FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Finding and Fixing an Old Walt Disney World Drink
Finding and Fixing an Old Walt Disney World Drink
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-25 5:34 pm   Permalink

The excellent Disney fan blog Passport to Dreams Old and New has an ongoing feature of theme-park based drinks. In the latest installment, the writer found an old Walt Disney World recipe - the Seven Seas Drink - tried it, discovered it was terrible, and tried to fix it. It's a fun read: http://passport2dreams.blogspot.ca/2018/02/lets-have-drink-on-it-seven-seas-drink.html

[ This Message was edited by: EnchantedTikiGoth 2018-02-26 07:54 ]

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-26 08:55 am   Permalink

To paraphrase Monty Python, "I'll have the orange, orange, orange, orange, orange and orange!"

Egads, but that original recipe looked grim. Unless Orange Slush is your thing, in which case, jackpot!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CosmoReverb
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-02-26 10:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-26 08:55, Prikli Pear wrote:
To paraphrase Monty Python, "I'll have the orange, orange, orange, orange, orange and orange!"

Egads, but that original recipe looked grim. Unless Orange Slush is your thing, in which case, jackpot!

Man, you ain't kidding! Half of an orange, OJ, curaçao, *and* triple sec?!?!?!

jeez...

View Profile of CosmoReverb Send a personal message to CosmoReverb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-26 10:56 am   Permalink

I think the place to start would be to pick curacao OR triple sec. Two orange liqueurs in one drink sounds like something a lobbyist for the orange liqueur industry would concoct. The sour mix augmented with a tiny bit of fresh lemon also needs to go, just a bigger pour of fresh lemon sweetened with simple syrup. I'd start with something like this:

3/4 oz lemon
3/4 oz orange
1/2 oz rock candy syrup
1/2 oz orange liqueur
2 oz blend of light and dark rums (or maybe 3 oz...)
1 barspoon grenadine
1 dash angostura

mixing it like we normally would, ie just shaking or spindle mixing, rather than all that stop-and-go building and stirring, and garnish with an orange wheel rather than leaving a partly spent orange half in the glass.

The most interesting part of that recipe to me is the Lemon Hart Mai Tai rum. I knew that Vic would eventually start bottling his own MT rum and I knew that LH bottled Jamaican in addition to its Demerara, but I never new that Disney had its own private bottling for Mai Tais too. The suggestion of using Myer's and Bacardi together makes me think it could be a blend of rich dark rums cut with lighter rums to keep the cost down. Anyone have any info on what marques LH would have used back then?

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-26 4:34 pm   Permalink

Can we substitute the Angostura Bitters with Orange Bitters instead?

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2018-02-26 16:35 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 6 days ago; 3:18 pm   Permalink

FoxxFur recently posted another entry in the series. This one is a punch inspired by Adventureland which sounds pretty good.

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2018/11/lets-have-drink-on-it-adventureland.html

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation