had seen them and after that I had to buy one for my tiki room!
http://tikimania.com/store/light-switch-plates/
Here's the instagram photos I could find.. selfie blurred to protect the innocent.

View Profile of MolokaiMaiden Send a personal message to MolokaiMaiden      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scott McGerik
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-02-18 5:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-17 13:41, nomeus wrote:that blue and white tile though.......

They clearly need more posters.

View Profile of Scott McGerik Send a personal message to Scott McGerik  Goto the website of Scott McGerik     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation