[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau vs tiki kon
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hukilau vs tiki kon
santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-23 3:05 pm   Permalink

I'm looking to go to either tiki kon, hukilau or another multi day non California tiki event. I'm somewhat familiar with Portland and not with Fort Lauderdale. Other then the geographical /physical locations, and climate, what are the main differences between those events? Also is one easier to navigate without a rental car, using public transit or uber/lyft? Does one have events that are closer together? Is one less expensive including event tickets and close by hotels?
(Of course airfare is a big cost)..
I didn't see recent info here on tiki central.
Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: santa 2018-03-27 14:37 ]

View Profile of santa Send a personal message to santa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-23 3:07 pm   Permalink

Does either event have more no-charge hotel room parties? Those are a highlight of any convention.

View Profile of santa Send a personal message to santa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-24 07:15 am   Permalink

Don't forget about Ohana Luau at the Lake, which has all of that stuff you asked about.....room crawls, hotels walking distance to the host hotel for overflow, non-California, best bang for your buck in tiki, by far (INCLUDES full luau dinner & Polynesian show!)

BUT - we're SOLD OUT for 2018 - sold out in 36 hours (!!!!!), though there is a waitlist......!

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/ohana/

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-24 08:28 am   Permalink

Why are you mentioning it? The others are not sold out. It's easy to sell out tickets when a party has a very low attendance capacity limit. It would be harder to sell out a 10,000 person tiki festival.

[ This Message was edited by: santa 2018-03-24 08:37 ]

santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-24 08:34 am   Permalink

I like the all inclusive part since all the other tiki fests nickel and dime guests with add on charges. But then yours says
"Thursday Night Kickoff Party Lac du Saint Sacrement Steamship Cruise: $50/attendee"!

Tiki Doug

Posted: 2018-03-24 08:46 am   Permalink

I can't speak to Tiki Kon, but the Hukilau is all about seeing the Mai Kai and the Wreck Bar. Both events are going to have great bands and symposiums, but Ft. Lauderdale is like Mecca. You have to see the Mai Kai at least once in your lifetime.

The Hukilau does not focus on room parties; although, they do happen. Don't rent a car because parking is expensive, taxis are cheap, and the event has shuttles between the hotels and the Mai Kai.

View Profile of Tiki Doug Send a personal message to Tiki Doug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-24 08:51 am   Permalink

I have not been to Tiki Kon yet, so I can't compare. I really want to get to it though. It seems a little smaller as they do a home bar tour. Maybe that part is smaller. That's good.

Hukilau is a no car needed event. Everything at the hotel or the Mai-Kai and there are shuttles to the Mai-Kai or share a taxi/uber or hitch a ride with someone driving. There are no formal room crawls and the room party has not been a big thing there for a while. Last few years it's been hanging out at the pool late nights instead.

Hukilau is pretty non-stop like Tiki Oasis. You don't have to do everything, but if you do you'll be going from about 10AM to midnight or later. Some described it to me as Hukilau and TO are no downtime, Ohana is all down time. I do not try to attend everything, but I am not a normal attendee at Hukilau being a speaker usually. I'm hosting a free cocktail event in one of the rooms this year TBA.

Look at the Hukilau event schedule. See if there is enough to make you want to go. The Mai-Kai is certainly worth getting to. Saturday night with live exotica bands playing and hundreds of Tiki fans in a bright array of aloha wear is very special.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-24 09:04 am   Permalink

It seems like reservations are required to get into the mai kai for the duration of hukilau. Is that right?

Tiki Republic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-24 10:39 pm   Permalink

Tiki Con Arizona this Friday, March 30, 2018. The Rhythm Room in Phoenix.
https://www.tikicon.com/

Checkout tiki Arizona style. Surf and rockabilly, burlesque, exotica and lounge, vintage car show, tropical drinks, island BBQ, tikis and more.

Tiki Republic will be in the house!

View Profile of Tiki Republic Send a personal message to Tiki Republic  Email Tiki Republic Goto the website of Tiki Republic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-25 5:11 pm   Permalink

If it was a full weekend I'd go. Looks great! Expand it to Friday-Sunday

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-26 04:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-24 09:04, santa wrote:
It seems like reservations are required to get into the mai kai for the duration of hukilau. Is that right?

Only Saturday. The Mai-Kai is essentially reserved for a private party Saturday and you have to have a Hukilau wrist band to enter. ANd you have to have a 1st dinner show reservation to enter when they open. It's a crowd control thing. 600 people can't fit int he Molokai Bar...

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-26 05:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-25 17:11, santa wrote:
If it was a full weekend I'd go. Looks great! Expand it to Friday-Sunday

"more no-charge hotel room parties? Those are a highlight of any convention"

So if they add two more days on you will come and spend very little cash?
These events can't live on room parties, they need to generate revenue to be able to pay for the venue and bands etc.

And even the "we do it for the Charity" events get perks or flat out make money to host the event.

Yes, they do it for the money.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-26 09:04 am   Permalink

Swanky is right, the Hukilau has not been room-party-centric. BUT:

1) A few people at the Hukilau still have room parties, and I attended a very good one last year which was hosted by a very friendly and generous TC'er. So they do occur.
2) The Hukilau has an incredible outdoor pool party with no-limit bar tents from a dizzying array of international bars and bartenders. Plus they have the most boozy "Tiki Tower Takeover" which is also no-limits, world-class, expensive to put on, and in the stunning rotating restaurant atop the tower. These events are so good that they really eclipse any room parties. Sure, it costs money to attend. But if you're coming from out-of-state or from another continent, you're guaranteed a spot and you will have a very good time. This totally makes sense - these are premium and high-quality events and experiences.
3) The Hukilau cocktail and rum seminars are of very high quality, and you can do plenty of drinking there.
4) Evenings are perfect for room parties, but then you'd miss out on the lineup of musical performers, so it is hard to have both going on without drawing the ire of attendees. It's a case of which do you want more - top-notch musical entertainment in a larger venue with cocktails, or room parties in much smaller venues? Both have pros and cons, so I'm just saying that you can't judge easily in light of the magnitude of the musical talent which is offered.

The "success" of the event for me is how I manage what the organizers offer. Room parties, while loads of fun, are easily overshadowed by the magnitude of what the organizers are presenting. Best example is how the pool party has a ton of attendies, a ton of tents and cocktails, and relatively short lines to be served. Plus the bars give away some really cool swizzles and a few other things you will really appreciate.

I hope that helps with your investigation.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-26 5:35 pm   Permalink

Tikiskip we all know that half or more of the revenue of these events is made from vendor sales, add on sales, room sales, food sales and drink sales.
The room party sponsors are bars and liquor companies. They are doing marketing and sales promotion. I haven't seen the books but if the tiki fests were not profitable they wouldn't continue.
It's impossible to go to any tiki fest and not spend money.
Also all the venues are gaining valuable publicity. It's obviously a win win.

CosmoReverb
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-26 6:14 pm   Permalink

The choice might be a bit moot as far as this year is concerned. I believe that Tiki Kon is sold out.

I have not yet been to either (Going to Tiki Kon this year though!) but from what I understand, I believe what has been stated is true. Tiki Kon = more intimate, Hukilau = bigger fiesta.

View Profile of CosmoReverb Send a personal message to CosmoReverb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation