FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Art Swap 2018 - Dream Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
Art Swap 2018 - Dream Tiki
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 09:22 am   Permalink

Wendy, sorry been AWOL from TC. They made the noise and ran away. I stuck my head out the window and couldn't see them. We now have a full alarm system installed. My first instinct was to make sure Tiki Ari was okay. The old guard dog slept through it all, though. His one time to shine, and ... didn't. Sleepy old dog, what can you do?

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 14 days ago; 11:45 am   Permalink

Give him a break, he's only got three legs!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 13 days ago; 3:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-04 23:02, danlovestikis wrote:
tikitube thank you, I appreciate that remark. This is a really fun event in which to participate. I hope you do a project.

Thanks, I'm working on it! My work is basically digital vector collage and experiments with typography, so "tiki" as an art theme is new to me. That being said, I have this image which was my first attempt at something tiki:

I printed it on canvas and stretched it. Then I picked up a vintage frame for it, and refinished it. It looks pretty good, but doesn't really qualify as something created specifically for this art swap. Sooo...I decided to try something brand new. Since the theme this year is "Dream Tiki", I first tried to think of what that could mean to me.

I was watching that Attenborough in Paradise series that someone recommended on here not too long ago, and in the Easter Island episode he is basically trying to find the origin of a rare wood carving that he picked up at an auction. He would get so excited about it as he traveled around the world, hunting through museum collections. It dawned on me that it wasn't so different from those of us who regularly go thrifting. In my part of the country, I get giddy and excited when I find anything remotely tiki. It's always exciting to try and find out where items came from. I would even admit to "dreaming" of finding something so rare and authentic as the carving he found!

And so, his carving has become the inspiration for a new piece of art, representing the "birth" of the tiki dream.
Here's the source inspiration - Attenborough's Easter Island carvng:

And here's what I've got so far:

I'm still working on the "birth" aspect of the design...playing around with a foetus idea.
Now I just need to get past the fact that it reminds me of Admiral Ackbar...it's a trap!

Cheers,

Jeff

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 04:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

I'm still working on the "birth" aspect of the design...playing around with a foetus idea.

Oooh, the Star Child from 2001 meets tiki...

Quote:

Now I just need to get past the fact that it reminds me of Admiral Ackbar...it's a trap!

Glad you said it first! My need to make jokes can't repel a setup of that magnitude.

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 12 days ago; 10:15 pm   Permalink

Admiral Ackbar

Very cool TikiTube, glad to see you jumping in.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 11 days ago; 07:13 am   Permalink

TikiAno you'll would have needed to nudge him into action but the alarm system is a great idea. We put ours on at night and sleep peacefully. I'm really happy to see you pop in here.

MadDogMike four with the kickstand!

tikitube I envy anyone who can do art with a computer helper. I can barely do email. Now I have a notice to change my browser or lose Paypal access. I think I may need the Geek Squad! I really like the first tiki style, very cool.

Joshua Bell humor is so welcome. I love to smile.

MadDogMike its going to be another fun swap. Thank you for the "step up to the plate" and get it going you do so often.

hang10tiki time for another count down update.

Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 5 days ago; 10:43 pm   Permalink

Stopped at the craft store and dollar store today for some supplies.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 06:10 am   Permalink

Go Hamo!!!!!

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 06:15 am   Permalink

Hamo those supplies are intriguing! Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 6:04 pm   Permalink

Lookin good everyone

HOW MANY DAYS LEFT?

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 10:21 am   Permalink

Been a while, but finally got started. Fingers crossed that this here thing will work!

First, pulled out a bag of B-3 Brown clay. This is the clay body that turns black when fired- almost like lava. While I think it's beautiful, it isn't too accepting of many glazes. I thought it was time to give it a try...

I then rolled out a slab, and added texture with my handy stone textured mat...

I quickly hand built a cylinder. and didn't take a photo of it.

I thought it might be funny to dream about tiki in a dungeon, then thought whoever was in the dungeon would need an alarm clock...

I used a different (white colored) clay body, and attached it to the brown clay. I've done this before, and it's worked okay. Fingers are still crossed. It's 5 o clock... somewhere, so they say.

Some dream clouds were added, along with a Moai snoozing....

And a few "Zzzzz's" for clarity.

Now it dries and sets up. I plan on carving into the dream clouds- and figure out how to glaze this thing without it exploding. Due to the ingredients in the brown clay, it makes it quite finicky when firing it glazed. I've had multiple discussions with Laguna Clay about this, but I have a few ideas I'm going to try. Hopefully it will be done (or crack) in time for me to make another one in time for the Art Swap deadline!

Yikes!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: Yesterday; 10:49 am   Permalink

How exciting TikiAno! Hope it makes it!

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 2:15 pm   Permalink

It’s 5 o’clock here

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation